Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Help me pick a 29er FS frame
  • dvatcmark
    Free Member

I fancy change my FF29 frame to a FS but am struggling with options so any advice would be appreciated.

I’m after building something that’s a good all day XC bike but isn’t scared of being thrown down a bit of steep stuff during a ride anf for this reason itll have a dropper. I’ve got a mega for ‘big’ days out but the mega is a bit much to drag around all the time.

Here’s the criteria

29er
    120mm fork, tapoured steerer
    QR rear (although could change the hub if required)
    31.6 seatpost
    No need for a front mech

Any ideas?

Cheers

shortcut

You may need to accept a change in hub and a change in seatpost as many of the options out there are 30.9 and either 142 or Boost.

My thoughts would be Santa Cruz Tall Boy and Pivot 429sl, Niner and Turner are all worth looking at if you have the cash to spare.

Yetiman
    Free Member
    pete68
    Free Member

I’ve got the pivot 429c for the type of riding you describe so the newer sl would be good. If I was changing now though I’d be looking at the 429 trail. The new tallboy 3 would be on my list as well. As has been said you’ll struggle to find an up to date frame with a qr back end.

granny_ring

What size frame you after OP

Wookster

Transition Smuggler? 130 at the front though and hub change required….so maybe I should get back in my box?

ulysse
    Free Member

Some good ideas here, I’m thinking about finally going back to full boing 120mm wagon wheels too

Northwind

Trek Fuel Ex? They’ve turned it into a sort of mini-Remedy for this year.

BearBack
    Free Member

New Spark.
    Watch what brendog is riding on his 27.5 version and you’ll see how capeable the new platform is.
    Scott have historically shipped rear dropout adapters to suit 135qr, 135×12 and 142×12 but I don’t know what will happen with the new rear end as boost.

dvatcmark
    Free Member

Some good candidates so far, should have said I’ll be looking for large. Changing the rear hub isn’t too much of a problem

yourguitarhero
    Free Member

A Salsa Spearfish frame would do you. Ridiculously expensive new but decent value second hand

Euro
    Free Member

Cotic FlareMAX?

It’s it’s half as good as the RocketMAX then it’s a winner. Very little on the MAX range review wise, but they are a great riding bike. The option to run 650b + is there if that’s what you’re into. Don’t see the point myself as i don’t get on with soft tyres.

dvatcmark
    Free Member

I’ve seen a few Spearfish’s second hand at a good price, aren’t they quite steep geometry?

MarkE25

A horsethief might be an option if you want something a few degrees slacker at the front. Very nice to ride and good for longer stuff too.

ulysse
    Free Member

Don’t hate me, but I was looking at Codeine frames last night…
    Looks like the blue and stealth gray are in stock in medium, but it’s more travel than the components I have lying about, so is it worth doing a full new build in 27.5 if I go down the on one route

z1ppy

Whyte T-129, can’t buy it f/o new but 2nd hand?

pigyn
    Free Member

Why is a Spearfish ‘ridiculously expensive new’?
    Very light carbon frame for £1999? Compared to most other frame only carbon bikes that are £2500-£3000?

Although, at 120 you are after the Horsetheif or Pony Rustler frame. Again, £1999 and such good fun. I have been riding one with 27+ setup and it’s phenomenal. Very impressed! Should make an equally great 29er. We weighed a stock frame at 5.75lbs with shock. If you are looking second hand then steer clear of anything pre split pivot, they aren’t the same bikes.

My girlfriend has been riding our Orbea Occam demo and says it’s everything her Smuggler is but lighter. Frame only for these is £2399, full bike with carbon frame from £3100.

If you aren’t fussed about carbon then Smugglers are amazing, super super fun and very fast!
    It’s a great time to be into 29ers :p

Picture of me loving the Pony Rustler/Horsetheif:
    https://www.facebook.com/pedalsedinburgh/photos/pcb.1149243151780176/1149243098446848/?type=3&theater

I don’t want to give it back to the shop!

djflexure

Large here

Meets your spec apart from rear hub. Its what I have with 120mm Pikes. Few threads on them.

Nice pic pigyn

pigyn
    Free Member

Cheers :p

It isn’t even a real trail, just a rock off to the side of a walkers path. The internet is a web of lies.

scandal42
    Free Member

You need a whyte t129.

Sadly they dont come frame only but I managed to buy mine 2nd hand. Never seen one for sale since though.

Capt.Kronos
    Free Member

Probably be putting my large T129S up for sale soon. I haven’t decided if I am going to split it or not as yet, but if you are interested in such a thing let me know.

Otherwise Trek Fuel EX, Transition Smuggler and Nukeproof Mega 290 are on my list – along with a couple of plus numbers (Fuel EX Plus, Hightower and Pony Rustler but that one is a more complicated option!)

chestrockwell

I think my current Orange Segment is ace if that’s any help

ceepers

Spesh camber evo?

Not sure about seat tube but suits the riding you describe – two mates have them and love them, one is currently riding well as 27.5+

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘Help me pick a 29er FS frame’ is closed to new replies.