Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • HELP my maxle is stuck
  • Highland28
    Free Member

Hi all,
    The maxle in my revelations is stuck (forgot to grease it doh) anyway I have tried hitting it with a rubber mallet (clarkson style ha) with no avail. I also tries heating the lowers up with boiling water but again no luck.
    Any other tactics?
    Need the wheel off asap, it’s got to go in a bike bag.
    Cheers

dangerousbeans
    Free Member

Do you mean you can’t unscrew it? If so it might be the same problem as mine.

Check that the cones which do the expanding are releasing properly and popping loose when you undo the QR bit. If not then fully unscrew the QR and use it to waggle the cones so they release.

HTH

Highland28
    Free Member

Still no luck unfortunately, basically it is unscrewing on the threaded side but not releasing on the other?!?
    Anyone else got an opinion?

wwaswas

just soak the lot in a spray type penetrating oil, wait and hope for the best?

you’ll have to check the wheel bearigns after as it will flush them a bit.

does sound liek it’s corroded to the inside of the hub.

Highland28
    Free Member

I wouldn’t have thought it would be corroded tothe hub, it’s a 2 month old set of forks and the maxle has only been in for a few weeks.

wwaswas

well, it was the ‘forgot to grease it’ bit that made me think something’s got wet and corroded to somethign else.

Drac

They do corrode just enough to stick, use a dowelling rod and a proper hammer it’ll pop free.

Highland28
    Free Member

Ok yeh I think you are right with the bearings corroding onto the maxle. Soaking it in wd40 ATM. Do you think there is anything else I can do? Having tries the dowel and hammer
    Method too. It’s driving me mad!!

almightydutch
    Free Member

Can you rotate the wheel spacers? I’ve seen them get filled with crap and bein a pain.

Failing that….bigger whack needed with the hammer. I’d be be worried of hittin it too but brace both sides of the fork leg and oooooopmh.

EDIT:Why boiling water anyway? Surely freezing cold would make it contract

Highland28
    Free Member

Spacers turn when I turn the maxle, just not releasing from the non-threaded side. might out again after dinner and see if I can get. Might just go and find the biggest hammer I can find 🙂

carbon337
    Free Member

this happened to mine yesterday – whack the shit out and a bit more and try and twist the wheel a bit with the pressure off the maxle

jamest
    Free Member

All the ideas above seem good, I had this and used a length of old handlebar over the end of the qr as a lever, u can then gently persuade it undone with a hammer, a good soak (over a day with repeated spraying) with wd40 or similar might help

STATO
    Free Member
    GreenRoom
    Free Member

I had one of these in work the other day. The bearing inner race in the hub had minor corrosion and was frozen onto the maxxle.

Applied loads of penetrating oil, twatted as per above with hammer and soft drift. Nothing doing.

It really helps to strap the fork lowers together very firmly with some kind of substantial luggage strap as this prevents the hammering from simply separating the legs. I used thule roof straps and had to hit it harder than I really wanted to at first and was resigned to knackering the maxxle and ordering a new one.

The straps made all the difference and it came out easily in the end. Sanded the corrosion, greased the parts and off it went.

Woody

Highland28
    Free Member

Strapped it up. One leg on the ground, bit of wood/ cloth for protection. Hitting R/H side as hard as I dare with nothing even budging. It’s really starting to wind me up now!!!

STATO
    Free Member

make sure before you hit it you have unscrewed the axle a little, so the wheel has somewhere to move to.

So..

Unscrew 1/4 turn,
    lay fork with left hand side down (supported on tip of maxle)
    hit right hand fork leg
    repeat…

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘HELP my maxle is stuck’ is closed to new replies.