Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Help… my car thinks its an electric eel
  • steveoath
    Free Member

Any way to stop my car zapping me or the wife when we close the doors. I remember the 80s/90s anti static strips attached to the chassis undwrneath. Do these work?

CountZero

Generally, no, unless it’s braided copper. Most of those ‘static strips’ were just plastic, and whatever it is has to actually touch the ground to discharge, so would wear away. You could just get some lengths of TV coax, pull the braided screen off and screw it to the bodywork somewhere, leaving it long enough to touch the ground; it should be flexible enough to blow away from the road under way, but should allow static to discharge when you stop. Easy enough to replace when it wears too short to touch the ground.
    My Puma, for some reason, used to give me shocks all the time, so I just got into the habit of tapping the car with my fingernails first, which seemed to do the trick, my Octavia doesn’t seem to suffer. No idea why.

steveoath
    Free Member

Maybe its a Ford thing. As its a focus that’s causing me grief.

oneoneoneone
    Free Member

use a old brake or gear cable?

paulosoxo
    Free Member

Open door, keep hold of metal of door as you get out, shut door. Sorted.

leffeboy

Open door, keep hold of metal of door as you get out, shut door. Sorted

As above. I find the shoes I am wearing makes the biggest difference

molgrips
    Free Member

It’s YOU discharging through the car not the other way round. You build up a charge with your clothes, open the door with a plastic interior handle, put your rubber soled shoes on the floor, you still have a charge. The car is earthed through its tyres which whilst rubber have enough carbon to conduct electricity. I also get shocked when getting into parked cars sometimes.

When we go to the US it’s drier so I do as above and tap the car with a fingertip first. The shock numbs the nerves for a split second which is enough to not feel the discharge.

Cougar

Let your partner open the door first. (-:

I’ve worked in ESD-sensitive areas where they had conductive strips to fit in shoes. Get some of those.

matt_outandabout

Are you both wearing nylon?

plop_pants
    Free Member

Push on the door window. It’s the only way I can close the door on my Mazda without getting zapped.

TroutWrestler
    Free Member

I’ve experienced a resurgence of zapping this very week. Weird.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Help… my car thinks its an electric eel’ is closed to new replies.