Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • Help me locate a graveyard in Halifax
  • hora
    Free Member

Is this possible? Anyone remember this? Its on the way into Halifax (from the bypass way).

Its down a hill(?) under a bridge then up on the left just after the bridge.

A very longshot.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Googlemaps/satellite thingmy.

crikey
    Free Member

Eh?

It’s in Halifax, it’s a cemetery.

Are you really too simple to look it up?

I appreciate it’s Yorkshire, but even so, I suspect there will be records and possibly a representation of it on some kind of map.

Whathaveisaidnow
    Free Member

I’m not from there, but Parkwood Crem? possibly?

woody2000

Most random thread ever Hora 🙂

Which bypass are you talking about and coming from where? Coming down from the 62 @ Ainley Top? You could mean Parkwood Crem in Elland or Elland Cemetery (sounds promising as it’s off the bypass coming down from Ainley Top)

http://goo.gl/maps/RZ3uM

binners

anonymouse
    Free Member

Dead centre of town.

hora
    Free Member

Eh?

Are you really too simple to look it up?

I appreciate it’s Yorkshire, but even so, I suspect there will be records and possibly a representation of it on some kind of map.

Thing is I wouldn’t know where to start as Halifax (like Hudds) is dotted with small and large cemetery’s.

You could mean Parkwood Crem in Elland or Elland Cemetery (sounds promising as it’s off the bypass coming down from Ainley Top)

Cheers- will street view those.

I’m abit sceptical if it was in Halifax or on the way (Elland) as I said a very longshot. I want to take my mum there but her memory is failing.. (My great Grand Dad is buried there).

yourmywifenow
    Free Member

Could be Stoney Royd, if you come in on the A629 and take a right past the Shay turn right at the mini roundabout this is Water Lane, with a railway bridge over it, the graveyard is at the bottom of Water Lane. This is the largest graveyard in Halifax

crikey
    Free Member

Thing is I wouldn’t know where to start as Halifax (like Hudds) is dotted with small and large cemetery’s

Start with Halifax, then look up cemeteries. 🙄

Whathaveisaidnow
    Free Member

What was his name,..i’ve got a quiet afternoon ahead, will do some rummaging around if you like, you never know might find something?

hora
    Free Member

crikey – what are you bringing to the topic? White noise? I was hoping someone with local knowledge may know a way to a cemetry round there that sounded like the approach..

hora
    Free Member

Whathaveisaidnow John Or Jack White.

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

Stoney Royd ticks those boxes Hora.

I know of a cemetary in Halifax. That you can ride through. That has super gnar trails out the other side of it.

dangerousbeans
    Free Member

According to this page you can find someones burial site by name at Park Wood Crematorium, Elland; the records are available to the public.

If you do visit please note that from the carpark there is a ‘Way Out’ sign pointing upwards – always makes me chuckle.

http://www.calderdale.gov.uk/advice/births-marriages-deaths/funerals-cremations/cemeteries.html

Whathaveisaidnow
    Free Member

Whathaveisaidnow John Or Jack White.

Anything else to go on,….was he in the armed services anything like that?

maxtorque

I see dead people………….

But unfortunately not as far away as Halifax 😉

unovolo
    Free Member

42 results for Cemeteries in Halifax when searching on Yell.com.

However only a handful of them are actually in Halifax.

Have a look here
    http://www.yell.com/ucs/UcsSearchAction.do;jsessionid=48B434EFB5A8414CAB4A988FEF3F1AA9?keywords=cemeteries&location=halifax&scrambleSeed=12037317&targetName=&M=1&T=1&startOoaAt=0&pageNum=1

Whathaveisaidnow
    Free Member

I couldn’t find much without paying for credits

andybanks
    Free Member

Any chance of being more specific?

Its on the way into Halifax (from the bypass way).

Which end of the bypass? A bypass usually has two ends.

Its down a hill(?)

Have you been to Halifax recently. It’s in a big valley for god’s sake. Which one of the many hills?

under a bridge then up on the left just after the bridge.

I can count 4 bridges looking over the bypass from my house!

A very longshot.

Well, at least that bit was accurate

bamford
    Free Member

park wood crematorium? thats near the bypass, down a hill and on the left!
    if you are coming from halifax

hora
    Free Member

Whathaveisaidnow cheers though 🙂

rangeroy
    Free Member

exley Cemetery. by the look

bearnecessities

If you want some scoping/pics taken to narrow them down just send me a list of potentials and I’ll do the honours on Sat. Over that way.

Scapegoat

Stoney Royd would be the first place that answers your description Hora. Can you remember the layout, ie was it proper gravestones or laid out in plots like a crem? Park wood Crem is near two bridges off the bypass, but is a steep sloping site and far more modern than Stoney Royd. It also has some awsum trails in the woods above it!

john_drummer
    Free Member

gibbett street? yah I know not a cemetery, but surely a good source for the raw material 😉

Scapegoat

john_drummer – Member
    gibbett street? yah I know not a cemetery, but surely a good source for the raw material

Just one street over from Gibbet Street there was a proper old Victorian style necropolis on Lister Lane. There were mausoleums you could wander into and loads of huge stone slab tombs.

john_drummer
    Free Member

there’s a pretty impressive one not far from me. sadly in need of some TLC these days, but still…

Home

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)

The topic ‘Help me locate a graveyard in Halifax’ is closed to new replies.