Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Help me to start running.
  • fervouredimage
    Free Member

I haven’t been able to run on pavement for years as it just hurts my dodgy knees so I’ve never really bothered with running despite it being something I’ve wanted to do for a long time. I friend suggested I try running off road as it would be much easier on my knees. So taking the dog for a walk yesterday I thought I’d try a light off road jog to see how my knees held up. Surprisingly I had no issue at all so my interest in giving it a go has been reinvigorated.

My problem now is that I have a base level of fitness that is woefully poor and my body just isn’t used to running at all. So can anyone offer some advice on where to start to steadily build a base? What should I be initally aiming for?

Lifer
    Free Member
    takisawa2

Slow. As in little more than walking pace. About a 12min mile. And walk now & then. The NHS Couch to 5k is supposed to be good. And concentrate on a smooth run, as in not heavy on the heels.
    And well done.
    I did 2.4 miles this morning. I quite like running, especially when the weather is crap.

epicsteve
    Free Member

I did couch to 5K (C25K) last year and it worked well for me. In 3 months I went from being barely able to run for a minute at a time to doing my first (if slow!) non-stop 10K.

12 minute miles is a pretty good pace to start at when you get to some of the longer running stints in that programme. It feels stupidly slow at first but it’s far more important that you can run for the duration requirement than it is what speed you do it at.

robgclarkson
    Free Member

“release the hounds”

edward2000
    Free Member

Running sets you free. I run a bit. I hated it at first because I wasn’t a good runner and therefore it was an effort. However I persevered with it because it’s very convenient and good for you. I would say after the first couple of runs it gets easier and more enjoyable as you become fitter. The biggest challenge though is in your head. You have to want to run. It’s important to stretch too, especially glutes, hip flexors, hamstrings and calves. I also find pilates is very beneficial.

badnewz
    Free Member

I only run off-road too. But I’d be careful if you do have dodgy knees, it is pretty bad for them regardless what you run on.

I’d focus on improving your fitness with non-impact activities like more miles on the bike and swimming (non breast stroke)

mogrim

I’d follow a couch-to-5k plan, and try and fit in a bit of gym too – strengthen quads etc. That will help to protect your knees. But most of all: take it slowly.

rumple
    Free Member

step 1 – get changed into riding gear.

step 2- RUN to garage

step 3- ride bike.

onandon
    Free Member

Bookmarked for reading later.

GrahamS

Help me to start running.

*posts crude drawing of the prophet on OP’s facebook page*

Okay – start running!

jekkyl

*starts pushing fervouredimage*

why run when you can cycle? weirdo.

tomd
    Free Member

A decent program of gym work for your legs will make getting into running easier and less injury prone IMO, especially if you have joint problems. Also, when you start <20mins is a good run. It can be easy from a cycling background to think you need to be doing 1hr + for it to be worthwhile.

VanHalen

if you ride regularly then your issue will not be fitness but the wrong muscles are strong for running.

I’ve never run but just started as i’ve signed up to a triathlon (a short one – i`m not totally mad!). distance wise i dont go far but i’m definatly able to go further. muscle wise its agony for a couple of days after the first run but the second run onward is fine after.

I`m going a little bit further each time i run and not running until i’m ruined so i dont break myself. A friend that coaches says that not stopping is key. run shorter distances but continuous.

it is really bloody dull though but needs must.

edward2000
    Free Member

Have you also considered the advice of an expert as to why your knees hurt? I used to go to an osteopath and I couldn’t recommend them more. This is what got me into pilates and I no longer have any issues, albeit mine was with my back not my knee. It might cost a bit of money but consider it an investment in your health.

MoreCashThanDash

I’ll have a look at that couch to 5k later. Fitting in riding is going to be tough this year, think I’ll have to look at running as an alternative.

hughjayteens
    Free Member

Interesting post as I did my first ever run on saturday (well, since cross country and school 21 years ago). I used to ride my bike twice a week, 12-15 miles off road on an evening ride and 15-25 on a Sunday morning, but since I started commuting back into London at the beginning of the year, I am never home in time for the midweek ride so it is back to just Sunday at present. I go boxing twice a week which has helped keep my bike fitness at an OK level, but I just couldn’t seem to improve it, almost regardless of how hard I rode.

I was chatting to a mate of mine who has raced national DH and more recently the EWS and he told me that running has made a big difference to his bike fitness and is something he can do within the limited time that your own business and a young family allows. He runs 4 mornings a week for about 30-35 minutes at a decent pace on top of his 2 rides a week, so my plan is to ride Sunday, have Monday and Saturday as my rest days, go boxing Tuesday and Thursday and then do a 30 minute run on Wednesday and Friday.

I only did 3k on my first run at about 5m20s/km which felt easy enough at the time and hasn’t damaged me too badly yet!

Should I stick with this for a few weeks until my legs get used to it and then build up the distance, or should I try and get faster over this distance first and then build up the distance later? Just after general fitness improvements and have no desire to be the next Mo Farah, although am pondering the Trans Savoie for 2016.

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

billyboulders
    Free Member

Another vote for the NHS couch to 5k podcasts here, did the course a couple of years ago when family commitments meant I just couldn’t get the time on the bike I used to. At first it was hard because as has been mentioned above cycling legs aren’t the same as running legs, it takes some time to build the appropriate muscles, but by the end of the course I was breezing through the 5k runs and above all really enjoying it. I now regularly run (about 40 miles in total a week) and love it, sometimes it’s just so much easier to pull on a pair of shorts and trainers and set off for an hours run than it is to dig the bike out, find all the various kit, ride to the muddy trails, ride home, clean and lube the bike etc. etc.
    If you’re going to be running off road some shoes with decent grip are going to be essential, especially at this time of year. Don’t worry too much about which shoes for your gait, pronation etc. as off road your feet will be landing according to the terrain and a reasonably cheap pair of neutral off road trainers will be fine (I started out trail running with a pair of adidas kanadia, a quick google says £30 will get you a pair) if/when you get the bug you can always upgrade.
    Main benefit is as hughjayteens says regular running massively improves your bike fitness, recovery rate etc.
    Enjoy – and make sure you warm down and stretch out after your runs, I found this is much more necessary after a run than after a ride. There’s links to stretches to do on the NHS c25k pages.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Help me to start running.’ is closed to new replies.