Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Help me please, before i go insane :( – five mech hanger help!
  • oscillatewildly
    Free Member

my mech hanger was a little bent, so i decided to check take it out and replace…upon taking it out, i noticed that the 2 screws that hold it in place were continuously turning….ie, not locking in….

so as advised last night by a few folk on here, i got a new mech hanger today and 2 new bolts….

i go to put it in tonight, thinking its a nice easy job, and low and behold it does exactly the same 🙁 the hanger wont screw in properly, there is no locking going on, just keeps spinning 🙁

it has wound me up past comprehension tonight, why on earth wont it tighten up? the mech hanger can be pulled out almost its that loose 🙁

also a note when the mech hanger is out of the frame (both mech hangers) it screws in fine, and locks in when its reached the end of its thread….

why oh why wont it do this when i try to put it in the frame 🙁

please help, i dare not go out with it like this, the mech hanger is holding on by 2 loose tiny screws 🙁

and i cant see how its stripped the thread as it screws fine when the hangers are out? plus 2 stripped mech hangers? both the same, one brand new, 1 a year old…..both BETD

help!

orangefive
    Free Member

Without it in the frame and with the screws in the hanger, how much thread is visible?

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

hmmm a mm or so at most?

orangefive
    Free Member

Did you also order the screws from BETD?

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

yeah they are identical, both hangers and both sets of screws?

orangefive
    Free Member

ah hang on im being dim. It was my cannondale I had something similar with. Cant think why it would be doing that with your orange hangers??? hmmmm….

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

🙁 i cant believe its a problem with the BETD stuff, as others will have used them im sure and never heard of this? i just cannot figure out why? i really have no idea?

is there supposeto be a thread in the holes in the frame itself, or are they just holes?

as mine certainly doesnt have a thread on the frame itself for the 2 screws….

legend
    Free Member

if there’s only a mm of screw showing then it sounds like the dropout’s too wide. Getting some longer screws would be the easiest fix

coatesy
    Free Member

No thread in the frame,how far through the frame do they go? should be about the thickness of the hanger protruding, if it’s only a couple of mm then it’ll just strip the start of the hanger’s thread.

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

just a not also, when the screws are in the the frame and hanger, when its screwed in as far as it will go there is no thread showing, its level with the end of the hanger thread, but spinning of course…..

really cant see how its stripped, and like i said this one is brand new and the same?

i dont get it, really really really dont!

do BETD make orange ones as standard? or do orange do there own?

Junkyard
    Free Member

what he said not long enough?
    goes to check for threads but I cannot believe they are threaded but will check
    Hijack GD what is happening re sale?

coatesy
    Free Member

Orange do their own. Possible stupid question here-it’s not the tool that’s slipping in the bolt, is it?

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

coatsey – as above when the hanger is in place in the frame, the screw comes just to the end of the hanger in its place? which surely sounds right?

junkyard, sorry about the delay, ill hopefully get around to it at the end of this week, having a time of it at the mo haha!

Junkyard
    Free Member

ok not threaded on the frame but they are counter sunk. the bolt extends about 1 mm out the back of mine when fully bolted and does go tight. think mine are from BETD FWIW.

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

coatsey – hmmm no dont think so as its the correct tool, and even when ive then got the hanger out, the screws thread in fine, and lock up at at the end of its thread travel, it is almost as if it isnt long enough to get a locking in place, but then i dont get that, as its clearly threading on, just not locking but spinning?

legend
    Free Member

Coatesy’s asking if you’re using the right sized allen key – just in case…

the next question will be how tightly did you try to fasten the screws on your first attempt?

Junkyard
    Free Member

mine can go tight as i can -without risking the allen head.
    So not sure what difference that will make.

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

they are star type nuts, not allen key ones…but ive got the right tool im sure…

how tightly? hmmmmm well i just tightened it expecting it to lock at some point, i wasnt going nuts, i thought it would just stop when it had reached the end of the thread?

i mean its not the end of the world, as it cant really be the frame can it? its obviously either me, or the BETD stuff, only problem is i cant bloody use the bike for fear of a) my mech falling off and the likes! b) everything falling off and going into my wheel whilst riding c)death 😆

so frustrating this 🙁

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

junkyard – what length are your screws? sorry to be a pain but there has to be something simple to this?

Junkyard
    Free Member

bit personal at least 8 ” if you excite me 😉

9mm first 3mm is the countersink so not threaded

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

righty the first 2mm is the head on mine before the thread starts, then the threaded bit starts is 5mm in legnth till the end?

is this the problem then?

so the total lenght of the screw in total is 7mm

is yours a total of 9mm? or a total of 12mm? sorry to be annoying just want to make sure

Junkyard
    Free Member

dont have calipers but yes 9 mm is the TOTAL length as best as I can tell 100% sure longer than 7 mm. I have some spare bolts if that helps – actually may have used the original ones when I changed it over give me 10 mins will go and check my spare mech hanger.

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

cheers junkyard, appreciated sir! ill probably have to order another mech hanger now, may just get one from orange now instead, and i can ring them and ask first too to make sure….

but yeah please check squire! would be appreciated!

Junkyard
    Free Member

after all that no bolts with it. Sorry cant help further.
    Call orange in the morning and ask them for advice

iFlash76
    Free Member

Hi, did this get sorted? I have the same problem. Its only the rear quick release that is holding the mech to the frame! 😕

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

hi iflash – well im on the case, apparently the screws are m4 8mm countersunk i need……

the ones i have by my measurement are m3 (if that refers to the diameter of the actual thread?)

mine is exactly the same though the screws are gonna pop out if i hit a bump…

very strange!

im getting a new mech hanger and screws at lunch, ill report back…

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘Help me please, before i go insane :( – five mech hanger help!’ is closed to new replies.