• This topic has 10 replies, 7 voices, and was last updated 6 years ago by qtip.
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Help me replace my Berghaus Vapour Storm waterproof jacket
  • qtip

My Berghaus Vapour Storm is finally completely trashed. It was my perfect mountain biking / cycle commuting /every day jacket and I just can’t find anything to replace it with the features I want. Berghaus doesn’t even seem to have an equivalent any more.

Things I’m looking for:
    Good waterproofing and breathability – the Gore-Tex Active material was great IMO
    Elasticated sleeve cuffs – being able to pull up the sleeves made the jacket much more versatile in different temperatures
    Reasonably packable – small enough to bunch up and stuff in a camelbak or backpack without it taking too much space
    Non-insulated – I’d rather regulate temperature with base layers and would like a jacket that could be used at warmer times of the year too
    Reasonably tough – not going to tear on the first branch/bramble and can stand up to use with a pack

Any suggestions? Budget is around the £200 mark, although could stretch higher for the perfect jacket.
    Doesn’t need to be bike-specific, in fact I’d prefer more of an all-rounder that could be used for trail running too. I have a separate jacket for road cycling.

qtip

I may have answered my own question. The Arc’teryx Norvan seems to fit the bill. Anyone with any experience of these jackets?

BadlyWiredDog

Have a look at the Montane Spine Jacket as well. Similar idea, nice cut, GTX Active, just one small exterior chest pocket that’s just right for a phone.

I’ve not used a Norvan, but most Arc’teryx stuff I have tried has been really well thought through and well cut. The C-KNIT stuff has a very nice soft handle to it, but maybe is slightly less breathable than Active. Arc’teryx cut tends to suit wide shoulders too if that’s an issue.

Both aren’t dissimilar to the Vapour Storm, but neither has those gill-stryle vents. But yeah, I reckon those two aren’t far off though the lack of pockets might not be great for general use.

shredder
    Free Member

I have the Spine jacket and its a great bit of kit.

Also not sure what size you are but a fair reduction on
    This

squealer
    Free Member

Ive literally just been through the same process as you and today this turned up:

https://www.evanscycles.com/gore-bike-wear-one-goretex-pro-jacket-EV284155

Initial impression is that whilst it’s a bit rustly, it looks great and fits very well.

I used Tesco boost clubcard vouchers so cost me very little as well.

qtip

Thanks for the suggestions. No elasticated cuffs though, plus I’m not a fan of black jackets and don’t like the Montane blue. Norvan still looks like the one to beat.

chakaping
    Free Member

Endura MT500 looks very promising.

jameswilliams54
    Free Member

Before you buy anything else check out the gore tex usable lifetime warranty.

I sent the same jacker back after 3-4 years of very good use to berghaus as it was wetting through (even after re-proofing).
    After inspection I got a full refund from the supplier

Replaced it with a Alp kit gravitas which is lighter but no where near as good

qtip

The Gore-Tex on my Vapour Storm is fine – it’s the holes in it and the knackered zip that are the problem!

MT500 looks a little on the heavyweight/bulky side compared to what I’m after

spooky_b329

Do Gore have a similar lifetime warranty? I’ve been in the same dilemma but can’t find a paclite style jacket within budget…the zip is curling up on itself and now the inside layer of the goretex is peeling off 🙁 Still perfectly waterproof!

qtip

Just found the new 7Mesh Guardian – looks spot on. Expensive though, and not yet available here. I love my 7Mesh Oro, so this could be a contender for stretching the budget.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Help me replace my Berghaus Vapour Storm waterproof jacket’ is closed to new replies.