Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Help, my 2×10 set-up is working perfectly…..
  • core

I feel I’m missing out on all the faff of 1x systems, 1×11 in particular, I need something to take over my life and cause me constant concern while I’m riding, at the same time as solving a problem that doesn’t exist for me.

Blatant troll, I know, but wtf, there’s barely ever a 1x/1×11 thread off the front page! Clearly not the perfect solution to all of our problems* that it’s touted as…..

*that don’t exist for most people.

dirtydog
    Free Member

If don’t have the skills to set up a front mech correctly then chances are your not going to be able to set up a 1X either.

Just don’t blame the front mech! 😀

mboy
    Free Member

I prescribe some more mud to remedy your problem… That should sort it!

cruzcampo
    Free Member

Triple 10 speeds where its at lol

mikewsmith
    Free Member

My 1×11 wasn’t shifting crisply but a tweak of the barrel adjuster fixed it. It’s also stw, the threads are my normally just by those who would struggle to set anything up but declare bike shops to the evil money grabbing bustard so won’t go there to get anything fixed. 😉

cookeaa

Clearly not the perfect solution to all of our problems* that it’s touted as….

“Perfect” is of course relative, every bike has an intended use, they’re not all the same.

Of the three bikes I own with Geared drivetrains, two are “1x” it suits their intended application…

The third has a front mech, again in keeping with its use.

TBH there do seem to be almost as many threads bemoaning the removal of front mechs as those evangelising about 1x drives.

It does seem like a good chunk of people still like to denigrate some quite simple mechanical concepts they don’t quite get, just because they are not familiar.
    Fair enough I suppose, some of us are getting on well with our silly dinner plate sprockets, feel free to complain if you must, I doubt I’ll re-fit those front mechs based on your input…

core

I’m intrigued, don’t get me wrong, I can see the theoretical benefits, there just seems to be an awful lot of threads at the moment where people are having issues with 1×11 systems in particular.

Perhaps just dut to the sheer number of people going 1×11, who also don’t know how to set gears up………. We’re not all mechanically minded I suppose!

MoseyMTB
    Free Member

I’ve set up my own mechs many a time and never had a problem thank you. Not sure why the 1×11 is playing up but I’ll crack it.

I thought this forum was a place to share knowledge and ask questions? No?

If you don’t try and make mistakes you don’t learn. We all want to keep learning right?

mikewsmith
    Free Member

I’m intrigued, don’t get me wrong, I can see the theoretical benefits, there just seems to be an awful lot of threads at the moment where people are having issues with 1×11 systems in particular.

A few are down to things like “My Chain Line isn’t perfect” but it’s how it’s meant to be, people getting a little over concerned about things.
    I reckon there are/were as many threads on “How the hell do I set-up 2x” it seemed to be a mystery to a lot of people.

From reading a lot of threads on here it appears to me that a lot of people don’t have a bunch of riding mates who are trying these things either, with most changes to stuff over the years I’ve sat down with a mate over a beer/tea and figured stuff out. Like the what width bars questions, if somebody got wider bars etc. other people would ask to have a quick go, see how it felt, if someone was looking to see what they could do I’ve got a set of 745’s and 760’s in a spares box that people could just try out for a few rides.
    The avoidance of the bike shop also seems to increase some of these things. I’ve had great LBS’s who would talk you through things, give you the benefit of their experience fitting a load of this kit and setting up a varied number of systems on different bikes etc.

rOcKeTdOg

I’ve had 1×9/10 for about 3 years on various bikes, it’s easy to set up & fit and forget. I can’t see what the drama is

dknwhy

I have the bike mechanic skills of a fish and even I managed to set up my old school 1 x 10 gears properly. When used for good instead of evil (cat videos), You Tube is a great resource (waddles off to watch cat videos).

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Help, my 2×10 set-up is working perfectly…..’ is closed to new replies.