Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Help me with these new Bottom Bracket "standards"!
  • barrykellett
    Free Member

Just got a Canyon 7.9 AL Grand Canyon.
    The 22/36 SRAM chainset isn’t going to cut it for XC racing so I want to replace it with a Shimano XT Double (28/40)

I assume I just buy a regular run of the mill hollowtech II XT Crankset but have to buy a specific Pressfit BB? Which one?

My first foray into non screwey in bottom brackets :-/

toppers3933
    Free Member

whatever press fit type it is you will need to get a shimano converter to run a shimano crank. it says it comes with a sram bb which will probably be the wrong size bearings. is it bb30?

stimpy
    Free Member

I think the Grand Canyons come with Shimano Press Fit BB, don’t they? So don’t you just need to swap cranks (and leave the current BB alone – I think the spindle for normal HT2 cranks fits the Shimano Press Fit)?

This article seems to suggest standard external-bearing cranks will fit.

Now for the shameless thread hijack 😀 I’m looking at the 7.9 Grand Canyon (when funds are in) – how does it ride? What size did you go for and how does it fit? I’m 5’10” (178cm) and reckon on a medium.

edhornby

there is an article on bikeradar that explains them all, really useful compared to a lot of the stuff on there…

http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/article/complete-guide-to-bottom-brackets-36660/

toppers3933
    Free Member

it says it is a sram bb which will have different size bearings and as such will need replacing to fit a shimano crank. you just need to know what fitting the frame is. bb30/bb386/bb92 etc

barrykellett
    Free Member

Stimpy – i am 5’9″ – Medium was the suggested size from their online fitter.
    I haven’t even managed to put pedals on it yet. But Had a quick sit on it after putting it together and it seems dead on though the first ride will tell of course

stimpy
    Free Member

Toppers – I know the cranks the OP has are SRAM cranks, but the BB is a Shimano Press Fit – says so on the blurb here.

So if it’s a Shimano Press Fit then HT2 cranks should fit.

OP – failing that, bob it along to your LBS and get them to switch the cranks.

Option 2 (which was going to be my plan) why not keep the cranks and just change the chainrings? Cheaper than new crankset/crankset+BB. I don’t know why they put 22/36 chainrings on it; 24/38 or 28/40 seems eminently more sensible.

Looking forward to photos and ride reports btw 😆

PS what colours did you go for?

reggiegasket
    Free Member

Sram cranks are called ‘GXP’ and diferent from Shimano HT2. Both use a 24mm axle but the NDS has a step down to 22mm, so the bearing on that side has a smaller internal diameter. The DS bearing is the same.

So yes, you need a new BB and if it’s a press-fit then you need a GXP pressfit.

orangeboy
    Free Member

That link that says its a shimano press fit shows a bike with xt chainset on already
    If your bike has a SRAM chainset you will need to change either the bb or maybe get some converter shims

Just need to know what shell the frame has

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Help me with these new Bottom Bracket "standards"!’ is closed to new replies.