Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Help me pick a multi tool
  • hardtail5
    Free Member

I have Wiggle vouchers to use! Mainly looking a the Topeak range as they look decent, good reviews and 9-11sp chain tools.

Alien II looks comprehensive, but very bulky so I don’t think it’ll fit in my saddle bag.

Mini 20 ticks the boxes on the tools front, but is the chain breaker easy to use being finger operated? And lack of two tyre levers doesn’t look ideal?

Hexus II is a decent size and two levers – does the chain tool work nicely when using one of the levers as a handle?

z1ppy

Have a Helix II and the chain tool worked fine the once I’ve needed to used it (on a 10spd chain) but IIRC I read it’s not actually 11 speed recommended, though there website says otherwise.. so now I’m confused

Find it a little more frustrating than my old CB 17, but I wanted a change, and though great and long lasting (from CB, would you believe it?) it’s short allen keys were annoying

warpcow
    Free Member

As usual I’ll recommend the Crank Brothers multi-17. It just works,and very well too.

edit: this sums it up nicely.

hardtail5
    Free Member

I looked at the M19 but not 11 speed compatible and want to future proof it for when I go 1×11?

Bez

I have the Alien and the Hexus (not sure if either are the ‘II’ variants).

Both work well for what I’ve used them for but neither is perfect; the Alien is an awkward shape (I personally think the same of all wide-bodied tools like the Multi-17) while the Hexus, which is *almost* fantastic, has a howling design flaw in that the 8mm adapter lives on the 5mm key and is capped rather than open-ended, which means 9 times out of 10 you have to take the damn thing off before using the tool and put it back on again afterwards, making sure you don’t drop it in a ditch in the meantime. I’ve fortunately had no need to use either of the chain tools.

My favourite to use is the X-Tool, which is nice and simple and fits in the hand perfectly, but it doesn’t have a chain tool or a Torx driver so it won’t cover everything.

steve_b77
    Free Member

Crank Bros M19 or M17, they do work with 11 speed chains, I’ve used mine for building numerous bikes and changing 11 speed chains no worries.

andykentos
    Free Member

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/topeak-ratchet-rocket-11-function-multi-tool/

Had this for years, the ratchet is really good quality, chain splitter works well and you can just pick what bits you need for your bike. Also space in between the bits to carry a quicklink. And it works for 11 speed.

Best multitool i have ever used

km79
    Free Member

Hexus II for me, does everything I need it to. Chain tool is great, works fine with the lever as a handle although as a tyre lever its a bit pants.

bigblackshed

Hexus 2 or Ratchet Rocket. I’ve got both and they work well. Neither are workshop quality or ease of use, but they do the job if need be.

vincienup
    Free Member

I like the little Park iBeam. It’s got the tools I want including a decent chain breaker and isn’t a huge lump.

Multitools are for carrying and quick fixes. I think they’ve gone the way of the old Swiss Army knife with too many toys at expense of pocketability in many cases.

Tiger6791

Hexus 2 is okay but as mentioned the 8mm cap on the 5mm key is just stupid!

And the tyre levers are made out of cheese

tillydog
    Free Member

Lezyne SV10 – small, strong and just works (including the chain breaker).

Stick a couple of tyre levers in separately if you want them.

Bez

That I-Beam looks nearly very nice: a decent size, all the vital tools*, and the 8mm cap** is on the 6mm key, but what the flip were they thinking with that stumpy 5mm?

(Mind you, I tend to carry a full-size 5mm on drop-bar bikes anyway since no multitool will reach lever clamp bolts…)

* wrong choice of screwdriver if you ask me
    ** still much prefer a sliding one like on the Topeak X Tool

akira

Ratchet rocket, it’s quite pleasing to use as opposed to most other multi tools.

boriselbrus
    Free Member

Hexus 2 here for years. Everything you need, nothing you don’t and I used the chain tool as the workshop tool for a week when the apprentice mechanic broke the proper one. Works fine.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Help me pick a multi tool’ is closed to new replies.