Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Help me settle an argument please…regional incomes
  • tpbiker
    Free Member

In the pub last night my mate claimed that the average Scottish salary was higher than the average salary for the rest of the UK. This goes against everything I’ve ever heard before, and a quick google of the ONS figures tells me that in fact Scotland’s average is behind the UK combined average.

That said, whilst I’m no statistics expert, I realise that if you were to take the scottish figure out of the Uk average, the UK average would change. But by how much?

Any clever folks amongst you that can work it out?

ta

whatnobeer
    Free Member

The Scottish figures are the 3rd or 4th highest in the UK by the looks of it, but the figures are skewed because of the massive impact the London figures have. As as result the Scottish numbers appear to be pretty much the same as the UK Median. So removing Scotland wouldn’t make a huge difference.

mossimus
    Free Member

Unless I am missing something the data does not show the number of employees so impossible to calculate the impact of removing Scotland.

Data only includes those in full time employment.

GrahamS

It’d be interesting to see those figures adjusted for the cost of living in those regions.

Not much point earning more money if a pint in the local costs you a fiver.

unknown
    Free Member

There’s a massive variation within Scotland on wages and cost of living, Aberdeen vs Edinburgh vs Highlands vs Lanarkshire for example. It’s almost as if Scotland is a country not a region…

andytherocketeer

You can frig anything you like with statistics once you start trying to adjust for cost of living.

endurogangster
    Free Member

It’s adjusted to take into account that Scotland is a 3rd world country!

gobuchul
    Free Member

Scotland averages are skewed by the Central Belt having 90% of the population.

The Central Belt will become Scotlands very own London if they get independance and the resentment from the outlying areas will begin to grow…….

Drac

There’s a massive variation within Scotland on wages and cost of living, Aberdeen vs Edinburgh vs Highlands vs Lanarkshire for example. It’s almost as if Scotland is a country not a region.

So different to the county of England then?

kcal

Already been the case for some time gobuchul; think of transport upgrades, cultural input &c.. would go as far as to say it’s always been thus.

unknown
    Free Member

So different to the county of England then?

Just referencing the thread title/OP – don’t think it’s much use to view a single Scottish average vs. a rest of UK average as there’s too much variation within the “region”. Same would be true of comparing England to UK average. Might be more value in comparing say Strathclyde or Mersyside to the UK average, although means are crap anyway.

Drac

I took it when he said the rest of the UK he meant by each country in the UK.

unknown
    Free Member

Fair enough, I saw “UK combined average” but I guess the original statement might have been about comparing the countries.

Drac

I think he just wants to say “I told you so!” instead forgetting about silly pub arguments.

unknown
    Free Member

Isn’t the whole raison d’etre of STW to say ‘I told you so’?

tpbiker
    Free Member

I think he just wants to say “I told you so!” instead forgetting about silly pub arguments.

exactly….

I just can’t let it go when I know categorically that someone is talking out their arse

But also surprised that an average Scottish salary and average english salary for example isn’t easy to find…

euans2
    Free Member

When did Scotland become a region?

Drac

Touché

brassneck

Next STW T Shirt sorted right here

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Help me settle an argument please…regional incomes’ is closed to new replies.