Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • help me silence my Hope Pro 2 please
  • slimjim78
    Free Member

Problem: After trying to put up with it for 200 miles, i’ve decided my Pro2 Road hub is just too noisy

Does anyone have a link to examples/demo’s/pics on how to strip down and where to add grease/anything else in order to quieten the beast?

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

pull the freehub off (it just pulls off, getting the seal back on is harder), add some grease, re-assemble. It won’t be silent, but will be quieter.

messiah
    Free Member

Use oil instead of grease. You’ll know when to add more oil as it well get noisier, but it’s not as often as you would think, plus it makes the hub freewheel better.

tracknicko
    Free Member

louder the better. i love mine! clack clack clacking.

alfabus
    Free Member

post them to me. i will keep them quiet for you.

in the mean time, you will need to buy some different wheels.

granny_ring

Think mine is getting louder too, what oil is the best to use then?

slimjim78
    Free Member

blimey, freehub just pulls off?

last time I serviced a Hope hub was years ago, taking the freehub off resulted in springs jumping for freedom in all directions..

I like the noise of my MTB Pro2, but for some reason the Road Pro2 is even louder, just isn’t right on a road bike.

slimjim78
    Free Member

what oil is the best to use then

extra virgin apprently 🙂

crazyjohnyblows
    Free Member

Send it to me and ill replace it with a shimano deore hub…much quieter

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Just keep pedalling, you won’t hear a thing. 🙂

GrahamS

Surely a lovely clicky-clacky freehub is the one of the best things about Hope?

Saves ringing a bell at dozy pedestrians.

CaptainMainwaring
    Free Member

If you want quiet, don’t use Hope. No way of shutting it up

slimjim78
    Free Member

Just keep pedalling, you won’t hear a thing.

TBH, that’s what I tend to do!

Surely a lovely clicky-clacky freehub is the one of the best things about Hope? Saves ringing a bell at dozy pedestrians.

I can kinda see the attraction, but its too loud, especially on a road bike. My White Industries freewheel sounds amazing, but doenst get on my nerves at all.
    To be fair though, EVERY pedestrian looks to see me coming

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

Pull free hub off and put a grease with a solid lube component, like copper grease, on the ratchet teeth. Light grease or oil will give up too quickly. I hated the noise on mine and its much quieter now, and I put copper grease in months ago.

HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

drown it out with one of these?
    http://www.turbospoke.com/

jameso

I found packing out the space around the pawls and teeth with grease insulated the sound, it gets louder around the point where it needs a re-grease. Still noisier than most, but not as annoyingly clicky as it was when new.

CTMonkey, I’ll try copper grease next time – no issues with pawls slipping / not engaging then?

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

not copper grease – its not what its designed for

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

None. It still clicks but heavily subdued and tolerable. Only need a thin coat, its a thick grease so I guess if you totally packed it out it might gum up the pawls.
    TJ, I’m not using it to lube the bearings, just reduce noise (and possibly wear?) From the pawls on the ratchet. Solid wax not “designed” for bicycle chains but some of us are not hamstrung by convention, eh?

stevomcd
    Free Member

Pull the freehub off, then remove the springs and pawls. Put the freehub back on. Your hub will now be silent.

GrahamS

This might help if you do decide to strip it down and bung in some grease:
    [video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fdgUvv76H28[/video]

itstig

Copper grease is an anti seize product, though it feels smooth the copper is a fine abrasive.Don’t know how long it will take to do damage though

prezet
    Free Member

No hub can be too noisy! I love the sound of Hopes.

slimjim78
    Free Member

cheers GrahamS

messiah
    Free Member

I’ve no idea whats “best”… I use Pedros Synlube as I have a little bottle of it and no longer use it on my chains.

I worked my way down to oil, started with normal grease which makes the hub quieter but can stop the pawls working if you put too much in, and also makes the freehub mechanism a bit sticky and hence less willing to freewheel (especially when in very cold “freezing” temperatures), next up was Manitou M-prep which being a very light grease I thought would work well but it sort of turns to liquid and tended to freeze worse than normal grease (High water/liquid content???). Next up was the Synlube oil which I’ve been very happy with, makes the hub much quieter and freewheels much better… and importantly doesn’t freeze or get sticky when taken out in very cold conditions. After a few months it gets noiser and needs a top up, which is piss easy.

rocketman
    Free Member

Have used basic Lithium grease a number of times to silence clicky hubs

slimjim78
    Free Member

im chuffed at how easy this looks to remedy. I shall be greasing/oiling this weekend!

fourbanger
    Free Member

Pedal more. Coast less. Problem solved.

granny_ring

Cheers messiah, any other oils suitable apart from the extra virgin….. 🙂

rootes1

Try a thicker automotive gear oil like:

EP90 gear oil – easy to get at most car places though the multigrade 75/90 or 80/90 are more common.

should be better than grease as it will not get pushed out of place..

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

The topic ‘help me silence my Hope Pro 2 please’ is closed to new replies.