Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 51 total)
  • Help me reasure a friend – Pregnancy test content…
  • TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

Mate is adamant that they must have a false positive result, I’ve already offerred my congratulations 🙂

Always used contraception, only time they didn’t, emergency contraception was used… but following a bout of sickness this weekend his Mrs has taken a test and it’s come back positive.

As far as I’m aware this almost certainly means he’s having a baby… anyone here had a false positive result??

bristolbiker
    Free Member

Give it nine months and find out for sure…..

yunki
    Free Member

Has your mate’s Mrs been near Dartmoor recently..?

5thElefant
    Free Member

As a mate you should point out, repeatedly, that it’s not his.

hels
    Free Member

And, women have been known to lie about contraceptive use if they really want a baby, and their bloke doesn’t.

ski
    Free Member

anyone here had a false positive result?

We have had positive tests, which for whatever reason, have not resulted in a pregnancy, I don’t think I would have described them as false positives though?

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

I think contraceptive failure is more likely than a false positive

GW
    Free Member

hels – Member
    And, women have been known to lie about contraceptive use if they really want a baby.

so have men 😉

mogrim

Apparently can happen, if Wikipedia is to be believed:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pregnancy_test#False_positives

Mind you, the three positive tests that my wife had all turned out to be true (albeit the second miscarried…)

TheFopster
    Free Member

False positives far rarer than false negatives – and those aren’t common. Suggest cigars all round. No doubt a shock to the system if unexpected but doesn’t mean it’s necessarily bad news. Sounds like he may have a lot of thinking to do – best done on a long bike ride in my experience…

philconsequence
    Free Member

i dont know about all these “oh its 99% effective” spouting people, they should really carry out an objective test themselves before trusting something they read on the back of a pill packet!

i’ve never taken the pill and i’m not pregnant.

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

best done on a long bike ride in my experience…

Sounds like an ideal excuse to drag him to Brechfa for a day or two… 🙂

molgrips
    Free Member

There’s still a good chance that the pregnancy won’t ‘take’ so to speak (early miscarriage or so-called ‘chemical’ pregnancy which really isn’t). So your mate can either pin his hopes on that or MTFU 🙂

Stoner
    Free Member

Not particularly relevant to preganancies, but Ive always liked this little article by Ben Goldacre on test results.

Datamining for terrorists would be lovely if it worked

TheFlyingOx

There are a number of cases in which a false positive could be obtained. Is your mate’s missus on any medication that may contain hCG? Blood or protein in the urine can cause +ve results. She may also have natural antibodies against the chemicals used in the pregnancy kit, which again could give a +ve result.

Chances are, though, she’s preggers.

JPcapel
    Free Member

This is the danger of playing hide the sausage!

Are they ready for the new chapter of life that this could well take them on, if they are happy with each other, then hopefully they will be happy with the news regardless of not planning it.
    In my 20’s I didn’t think I wanted children – am selfish (common male trait), now have 2 and they are beyond brilliant.
    Good luck to your friend what ever the outcome.
    Always seems a little sad though if the first reaction isnt joy.
    When my wife told me we were expecting our first baby, my only concern was she had wee-ed in my fav. tea mug in order to do the test, she reminds me often of this re-action to this great news!!!!

toys19
    Free Member

We had false negs on both our babies, my mrs only gave up the coke and gin when she had missed her third period..

ebygomm
    Free Member

If by emergency contraception you mean the morning after pill the failure rate for this is much higher than the likelihood of a false positive test.

geetee1972
    Free Member

There is another possibility, much darker and that may not warrant cigars

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

Think I’ll save that one geetee!

So it’s looking like I might get another chance to become the Godfather.

staralfur
    Free Member

Tremendous post there by Geetee!

geetee1972
    Free Member

Yeah you know what that was pretty rank of me. Apologies to your mate TSY.

FWIW when we went to see the doctor following a positive home test, we sort of assumed that the reason for the appointment was to confirm or otherwise. The GP basically said that the home kits are so good these days that they worked 100% on the assumption that a positive result meant you were having a baby.

emma82
    Free Member

Negatives can be wrong, positives aren’t but like Molgrips said it could be a chemical pregnancy. Doubt a doctor will do another pg test if they’ve done a home one because they are the same tests.

When you say your ‘friend’ Yeti – are you just in denial? 😯

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

I’m definitely not pregnant Emma.

It seems more and more like she is though!

qwerty
    Free Member

Tell him that you’ve been shagging her more than he has so its probably yours, he’ll thank you for it ….one day.

MrsToast
    Free Member

There’s still a good chance that the pregnancy won’t ‘take’ so to speak (early miscarriage or so-called ‘chemical’ pregnancy which really isn’t).

Aye, I think something like 25% of pregnancies end in miscarriage, but a lot of them are in the very early stages so a lot of women don’t realise they were pregnant in the first place.

brassneck

FWIW when we went to see the doctor following a positive home test, we sort of assumed that the reason for the appointment was to confirm or otherwise. The GP basically said that the home kits are so good these days that they worked 100% on the assumption that a positive result meant you were having a baby

+1 three times over for us. Encourage them to buy a road bike and a turbo.

geetee1972
    Free Member

+1 three times over for us.

Brassneck with three kids already I really hope you’re figured out what causes it. 😀

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

As Geetee says, my mate did pregnancy test and it was positive, she was hoping it was wrong went to Dr who said “yup those tests are the same as we would do, let’s sort out the paperwork for midwife appointments”. so the answer is “yup your friend is pregnant” best start helping them deal with it! Good luck.

JEngledow
    Free Member

best start helping them deal with it!

I think that give you two choices:

1) stairs, or
    2) wire coat-hanger!

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

Saw a sign on a condom machine once that said ‘Insert baby for Refund’.

Perhaps he should approach the shop he got the contraceptives from, give them the baby and ask for his money back

marsdenman
    Free Member

Saw a sign on a condom machine once that said ‘Insert baby for Refund’.

My favourite condom machine graffiti read ‘Buy me and stop one…’

brassneck

Brassneck with three kids already I really hope you’re figured out what causes it.

Close proximity to gooseberry bushes apparently. I’ve been keeping her out of garden centers ever since.

PJM1974
    Free Member

There are several reasons why it might not happen.

However in the meantime either he needs to DTFU or emigrate to Timbuktu.

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

DTFU?

wwaswas

DadTFU?

GrahamS

Daddy The Father Up?

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

LOL! I’ll be using that 😀

PJM1974
    Free Member

Yep, DadTFU!

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

I have a feeling they’ll be DummyingTFU at first though 😀

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 51 total)

The topic ‘Help me reasure a friend – Pregnancy test content…’ is closed to new replies.