• This topic has 10 replies, 10 voices, and was last updated 14 years ago by Nick.
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Help! My mate is threatening to buy an Appoll full-suss…
  • nim

Ok score is my mate wants a bike to potter around with his kids, for rides to the park etc. He wants a mountain bike style of bike and he's seen an Appollo full sus for £160 (down from 330 or so) which in my opinion is pretty ming. That's about his budget. I've tried telling him about spending a bit more and getting a basic hardtail for £220+ and that less may be more at this price point.

Anyone know of anything suitable around the £150 mark? He has no intention of getting into MTBing but I don't want him buying something that won't be good value or fun for him to ride.

Ta,

uplink
    Free Member

TBH – he'll probably enjoy the Apollo & wonder what the hell you were going on about

If he's anywhere near a Decathlon this is worth a look
    http://www.decathlon.co.uk/EN/rockrider-5-1-men-s-34963402/#INFO-DETAIL

Kramer
    Free Member

Tell him your considered opinion, then let him make his choice.

MTB-Idle
    Free Member

let him learn the hard way although if he really is just riding round the park the apollo will probably do him ok.

Let's face it, he will use it twice then stick it in the back garden and never touch it again.

nim

Cheers guys.

He may go down the bike to work scheme if he can get it, so hopfelly be able to get something better for less.

Also told him to test ride anything he's considering buying. Hence if he likes the ride of the Appollo full-suss, then who am I to argue?!}

Thanks

whytetrash

2nd hand?..best bet on a budget that tight…pass him some old MTB mags where they say spend £500 to get anything safe to offroad with might convince him!

stumpyjon

Trouble if is he's not into biking he's probably still got a nominal figure of £ 100 in his head for a decent bike so £ 160 probably sounds pretty expensive and exotic.

Most people have not idea and don't won't to know or spend what a half secent bike costs. I've lost count of the number of times someone says your bike cost more than my car 🙄

Explain your position, point out a full suss has a lot more moving bits and therefore a hardtail for the same price will be better. If he still wants his appollo he'll buy it anyway cos he thinks it's cool.

Harry_the_Spider

Chap at work stopped me today and said he wanted to commute by bike. He had a ride round the car park on mine (an Uncle John) then asked how much it was. The shock nearly killed him.

To us lot blowing a grand doesn't seem to register, but mention it to a non cyclist and you suddenly get a reality check.

grumm
    Free Member

You don't need to spend a grand to get a reasonable bike for commuting/pottering around on – you probably do need to spend around £250 though.

snowslave

I reckon if he wants to go proper mountain biking with you, he'll work it out for himself that a bike like that is mince soon enough, but otherwise he'll be happy with what he's got and surely nowt wrong with that?

Nick

I started out on a Hi Ten Steel scaffold tube 'Diamond Back' from Halfords that cost me £120, I guess me and Nim's mate are just odd or something.

Most people do it. Try and steer him away from a full suss though, they really are nasty, the rigid hardtails are fine for mooching about though.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Help! My mate is threatening to buy an Appoll full-suss…’ is closed to new replies.