Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Help me with ideas for an Ebay bike.
  • jimjam
    Free Member

Every winter I do the same thing. My riding falls from 3-5 times a week to once or twice if I’m lucky, and of course I pack on the beef and moan about incessantly. Or so my wife tells me. And this year it’s been compounded by my separated shoulder meaning I couldn’t do much of anything from October to January.

I’m currently getting my fitness back but I don’t have a huge amount of enthusiasm for lugging my 160mm bike around bland xc rides. Whether it’ll actually make a difference or not I cannot say, but I’m currently hankering after a short travel trail/xc bike to just get out and do some miles around my local mountainous forested area. The plan is to take my time and build something up cheaply from ebay or similar. A hardtail springs to mind, cheap, and less maintenance but I prefer full sussers.

Something with a long tt, (current bike is 595mm) prefer shorter chain stays. About 68 degree ha with a 120mm fork. Drawn towards spesh cambers. What else should I be looking at?

The other option is just to build up a lighter wheel set for my big bike?

rickon
    Free Member

Cotic Soul meets your requirements.

Where’s mountainous foresty?

jimjam
    Free Member

rickon – Member

Cotic Soul meets your requirements.

Where’s mountainous foresty?

Mostly Cavehill, Belfast. Steep climbs, steeper trails. If not there it’ll be longer flatter xc rides – before my injury I was “enjoying” 40 miles night rides mid week. No lack of enthusiasm or fitness but now I’m just a bit meh.

jimjam
    Free Member

Looking at the soul I do think the geometry looks good. Has it been like that for several years or constantly evolving? How do they climb?

fangin
    Free Member

Building an ebay bike – or from the classifieds here – is lots of fun. Not necessarily most economical, but definitely fun. Especially if you go the second-hand route. Winter bikes don’t last long IME.

adamyounghus97
    Free Member

I have a pinnacle ramin 1 medium for £300 that could take a 100mm fork, it would be a decent winter bike?

JoeG
    Free Member

Get a fatbike! 🙂

They’re a lot of fun to ride, so you’ll get out more. They’re great in crap weather, too. And it’ll help you build fitness even faster. Win. Win. Win.

epicyclo

jimjam – Member
    Every winter I do the same thing. My riding falls from 3-5 times a week to once or twice if I’m lucky, and of course I pack on the beef and moan about incessantly…

You need a tough wiry dog that likes to run and shit a lot. Then you’ll be out in all weather and keeping fit without any choice in it.

eltonerino
    Free Member

I’m selling my old saracen Mantra. I’m down in Newcastle and looking for £150. The fork is a bit poo, but fine for forresty stuff.
    Let me know if you want any more details, or to come have a look.

nickjb
    Free Member

Buying bits can be expensive and slow. I’d just find a 2nd hand bike. That way you can get out riding sooner and just change bits as you go.

doncorleoni
    Free Member

Buying bits it’s the most fun but can take a while. I got all these bits off the classifieds on here for around 180 all in. Despite having a decent bouncer and 29er this frankenbike is what I find myself grabbing for xc blasts.

duckers
    Free Member

Buy my scale ht. I want a road bike 🙂

jimjam
    Free Member

Certainly won’t be buying a fatbike. I’ve built several bikes from scratch in the past so I know it’s not the cheapest way of doing things but it’ll help me spread the cost out over a fairly long period so the wife won’t notice, plus I’ve got some bits anyway, hubs forks, cassettes, rotors etc etc.

Just kind of wondering about what bikes to investigate. As I’ve said, the camber looks good, and I have a fork that would suit (the 26″ version). I’ve never really looked at a Cotic Soul before but it’s kind of on the money too, although they do seem to hold their value.

I’m just musing as to what else is out there that I’m not aware of.

monkeysfeet
    Free Member

Kinesis Virsa Decade? Can be run SS/hub geared so could be the perfect winter bike. Will take a 130mm fork to.
    Cove Stiffee/Handjob. Plenty out there s/hand. Santa Cruz Chameleon.

pleaderwilliams
    Free Member

I have one of these sitting around doing nothing if you’re interested:

http://www.giant-bicycles.com/en-gb/bikes/model/trance.x.frameset/4868/41824/

Size L. Would have to post.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Help me with ideas for an Ebay bike.’ is closed to new replies.