Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Help me with a route from Sa Calobra to Port De Soller by Bike
  • andysredmini
    Free Member

Im off to Mallorca in the near future and would like to hire a bike and ride up Sa Calobra. I have no idea what the roads are like but quite fancy starting at Sa Calobra then riding up to port de Soller and back. It appears so from a quick google.

Probably like this but backwards http://www.tramuntanatours.com/cycle_sacalobra.html
    Or would I be better going from port de Soller to sa Calobra and back?

Thanks

Andy

hammerite
    Free Member

Sa Calobra road is a dead end. You end up at the sea. If you wanted to ride from there and back you’d need to get a boat round and then set off. You’d then also be starting off right up the climb – no warm up. A ride from Soller, descend Sa Calobra and back would be best.

As far as I’m aware there is pretty much just one road between the two. Not sure there is an off road route as Puig Major is in the way and the mountain is closed for military use.

Watch out for all the coaches carrying tourists going between the two.

andysredmini
    Free Member

Thanks. That’s pretty much exactly the route I had planned on garmin connect. I was just unsure as it keeps trying to divert me around the tunnel mirador on the ma-10. I know sa calobra is a dead end and I’ll be starting straight up a hill but every route I look at seems to start with miles and miles of uphill. So I came to the conclusion I might as well try and enjoy the first and main one I want to climb.

taxi25
    Free Member

If you want to start at Sa Colobra catch the ferry
    http://barcoscalobra.com/sitio/inicio/?lang=en
    Then follow the above route.

oldnpastit

As above, Sa Colabra is a dead end.

I stayed in Selva earlier this year, which is on the other side of the big hill from Sa Colabra. You can hire bikes there, or have them delivered (I used Bike Experience who are quite close by). Then cycle up the hill out of Selva, down into Sa Colabra, then back up, stop for a quick coffee at the cafe, and then head over to Soller.

From Soller, you can ride out the southern end, turn left just before the big tunnel, stop at the cafe at the top, and then cycle back to Selva. You can either go the flat route which is fast, or over the hills which is hilly but much more fun.

I managed it, and I’m old and useless, so you should be able to as well.

Haze

Selva – Sa Colobra – over Soller then left into Bunyola, left again over the Orient and follow back to Selva via Lloseta

martinhutch

Drove it today. If you like climbing, you’ll love it. My only advice would be to try to hit the sweet spot between the dozens of tourit coaches arriving and leaving for your climb, I’m guessing between about 12 and 2pm.

whitestone
    Free Member

Have done Puerto de Soller to Sa Calobra and back, basically it’s four climbs, two big ones and two little ones with sod all flat. Up Puig Major down to the shack, little climb up to the col at the top of Sa Calobra climb, down to Sa Calobra then reverse. Taking it steady, Puig Major takes about an hour and Sa Calobra about 45mins. Have done SC faster but the above time was just chatting with a mate, both of us aren’t exactly youths!

Best to have food/drink at the shack (obvious when you see it) rather than in Sa Calobra and face the climb with a full stomach.

As stated, watch out for the coaches and kids skateboarding down Sa Calobra – I kid you not!

julians
    Free Member

Off topic, but There’s an off road route out of soller and up puig major as well, it’s fairly brutal.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Help me with a route from Sa Calobra to Port De Soller by Bike’ is closed to new replies.