Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • help me make shut eye…. any tips?
  • alpin
    Free Member

Not been able to sleep the last few weeks. GF is away during the week and has been fit the last month or so and is set to continue for at least another three weeks. I’m sure this has something to do with my inability to sleep.
    Remember hearing the church bells at 6:30 this morning. Not good.

Any tips for getting a decent night sleep?

Cheers.

Kryton57

A whole bottle of Jack Daniels circa 8pm.

HTH.

scotroutes

Are you tired?

weeksy

I wake about 5 times a night, generally starting 4am… I can’t say I enjoy it 🙁

Northwind

I got some “sleep aid” from tesco, just a herbal thing, valerian and hops and that. Does it help? Haven’t a clue. But being able to go “This is annoying, I can’t get to sleep, I’ll do something about it”- that helps!

My GP gave me what I think was actually this web page, printed out:
    http://www.sleepcouncil.org.uk/how-to-sleep/sleep-tips/
    Didn’t help at all but might help you?

GrahamS

No coffee, tea, coke or other caffeine after 4pm.
    Make sure your feet are warm when you are in bed. Warm feet = sound sleep.

GF is away during the week

Surely the solution is “at hand” so to speak?

Or is that the problem?

mrjmt
    Free Member

Ear plugs even if you think the room is quiet.

MSP

Melatonin
    5htp
    St johns wort

mogrim

Avoid alcohol.

cookeaa

I Read to get me off to sleep, too much stuff buzzing about in my head, find a book you like and read that to just change the focus of your thoughts, couple of chapters and I’m out.

Set my tablet up with bigger text size and white text on black background for reading in bed so I don’t light up the room and keep the missus awake, works a treat…

cranberry
    Free Member

Avoid alcohol +1

It makes you fall asleep faster, but gives a much poorer quality of sleep. leaving you feeling knackered the next day.

MoreCashThanDash

Church bells at 6.30? That would mean I’d not set the alarm….

j3ffo
    Free Member

In the past I’ve struggled with sleep sometimes too..

On the whole alcohol doesn’t seem to help me, sometimes helps me get off to sleep but the quality is reduced and I still get early morning waking..

I like coffee but only drink it on a morning now, then weak green tea early afternoon. Nothing with caffeine after 1400-1500 ish. Calmomile tea is pretty good and sometimes have one in an evening…

I try wind down on an evening for at least an hour before bed, no internet or watching exciting stuff, shopping for bikes, thinking about work etc. The wavelength of light emitted by tablets and phones is supposed to be similar to daylight. Melatonin is released in the absence of daylight entering the eye

Coolish bedroom that is DARK

Clean bedding

Some evidence that a cold shower helps (possibly warm too) as the body cools it helps melatonin release

Try sticking to same bed time and waking time, along with a dark room this helps melatonin release..

A calm relaxed mind: Brain dump (try sort stuff out during the day / eve so you go to bed with a calm mind).
    Meditation is good too (try headspace.com or the app)

I have had some success with 5-htp in the past, also Nytol or similar in the periods where I am really strugglng. Take them early (like 2000-2100) on an emptyish stomach. When you start to feel drowsy, do the above, and get yourself in bed. They can make you feel groggy the next day, especially if you take the full 50mg dose though…(i.e. nytol 50mg)

When you are in bed, try thinking about your breathing rather than thinking about sleeping. Just enjoy the process of being in bed and feeling relaxed… if you think about not being asleep it definately worsens the situation.

I manage a lot better now. Don’t use 5-htp or nytol and it has been a slow change in lifestyle with some of the above that has helped.

Good luck

trickydisco
    Free Member

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/tim-ferriss/11-tricks-for-perfect-sle_b_2527454.html

I tested the effect of combining shorter-than-usual 10-minute ice baths one hour prior to bed, timed with a countdown kitchen timer, with low-dose melatonin (1.5 – 3 mg) on regulating both sleep regularity and speed to sleep.

The result: it’s like getting hit with an elephant tranquilizer, even if the melatonin is omitted. Don’t expect it to be pleasant at first.

jam-bo

have children, then you’ll appreciate any chance to sleep you can…

wwaswas

I have a radio with a single earphone.

I listen to Radio 4/The World Service (voices, not music is the key – I have audiobooks when I’m out of the UK)

It cancels out the thoughts in my head replaying all the things that have happened/might happen/will happen.

jools182
    Free Member

crack one off?

hth

andyl
    Free Member

^ beaten too it.

Seems to be the most natural ‘remedy’

Sundayjumper

Meditation can be worth a try, Google for some stuff on “mindfulness”. It’s a good way of getting away from all those thoughts running around in your head and calming yourself down.

Also +1 for fresh clean bedding and having a shower before bed.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Church bells at 6.30? That would mean I’d not set the alarm….

It would mean someone had built a church next door overnight for me 😉

P-Jay
    Free Member

My problem was always getting my brain to ‘switch off’ it was worst when my wife worked nights.

I follow a mental exorcize, get into bed at a normal time – not PlayStation till 2am because the wife is away, get into bed, get comfortable and that I mentally take something apart and put it back together – engines, bikes, computers it doesn’t matter I picture the parts coming off, cleaning them etc – I’ve never once managed a full rebuild.

woody74

Might find a bit of meditation helps clear the mind, I read this the other day http://www.how-to-meditate.org/breathing-meditations.htm/

The other one that works really well is this stuff, loads of people I know use it and really rate it. http://www.thisworks.com/sleep/sleep-category/deep-sleep-pillow-spray.html

scruff
    Free Member

I can doze off really easily but once woken (either of 3 kids or the dog needing another sh1t) then I really struggle to nod back off until half hour before I have to get up.

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘help me make shut eye…. any tips?’ is closed to new replies.