Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Help me spend money on forks
  • stilltortoise
    Free Member

Ragley mmmBop needing some forks. I can't decide what to buy. Help please (would rather keep it around the £300 mark or less).

stilltortoise
    Free Member

no one?

lesinge
    Free Member

How about some of these bad boys http://www.fudgescyclestore.com/index.php?p=125697

docrobster
    Free Member

I was going to link you to the sub £300 2010 RS rev race 140mm QRs I bought off merlin a few weeks ago but they've none left!
    Cheapest Revs are £340 now…

woody2000
    docrobster
    Free Member

good find woody2000, tapered steerer and all
    "low stock" = get on the phone!

Northwind

Try and find some used Team Rev u-turns? That's what's going in mine, assuming my lyriks ever get fixed.

ahwiles
    Free Member

Rockshox sektors would be top of my list if i was looking for new forks for my pig.

i've got a rare set of 2010 maxle solo air Recons, and they're ace.

(and cheap, and light)

(assuming those that woody found will have sold out)

nicko74

Woody's Revs are apparently tapered steerer, if that's a problem.

Secondhand Revs would be good, if you can find good ones. They seem to have dried up in the last year or so though…

coolhandluke
    Free Member

second hand (or new) 454 coil Pikes.

I tried air forks years ago and they were pants compared to coils.

Recently went back to air forks (thor's). What a mistake. Now back on Pike 454 coils on my 456ti. The whole bike has turned more hooligan, like my old Summer Season only better.

messiah
    Free Member

Fox 36 Floats = lighter than Pikes

coolhandluke
    Free Member

Fox 36 Floats = lighter than Pikes

Maybe if you compare Fox 36's to coil 409 Pikes, but not compared to coil Pike 454's IME.

Loving my 454 coil Pikes.

Northwind

Fox are claiming 4.49lbs for the latest 36 Floats, which is pretty impressive but not less than a Pike. And also, 3 times the OP's budget. Oh and even more ridiculous servicing requirements, since the old 100 hour service dropped to 30 hours despite "improved durability"- that's full service and oil change.

But apart from that, they're perfect 😉

stilltortoise
    Free Member

I’d rather not have tapered if I can help it, since I have already bought a reducer headset! 😕

chakaping
    Free Member

Get the £400 Fox 36 Talas on CRC with a 1.5in steerer!

molgrips
    Free Member

I’ve got some 130mm Paces for sale if you want to go light…

stilltortoise
    Free Member

I’ve got some 130mm Paces for sale if you want to go light…

mmm, tell me more.

I don’t want a 1.5″ steerer either. It limits me to what else I can fit them too…

…I think 😆

molgrips
    Free Member

The Paces have had a relatively recent Fork English service – well, maybe 9 months ago but they were only ridden for like 3-4 months after that service. I changed them because they had *slightly* more stiction than I wanted. They were on an Orange 5 and the rear was slightly more plush than the front, which annoyed me. If they’d been on a hardtail I’d probably have kept them – and I am a really fussy bugger.

Paint is scuffed on the steerer and dropouts, but the carbon and stanchions are fine.

£110 posted.

Oh and they are QR too not 20mm.

stilltortoise
    Free Member

What length steerer and any pics?

I’m used to riding either rigid carbon forks or 6″ DUC 32s, so no travel through to buttery smooth is my scale of reference. Somewhere in between might not be a bad thing. I think I’d prefer 140mm but let’s see some pics and I could be persuaded just so I can get the thing built

I_Ache
    Free Member

Get some SH 2006 Marzocchi 66s they are so smooth but a little heavy and at that age they are bomb proof.

molgrips
    Free Member

Ok, will take some pics although it’ll have to wait til the weekend – I’m away all week.

They are a smidge longer than some other 130mm forks, and actually will give you 135mm of travel which is actually more than my 140mm Revs.

They are buttery smooth when you hit rough stuff, it’s when you are riding something flat and smooth like tarmac, they sort of stick ever so slightly until you hit the next bump. Doesn’t really affect your riding in any way, it’s just be being anal.

stilltortoise
    Free Member

My full susser has 6″ front and back and weighs 29lbs give or take. I want to keep the forks on the mmmBop a sensible weight. I see no point building up a hardtail that weighs nearly as much as my full susser. I’m one of those riders who thinks weight matters 😀

stilltortoise
    Free Member

it’s when you are riding something flat and smooth like tarmac, they sort of stick ever so slightly until you hit the next bump.

to be honest molgrips I might quite like that. What model are they?

molgrips
    Free Member

RC 41s from 2007. They are a good pair, never had any trouble with water ingress at all. As far as I know the stanchions are flawless but I’ll go over them again when I get home.

Plus they really do weigh their claimed weight, so just over 3 lbs.

stilltortoise
    Free Member

any probs with oil leakage?

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘Help me spend money on forks’ is closed to new replies.