Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Help me replace a garage door (designers assemble)
  • sharkbait
    Free Member

House has this garage door

It used to be a through garage but most of it has been converted into a bedroom and all that’s left is effectively a utility room (sink, washer,drier, dog, overflow fridge/freezer,worktops and shelves for storage) about 9′ deep behind this old door. There is no access to the ‘garage’ from within the house and nor will there be in the future.
    I want to change this door as it’s dying and is a PITA. My current options are either a single door on the right and a window or a pair of outward opening double doors located centrally with a slim panel either side and maybe a full width glazed panel across the top.
    I want some light in there but I certainly don’t want full length glass.

As you can see there’s a bit of a slope.

Anybody have thoughts/suggestions?

davewilson634
    Free Member

There’s another thread in here about roller doors ….look smart take up next to no room and are insulated then just level floor off

Onzadog
    Free Member

Another option might be a horrmann sectional door as you can have Windows fitted to the sections if you wish. It also keeps the conventional look of the house. You could include a wicket door as well if you so wished.

tiggs121
    Free Member

Whatever you do make look like this when it’s done!

More ideas here.

oliverd1981
    Free Member

I’m hoping to go for timber side-folding doors when I get my garage built – I reckon they;d suit that job nicely.

They’re turning out to be quite hard to find though

davewilson634
    Free Member

Hormann sectional would set you back s fortune also they need along of space inside

mick_r

Double skin insulated side hinged garage doors (outward opening). The ones I know are from Carteck / Teckentrup, Ryterna and Novoferm. All can have small windows. Not cheap – min £1500 ish fitted. Full use of space inside and easy access through one door.

wobbliscott
    Free Member

Hormann are v.pricey but pretty much top of the line. Not sure how you think sectional doors take up more space inside. They take up a lot less space than an up and over door – they leave the garage door aperture fully open and un-obscured, you can use them even if you park your car right unto the door. They seal on all 4 sides when closed. So take up no room inside whatsoever. When closed all you have is a track at either side and the door lies flat against he ceiling, very close, when open. I’ve just got a sectional door from Costco – very similar to a Hormann. The only downside is the price, but they are a real step above cheaper options – very well engineered, top quality, 40mm think foam sandwiched between steel sheets. Look a real quality product.

Depends on your budget really. You get what you pay for with these things. A straight replacement with the standard up and over door I had before would have been about £400, but it was crap before and would be just as crap if replaced. A garage door is a big and obvious thing so you want it to look smart as well as being functional.

I think for the house above being a modern house a sectional or roller shutter door would suit.

midlifecrashes

Block and render, door and window in a similar style to existing. Recess the blockwork a couple of inches to make a visual break with the rest and you won’t have to try to make a perfect blend at the joins. Paint the whole house nice and fresh once done and it’ll look like it was there forever.

sharkbait
    Free Member

I’m hoping to go for timber side-folding doors when I get my garage built

Seaside location and everything else is uPVC so I think I’d rather go down that route. I don’t really need to open the whole of the front up hence the idea of double doors – use just one 95% of the time or both if moving something bigger in/out.

Block and render, door and window in a similar style to existing

That’s certainly one option although I’m liking a complete upvc installation as it’s quick and easy. Would something like this look stupid?

Any further ideas/opinions appreciated.

midlifecrashes

Thought you didn’t want tall glass. Make the bottom half solid panel and make sure you specify good reinforcing to stop it wobbling when you slam the door, and it’ll look fine.

oliverd1981
    Free Member

Aesthetically, I wouldn’t have the top window – try and match the lines of your existing UPVC…

sharkbait
    Free Member

MLC: No I don’t want lower glass and would have solid panels lower down.

Oliver: I’m worried that without the top panel the doors would look too tall (2.5m), but I agree about trying to match the level of the glazing bars to the existing glazing on the right.

davewilson634
    Free Member

Wobbliscott I know because I’ve been fitting them for the past 9 years ! Rollers take a maximum of 300×300 mm space inside the garage and sectionals take roughly 9ft of the garage space which limits what u can do inside .. If you want a automated sectional u need 10ft . the drive looks like it rises on the right which means if you went side hungs then you would end up with a bigger gap under doors to clear rising drive

sharkbait
    Free Member

There is a rise but it shouldn’t affect a pair of centrally positioned doors each 3′ wide.

davewilson634
    Free Member

What size opening do u have

sharkbait
    Free Member

2.5m high x 2.3m wide

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Help me replace a garage door (designers assemble)’ is closed to new replies.