Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Help me spec a fat bike frame….
  • vondally
    Free Member

So got a frame for fat wheels arriving….Limited parts so what would you put on there….

Front 150 x 15mm

Rear 177 x 12 thru Axel

44 mm head tube

BB 100mm

I have brakes hope and bars either stooge Moto or spank vibrocore.

Going 1 x 11 but beyond that ?

Hubs and rims light but no carbon.

Tyres in 4 inch size please.

Go on suggest a few things…..

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Why not carbon? Makes the most sense on a fat bike as alloy rims generally struggle to go tubeless and they’re protected by big tyres. And posh alloy fat rims are £££ anyway.

wwaswas

Hope hubs and BB.

Stans Hugo rims.

Surly Nate Tyres if you’re using it as a trail bike.

SRAM X5/X7 cranks have been good for me.

roverpig

Wheels DTswiss BR710 rims on Hope fatsno hubs
    Tyres Jumbo Jim (4.4 if they’ll fit, 4.0 if not)
    Cranks/BB Hope
    Cassette Hope
    Headset Hope

But then I like Hope stuff 🙂

whitestone
    Free Member

I’ve a RaceFace Aeffect direct mount crankset on mine. Lets me fit a 28T or 26T oval chainring (with standard 104BCD cranks 30T oval is as small as you can go and then only with special thin bolts on the shorter axis of the oval).

Tyres: 45nrth Husker Dus for summer, Vanhelgas for winter.

futonrivercrossing
    Free Member

I,d be going with jumbo jims for summer use. Personally – I’d steer clear of Nates, very draggy and surpassed by other options in winter slop.

futonrivercrossing
    Free Member

Double post

rickmeister

SRAM gx 1 X 11
    ICAN wheelset
    Race face cranks
    Not a press fit bb
    Exotic stem and seatpost
    Not a suspension fork
    JJ tyres or maxis FBF FBR

monkeyboyjc

Hope hubs, although halos are fine.

Raceface chain set (model depends on budget)

Rims – depends on personal preference for width…. dtswiss Swiss br710s for 80mm
    or…
    personally (odd ball choice and not for everyone) I’d go with stans Hugo 52’s or fatlab 55s, they are lighter and cheaper than dt Swiss and less wide so you get a rounded profile to the tyre, but with low pressures fat tyres run there’s little difference off road (unless you are thinking of using the bike with 5″ tyres or for snow or sand). Also they are easier to set up tubeless……

If your thinking of using the bike regularly on the beach stay away from alloy nipples as they have a higher likely hood of corrosion and go with brass nipples.

Tyres are a matter of opinion as well and depend on what and where you ride – I love my nates off road in the loamy hills of the cotswolds where I live, found jumbo Jims don’t give any grip in comparison. However, the 120tpi versions of nates I’ve found very draggy on tarmac so if you have to interlink trails with roads then stay away.

Everything else go with whatever your preference is for any other mtb….

vondally
    Free Member

I was thinking of running 32 chainring with 10 42 cassette as the bike will be used for everything from bridleways, moorland, trail centre with road to connect, any thoughts re gearing oh and Northern England based so a few hills.

Any good wheel builders?

wwaswas

Go as low as you can on gearing and make use of all that traction.

cozz
    Free Member

really – ? not much surpasses nates for winter use

unless your frame takes bud/lou

MrTricky
    Free Member

I’ve gone back to Marge Lite from the previous 80mm rims – lost a lot of the playfulness on the wider rims for me and too much self steer. Prefer a rounder tyre profile on the front and get better mud clearance for 11 speed at the back. Also found mud clearance issues on the wider rims using 11 speed even with 4 inch tyres. Running 120 tpi Nate up front and Endomorph out back for summer ‘speed’ on my bimbly rides.

monkeyboyjc

It is pretty steep around me – not massive elevation, but straight up/down valleys steep. I use a 30t with 11-42cassette.
    Tbh, if my cranks were compatable I’d go down to a 28t (not a fan of massive 50t cassettes).
    If I were you I’d get a chainset that has a cinch ring (or similar) and start with what ever your running on your current bike.

As for wheel building – Slam69 would be my recommendation. Graham also is very knowledgeable about spec choice and set up for fatbikes. Only down side is that he’s about down-south for you (I’m sure he posts though).

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Help me spec a fat bike frame….’ is closed to new replies.