Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Help! My Ghetto tubeless setup has caused no problems whatsoever
  • Deveron53
    Free Member

I used the split-tube method on my Ringle rims. I mounted 29er Ardents. After putting 3 scoops of fluid in each, the tyres went up first time with a track pump and remained at 60psi for 48 hours. I have now cut off the excess tube and deflated to working pressure.
    What have I done right?

zippykona

Kiss of death.

deadkenny
    Free Member

60! What’s working pressure? 😉

Drop it to 25 and ride. See how long they stay up then, especially climbing over rocks (I find climbing is where they can leak oddly) 😉

Awesome feel at that pressure though with no tubes in them. Not had them come off the rim with my UST AM wheels and not-technically-tubeless Minions/HR tyres, and not gone flat with a decent amount of sealant. The key I think is good rim profile especially if you have chunky tyres, and way more sealant than you expect. 3 or 4 scoops does the job I find.

shedbrewed
    Free Member

As someone who has XTR tubeless wheels with not-so-good-in-the-wet Hutchison Pythons fitted and wants to change to not-tubeless-but-lovely Minions, would you recommend cafelatex or stans to go in?

chiefgrooveguru

Caffelatex is good for getting them to go up but not so good at repairing larger holes on the trail. Just in the process of switching over to Stans (plus a bead of washing up liquid and water to get the second bead to seat), rear tyre successfully done earlier, remarkably painlessly…

stoddys
    Free Member

+1for stans.
    I tried using something else, I think it was called green slime, for 3 mornings in a row I would reinflate only the next day to be flat again.
    2.5 cups of stans and all is hunky dorey.
    Btw 2.5 because I’m in cyprus and its 38degres so I thought a little extra in case it drys out quickly.

deadkenny
    Free Member

Stans works great for me and had been recommended by everyone I know running tubeless.

Deveron53
    Free Member

60 psi is my ‘curing’ pressure. I’m still playing around with working pressures. I’ve started with 25-ish front and rear. I was getting a bit of rear tyre splatting on waterbars today so had to up it a bit in the rear. I need an accurate gauge tho.
    The Ardents are awesome though. Much faster rolling than the HDs I had on previously. I didn’t really detect any less traction.

EDIT: Stan’s fluid.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Help! My Ghetto tubeless setup has caused no problems whatsoever’ is closed to new replies.