Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Help me spec a bike (backwards)
  • igm

I’m looking for a pannier carrying (so I can carry the laptop and a fun change of clothes) all weather commuting bike, capable of knocking off a 2x 23 mile run from York to Castleford and back.

I’ve been using a Planet X Carbon road bike, but no room for mudguards, pannier fitting is not great (which limits me to days when I can leave the laptop at work) and I’d like not to be on 23mm slicks at this time of year.

So I’ve got a set of 29er wheels and an XT groupset lying around innocently not doing anything.

I’ve also got some Juicy 3s, various saddles, stems, seatposts and the like.

And then I find myself looking at a Salsa Fargo, think hmmm I could just about buy the frame & forks and build that from the bits I have already.

Couple of questions. Does the Fargo fit the bill? Could I acquire a Titec Jones H-Bar and use the mtb shifters and brakes (sensibly without compromising the bike) or does it really need to be buy road STIs, road BB7s and some drops (costing about £200 more)?

Any thoughts? Anyone run a Fargo? Anyone run one without drop bars?

cynic-al
    Free Member

Fargo sounds like overkill but would work I guess. I’d def want drops on a ride of that length. A personal choice though.

Remember sti won’t work with your front mech either.

Sorry to be down!

As you’ll prob spend most of your cycling time on this bike I’d get it right!

ac282

Something like a ribble winter bike or kinesis racelight T with mudguards and 25 mm tyres would be my choice for that sort of commuting mileage.

njee20
    Free Member

Agree with AC282’s suggestions, wouldn’t deviate too much from a proper road bike myself.

igm

I sense a consensus.

Not the one I was hoping for, but I suspect you may be right.

wwaswas

a fun change of clothes

this you 😉

I’d agree with the above – some sort of winter/audax type bike.

MrTall
    Free Member

I bought a Fargo recently and love it, great bike to ride (currently running 29×2.35 Bg Apples). My LBS was also building up a Salsa Vaya at the same time which was also lovely but a bit more aimed at the commuter market.

My Fargo shifts fine with 105 STI’s and a Deore touring chainset, although i did have to fit a 9 speed Tiagra front mech (only £17) and move the BB spacers to 2 on the non drive side, one on the driveside to avoid rubbing on the front mech.

Fargo is total overkill for my uses but i love it and wouldn’t change it. My LBS did the frame and forks for £390 but when i asked last week there are only XL’s left in the old frames and i don’t think the new suspension corrected frames are available here yet? I prefer the old green ones to the newer cream ones.

aP
    Free Member

Trek Portland or similar.

rob2
    Free Member

/stw mode/ Orange 5 😉

MrTall
    Free Member

I’m guessing full bikes aren’t an option as he already has most of the build, just frame/forks needed. The Trek looks nice though.

midlifecrashes

doom_mountain

Bought myself a Tifosi CK7 light tourer for my newly acquired cumbrian commute. Not very glamourous but functional and cheap.
    The frame dimensions are better (imo) than the Ribble ( they seem to have tiny headtubes = lots of spacers under stem).
    Four months old now, only had to adjust mudguards and take up cable stretch.

thomthumb
    Free Member

inbred 29er?

br
    Free Member

Keep the bike you have, buy a 2nd laptop?

igm

Thanks for the advice / recommendations guys.

Particularly liked the Five – but already have one (well I’m a STWer) – and the laptop – but I’d only end up worrying about which hard drive to use for mud/snow/ice.

Already got quite a nice 29er mtb (so not an Inbred) and a road bike, so I was thinking something more touring, commuting and off road capable.

In the end I’ve bought an axle mount pannier rack (£30) which will let me put panniers on the road bike until I sort out what I want.

Thanks

igm

Thanks for the advice / recommendations guys.

Particularly liked the Five – but already have one (well I’m a STWer) – and the laptop – but I’d only end up worrying about which hard drive to use for mud/snow/ice.

Already got quite a nice 29er mtb (so not an Inbred) and a road bike, so I was thinking something more touring, commuting and off road capable.

In the end I’ve bought an axle mount pannier rack (£30) which will let me put panniers on the road bike until I sort out what I want.

Thanks

markenduro
    Free Member

Worth a look at the on-one site, they are doing the pompetamines for £199 with a pile of kit, might just fit your needs?
    Or cotic road rat?

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Help me spec a bike (backwards)’ is closed to new replies.