Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Help me spec a credit crunch bike build (pompino content)
  • ourmaninthenorth

So, I'm contemplating a pompino build for the winter, to perform commuting and winter road riding duties.

So, help me spec a sensible, but cheap build. Target is less than £300 all in. Let's assume all new stuff now, but obv I'd go where I can.

I have minimal items available from my spares pile (front wheel, stem, tyres, pedals).

So, if the F&F is £160 from On-One and with the above small items, what can you do for no more than £140..!

Tom

finbar
    Free Member

I don't think that can be done – rear wheel and crank will more or less obliterate your budget.

ourmaninthenorth

finabr – you're a spoilsport..!

humanbean
    Free Member

I've just built mine with a similar amount of spares for £350 ribble had some cheapy bits.
    I have also just seen this
    complete pompy for 349@crc

Wozza
    Free Member

Classifieds is your best bet and i never thought i'd say this but i reckon you should go SS to get it under that budget.

You should get this instead… mate uses it exactly as you described.

Spesh Centrum

karnali
    Free Member

if its just a ss commuter you wnt i have atricorss that would fit the bill in the classified and could deliver ot newcastel area next week

ourmaninthenorth

karnali – I'd probably normally ride a 52cm bike (am 5'7"), so 54 may be too large. Also, can you fit guards and a rack, or is it a p'clip situation?

Wozza – it's intended to be fixed, so yes SS is the way forward. I already have a geared winter bike, but tend to ruin drivetrains commuting on it (where I hardly ever use the gears anyway), hence trying to cobble together a cheap pompino.

That Specialized looks evil. The pomp isn't a pretty bike, but by god it's not as ugly as that thing..!

humanbean – £350 is interesting. A mate is offering me his s/h pomp for £325, so perhaps his is the better option, though it doesn't help my current cashflow situaiton..!

Wozza
    Free Member

Sorry mate, my mistake thought a pompino was like an inbred hardtail.

I reckon the centrum looks pretty good, but then i've never liked owt with dropped bars.

ourmaninthenorth

No probs, Wozza. We're going to have to agree to differ on what we think looks good..! 🙂

miketually
    Free Member

thought a pompino was like an inbred hardtail.

An Inbred is an Inbred hardtail 🙂

DaRC_L

Does your work do a Cycle to Work scheme?
    Managed to get my Spesh Allez (2008) version for just over £400 as they were getting the new stock in plus the savings from the C2W scheme meant a cheap commuter (I should really say Etape) road bike.

ourmaninthenorth

It does, though the window was open for a brief period (3 weeks, and only then afetr complaints the previoes less than 2 weeks weren't very long), but I opted not to use it as I was (and still am) trying to extricate myself from my current employment, and didn't want the cost to be set off against any departing payout.

clubber
    Free Member

You'll easily do it for that money but you'll have to keep an eye out for bargains on here/ebay. Ebay should be a good source for a fixed rear wheel that cheap as chips though it won't be remotely posh.

Wheel £30 ebay
    chain £7 (standard 1/8" chain on CRC or similar
    bars – £10 (bargain basement new bars – search around)
    brake lever – you can go all hipster and fit flat bar type brake which may be cheap or get some super cheap road brakes off ebay (eg maybe some stis where the gear doesn't work anymore) say £15
    front brake – cheap cantis £10
    bar tape £6
    chainset may be tricky but again, ebay should throw something up
    sprocket – £10
    seatpost – £10 or less from here. ditto saddle

Well under £140.

That £350 one looks a bargain though.

DaRC_L

Yep our C2W scheme is only open for a very short window too. Mine should be all paid for by the time I'm looking for new employment.

I'm thinking of going S/S on my commuter this winter – last winters salty roads didn't do the drive train any favours at all.

soobalias
    Free Member

the crc pompino is a 19" frame, and its not sure if its got 135 or 120 rear spacing.

that said the old blue looks a lot better than the new white.

personally i will wait for next years colour, or go steamroller instead

ourmaninthenorth

I kinda like the white – white bikes are chavvy in my eyes, and so i wouldn't see it as too nickable. That said, the blue is nicer.

Cheers Clubber – good breakdown. 🙂

Yep, it's a close thing. I think I'll buy my mate's for £325 – incl nice Nitto bars. Wonder if he does cheque spread….

Thanks people – v intersting results..!

Of course, I haven't mentioned the prospect of a new bike to Mrs North yet…. 😯

miketually
    Free Member

If you change you mind and decide to build something up, I have some unused drop bar levers (canti-only) you can have for nowt.

ourmaninthenorth

Ooh, thanks Mike. You might be in danger of being taken up on that (scrounger that I am).

miketually
    Free Member

I just remembered that they're Cane Creek and I preferred them to the DiaCompe V brake ones that I ended up swapping to. They were fitted, but never ridden on.

ourmaninthenorth

Hold that thought! And I'll decide what I'm doing on the building front (this needs to get in under the domestic radar…).

😀

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Help me spec a credit crunch bike build (pompino content)’ is closed to new replies.