Viewing 15 posts - 81 through 95 (of 95 total)
  • Help Me: What TYPE of road bike should I buy: CX? Tourer? Or carbon road god?
  • aP
    Free Member

I’m surprised about all this talk of cross bikes being heavy. Mine weighs 17.2lbs and is perfectly capable of riding 3 Peaks, racing cross, commuting, club runs, training camp, reliability rides, chain gang etc etc.
    Don’t get hung up by marketing pigeonholing and just go and try a few different bikes out and see which one you like.

ampthill

Where does the rack go on that Carbon Ribble?

GrahamS

I’m surprised about all this talk of cross bikes being heavy. Mine weighs 17.2lbs

What one is that? 22lbs seems to be “light” on the ones I’ve been looking at (though they are all disc versions I guess)

davidtaylforth
    Free Member
    jameso

Mragreeable – that book looks interesting, got a copy s/h on amazon for under £3 posted. The guy looks like a proper legend )

GrahamS

davidtaylforth – Member
    Probably cant go far wrong with one of these

Looks interesting but I can’t find any info about it. Weight? Anywhere in the UK to test ride one?
    Much as Biketown in Bocholt looks like an excellent place to visit, it’s a long way to go for a bike. 🙂

Anyway I went to Edinburgh Bikes in Newcastle today. Described what I want and he said “Are you the bloke from Singletrack then?” 😆

Tried the Specialized TriCross, Cannondale CAADX and the Whyte Charing Cross (apparently the Saxon Cross doesn’t have guard/rack eyelets but the Charing does).

Worryingly I took to road riding more easily than I thought I would (having never ridden a road bike before).

The Whyte seemed the most interesting to ride. Slack head angle makes the steering a bit boat-like but it felt stable and nice to ride. Top tube felt quite long and a bit more “reachy” than the others, but that may just be because I’m not used to roadie position.

Massive thanks to Kieran (hope that’s right) at Edi Bikes for all his help. Trying a Boardman CX tomorrow (if I can find one at a Halfords willing to let me test ride).

ampthill

best of luck finding a Halfords that does rest rides

GrahamS

Yeah I’ve heard that can be an issue. Bit mad expecting folk to drop a grand on a bike without getting a leg over first!

ashfanman
    Free Member

davidtaylforth
    Oh yeh, dunno whether these are any good but saw one the other day and they look nice!

They do completes. £1350 with Veloce.

At Tokyo Fixed.

patriotfr
    Free Member
    GrahamS

Tifosi look nice too – but I’m pretty sure I want discs. Trails round here can get fairly muddy.

paulatmtbleasing
    Free Member

Forme are offering some awesome bikes.

How about this: http://www.bikeleasingcompany.com/cyclocross/calver-cx-sport-disc.html

Does it tick the boxes?

bajsyckel

Any suggestions on bike shops round here with a suitable range of bikes to try? So far only Edi Bikes seems to have a reasonable range of CX bikes. Evans only had 3 when I went in.

Hmmm… I know that the chaps in hexhm bike shop have built up a couple of kinesis pro6 frames but I don’t really know. I don’t tend to buy bikes new so don’t know who stocks what I’m afraid. I’m in the market for a disc cross bike/frameset myself but it looks like I might end up buying new for the first time in over a decade as the value of full builds looks better than DIY, even with all the bits I have…

merida, rose, focus, felt or corratec all worth considering from my own search too (not sure if all mentioned above).

MrAgreeable

jameso – Member

Mragreeable – that book looks interesting, got a copy s/h on amazon for under £3 posted. The guy looks like a proper legend )

It’s a ripping yarn for sure. He’s also one for the “where are they now?” files.

http://www.cycling-books.com/Travels%20With%20Rosinante%20Bernard%20Magnouloux.htm

GrahamS

+———————————————————————————————–+
    UPDATE: went on to look more carefully at the Rose bikes options, and after this thread, I pushed the button on the Rose Pro DX Cross 4400.
    +————————————————————————————————–+

Many thanks to everyone who offered advice.
    It was all listened to and very useful. This forum at its best.

Viewing 15 posts - 81 through 95 (of 95 total)

The topic ‘Help Me: What TYPE of road bike should I buy: CX? Tourer? Or carbon road god?’ is closed to new replies.