Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Help – my bike keeps going 'click'
  • wwaswas

if I put my weight on the pedal with the leading cranks arm at 2 o'clock.

it clicks once when you load it and once when you unload. doesn't seem to matter which chainring it's in – it's a certain amount of torque through the crank arms that causes it.

it's a Giant NRS. I've tried it with the shock 'deflated' and it does the same with the suspension bottomed out.

so far I have;

tried a different rear wheel
    checked the ring bolts
    checked the chain
    taken the cranks out and checked the BB/reassembled
    let all the air out of the shock and checked the suspension isn't noisy/creaky.
    checked the suspension bolts are torqued up

I'm running out of ideas but the bike's unrideable (for me) – it's just so annoying that you get this click everytime you stand up on a hill or put some torque through it on the big ring.

CaptainMainwaring
    Free Member

Back wheel off. Bit of grease around the dropouts and the axle. Wheel back in. Done.

Has happened to me on a couple of bikes. The QR moves slightly under load

bigyinn
    Free Member

Take the front mech off (sorry) clean clamp and frame thoroughly, ressemble. Cross fingers.

bassspine
    Free Member

check your pedals? double checked all the suspension bushings and bearings?

davidmoyesismydad
    Free Member

Pivots possibly.I had & did the same as you only cured it Friday. For some reason I had play in the pivot even though I'd put new bearings in.I added a1 mm washer job done.

wwaswas

bigyinn – not sure how the front mech coudl be to blame – there's nothing touching it when I pedal?

I guess I could dismantle all the suspension and reassemble/retourque.

will try and grease around the drop outs and put some different pedals on.

the 'click' really resonates through the frame.

cynic-al
    Free Member

My money is on regreasing pedal threads.

wwaswas

right, just changed the pedals (newly greased threads) and took the back wheel out and greased around the axle/dropout.

still got a click 🙁

might try another BB with a bit of ptfe on the threads before I start taking the frame apart.

woody2000

It's cracked I reckon 🙁

wwaswas

I did have a look at the welds a minute ago as I suddenly thought 'I wonder?'. Couldn't see anything obvious but it's not the best lit garage in the world so I may have a closer look with a torch later.

bigyinn
    Free Member

Bright daylight is quite useful for seeing things clearly!

wwaswas

no cracks found.

BB then suspension I think…

BFITH
    Free Member

I had a very similar noise coming from my Bb/chainset area recently…tried everything to no avail. Eventually decided to live with it…then came down Helvellyn a couple of weeks ago and Hey Presto! no noise any more….So theres your answer…Fly down a big hill with lots of rocks…!! 😉

wwaswas

If it carries on clicking it's likely to get chucked down a big hill with lots of rocks!

wwaswas

replaced bottom bracket and silence reigns.

old one was quite 'dry' on the threads but bearings seemed fine so not sure whther it was the BB itself or BB/frame interface.

Still, I can ride without sounding like I have a castenet in each knee now 🙂

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Help – my bike keeps going 'click'’ is closed to new replies.