Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Help Me please
  • rudager
    Free Member

Hi, i need help with a hope zero stack headset fittng. i have a mongoose tyax super 2010 and have purchased a hope headset to replace the rubbish one ive got at the mo. Now, i cant get the cups to fit in the headtube and the manual calls for the headtube to be reamed and faced. what does this mean?

Junkyard
    Free Member

reaming is a posh word for hitting the headset with this

reaming means drilling effectively to make sure the tube is perfectly round but is rarely required IMHO
    Faced same thing to make sur ethe edge is 90 degrees to tube again not required IMHO
    i do install with a hammer but not a lump hammer

pixelmix
    Free Member

Reem

[must stop sitting in the living room with the laptop when Mrs PixelMix has rubbish on the TV]

djen83
    Free Member

Get yourself a hammer and some wood (to soften the blow). Then a large G-clamp to press the cups.

Saves a trip to the LBS

rudager
    Free Member

have tried using hammer with wood a heavy duty vice and tried g clamps. they just dont want to go in.

Tom83

I use a bit of threaded bar, with loads of large spacers either side, with a cap nut on one end, and just tighten the normal nut until it sits in. I use a hammer/block of wood to get them seated. You might just need to hit it harder!

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

LBS

TheSwede
    Free Member

If you are having trouble, take it to a bike shop instead of buggering up your frame.
    Where do you live?

rudager
    Free Member

i live in basingstoke. just got this email from a LBS “We could face the headtube for you but are unable to ream Zerostack headtubes. We can face and press in your new headset for £20. Please call the workshop on if you’d like to book this.”.
    Does that sound like a decent price to you ?

Junkyard
    Free Member

no but it is the going rate

TheSwede
    Free Member

Annoying isn’t it. I would do it for nothing in 5 minutes for you but unfortunately I live 2 hours away.

PJay
    Free Member

Facing is cutting the ends of the tube to make them smooth and parallel to each other. Reaming is (I think) cutting out the bore of the tube to ensure it’s the right size. Generally you shouldn’t need them doing (imho) but I did need the headtube of my last frame faced (my LBS face and ream as part of the same process I believe) to get the cups to sit properly.

I’d go along with the others, if you’re struggling go along to the LBS and get it done properly rather than whacking it with a mallet, there is the danger of wrecking both the headset and frame!

I was charged £20 for facing and reaming together. I’ve no experience of zero stack headset or headtubes though.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Help Me please’ is closed to new replies.