Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Help me out of apathy-build a budget 'track' style commuter
  • hora
    Free Member

Im fat and lazy. Loved my old Fuji but its gone and they all seem to be about 300 used 😮

I sold mine for 120 on here! Anyway need frame/forks etc- where to start?? Scruffy is fine but which budget cranks and where for circa 45??

boblo
    Free Member

New triple from Spa for £35.

mattsccm
    Free Member

any old steel frame from the tip.to match the wheels you have. As long as it has proper drop outs. fixed needs that proper hub or just bung on a fixed cog on a normal screw on and beat a lockring on afterwards.

thepodge
    Free Member

Just buy a fashion fixie like a Create or something for under 150. Their quality has vastly improved over the last 12 months and you’ve got enough spares & knowhow to keep it running if / when it dies

hora
    Free Member

Podge, the next time you are looknig for a mountain bike I’ll point you towards WhatMTB mag and Carrera bikes 🙄

trail_rat
    Free Member
    thepodge
    Free Member

Carrera are bloody good value

you asked for a budget suggestion, not a bling bike at an unobtainable low price

A fashion fixie does everything you need and at a price you’re happy with.

If you want something cool then you’ll have to pay cool prices not budget prices

thepodge
    Free Member

Double post

hora
    Free Member

Put your money where your mouth is Podge!

traily- its not available to buy..

umop3pisdn
    Free Member

Dolan Pre Cursa, if you actually want something track rather than ‘fixie.’ These cranks are perfectly functional

thepodge
    Free Member

I don’t need one

I have an ancient fixie for polo that cost me 30 quid from the junk shop round the corner from me and a commuter that cost me 120 from eBay

Both cheap, both perfectly good for their intended purpose

If I was to buy a dedicated commuter I’d be hunting down a disc / alfine Carrera subway from a couple of years back.

hora
    Free Member

umop3pisdn – perfect. Cranks sorted. Just needs wheels and source frame/forks/headset. (I have ultegra calipers/bmx levers/bars/post etc from previous).
    Oh no:
    **** noice

I’m hesitant and getting something like an old Raleigh- partly because due to my weight I don’t want it to be too flexy.

binners

Just take a trip home via the velodrome tonight, have a look at the noticeboard, then spank too much money on a completely inappropriate track missile

hora
    Free Member

Just take a trip home via the velodrome tonight, have a look at the noticeboard, then spank too much money on a completely inappropriate track missile

…and one of those helmets then cry alot pretending to be Victoria Pendleton.

scholarsgate
    Free Member

how about one of these?

hora
    Free Member

I was going to post something about Paedo bikes then but didn’t 😆

trail_rat
    Free Member

hora incase you didnt catch it it was tongue firmly in cheek 😀

there was a lad dragging one into eddy bikes on sunday with a folded back wheel after a failed fixie skid ..

umop3pisdn
    Free Member

Look on the LFGSS classifieds, for some reason more track stuff seems to come up for sale on there than on STW

midlifecrashes

If you do want to go the Raleigh steel route, I have an Equipe with a Campagnolo Record/Mavic rear wheel you could have for £40 Check the bar tape!

hora
    Free Member

Where are you? (YGM) – it looks like the seat/top tube has been welded or is that just paint flaked.

midlifecrashes

It’s Redox rust converter, rust eater. I lent it to my mate last year when his commuter was nicked and he painted it on the scabby bits, now it looks worse than when he started. Are you coming to the pootle on the 14th? I should be coming over from Doncaster.

MrBlond
    Free Member

I’ve got a Sugino messenger crankset, 172.5, 42 teeth & BB knocking about, after what I paid for it which was £35 IIRC, mail in profile.

Oh, and I think I bought your Fuji 😉

Mowgli
    Free Member

I have a cheapo rear fixie wheel, came off a Giant Bowry I think. I replaced the bearings but haven’t used it since. Based near York.

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘Help me out of apathy-build a budget 'track' style commuter’ is closed to new replies.