Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Help me plan a euro mtb road trip
  • nasher
    Free Member

Me and the missus are planning a 2-3 week holiday in August as it will be our first in 4 years.

Plan is to go up from San Remo (Italy) to Val D’aosta then head into Chamonix. from here i was thinking of doing a couple of Frenchh resorts before heading back into Italy and onto Livigno.

From here I am a bit stuck, I would like to go to Switzerland, Austria and Slovenia before heading back to the italian Riviera.

So could you guys reccommend some areas to ride (not Lake Garda and morzine) as well as camp sites and maybe a few agriturismo’s etc…

I was thinking a day or two in each area unless the riding is that good we can stay longer.

BTW lifts are not always essential.

Cheers

Stoner
    Free Member

word of warning, that’s a long trip for a short period. You will spend a lot of time, driving, resting, pitching, striking camp. Then you have to “get to know” the trails a bit in what time you have left.

In 2-3 weeks Id really limit yourself to two good destinations if you want to concentrate on riding.

If on the other hand, you want to spend time travelling, touring and exploring (just as good an idea IMO) then taking in such a arge area is less of a problem.

agentdagnamit
    Free Member

Knowing what and where you ride in Italy, I think you’ll enjoy Chamonix more than Portes De Soleil. Aosta’s supposed to be pretty good if you’re going under Mt Blanc, and Verbier is near by too?

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    nasher
    Free Member

Stoner, I did fancy doing some travelling also but as we have to pitch tents etc.. (never done a camping road trip before) then I may limit it to the East or west side of Italy, taking in Austria maybe…

Hi Stu, yeah I am avoiding the portes du soleil, how’s Jo?

agentdagnamit
    Free Member

Jo is OK, remember her broken wrist? the metal plate needs to come out, so no riding for a few weeks…. 😥

How’s Jo?

nasher
    Free Member

She broke her ankle, but she is OK now.

Jo’s eh? give her my best wishes, BTW where did you stay in Chamonix?

agentdagnamit
    Free Member

Myjo broke her wrist a month or so before we came out to stay with you (we cancelled a climbing trip to go riding instead). It’s been giving her jip a year or so on.

I’ve rented apartments in Chamonix and camped in the town, there’s a site just outside of the town centre. If you go in July or August there’s a bike ban on most trails in the valley which can be quite aggressively enforced.

nasher
    Free Member

Thats Chamonix out of the question then, Look like its eastern europe then.

stevomcd
    Free Member

nasher – come over and see us, no bike bans here! You can drive from Val d’Aosta straight to the Tarentaise via the Col de Petit Saint Bernard.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Help me plan a euro mtb road trip’ is closed to new replies.