Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Help me out… what's the best bike-type-thing you can get for
  • poppa
    Free Member

I have a friend who has asked me to help him choose a bike, on the basis that I am a keen cyclist. However he has a max budget of £300, and I suspect he would like to spend significantly less.

Being a keen cyclist I would probably find it easier to choose him a bike for £1000 than £300, however. In that price range they all seem quite similar, and the recent price hikes mean that you don’t seem to get much for your money.

So, STW, are there any bargains or ‘obvious choices’ in the <£300 price range, or should I just trawl Evans etc. discount section, and painfully compare the bikes component by component.. Acera vs Alivio blah blah blah..?

Apparently it needs to be able to go off road (not to be confused with mountain biking), and handle a 5mile commute (predominantly road).

Thanks all!

docrobster
    Free Member

Decathlon have a lot of sub £300 bikes and always seem good value

dufresneorama
    Free Member

2nd hand if he’s not too snobby

lunge

2nd Decathlon, their sub £300 bikes are very good VFM. They are proper bikes rather than bike shaped objects.

float
    Free Member
    Markie
    Free Member

Put an ad in the ‘wanted’ forum and see what’s around – best bang for buck whatever type of bike he’s after.

poppa
    Free Member

Thanks guys, useful. Although I doubt hell be bothered with going second hand (even if it would be the best thing).

greasystain
    Free Member

Specialized Hardrock is always a good place to start.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Help me out… what's the best bike-type-thing you can get for’ is closed to new replies.