Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)
  • help me justify the cost? (BB content)
  • Rorschach
    Free Member

Nah…buy a few (10 instead of hope!!) of these for the same money
    http://www.rosebikes.co.uk/article/shimano-bottom-bracket-cups-hollowtech-ii-sm-bb51/aid:368210

wolfenstein
    Free Member

exactly my thoughts, as i only do ride twice a week at most .. just can’t find a black shimano BB

Rorschach
    Free Member

‘anodizing pen’

wolfenstein
    Free Member

😯 that looks like a laser etched engraving pen

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

exactly my thoughts, as i only do ride twice a week at most .. just can’t find a black shimano BB

Yep. Just checked. I have now officially heard everything.
    Black BB? FFS people! 😀

wolfenstein
    Free Member

Black BB?

floats my boat 👿

Thrustyjust
    Free Member

Ive got a black King BB sitting idle as don’t want to mix it with my silver bits (cranks, hubs) on my Ti frame and have a ropey shimano one there for now. 😯 No its not for sale.

br
    Free Member

You are right, buy a load of cheap ones and then waste an extra however long it’ll take to change plus all those rides when you know they aren’t just right – or buy a Hope.

z1ppy

LOL, cause the Hope one will last 10 time longer right?
    That and it take all of 5 minutes to change a HT II cup.. which is why I love em.

jameso

can’t find a black shimano BB

XTR cups.

milky1980
    Free Member

Buy the Hope for three reasons:

The cups are re-usable – saves the environment 🙂
    The bearings do last longer so you will save the prospect of knackering your BB threads in the frame by constantly changing them out.
    You’re supporting a British company!

z1ppy

Funny how the only BB thread I’ve even had die, was due to a Hope BB spinning (while fitted).

wolfenstein
    Free Member

What about the nukeproof BB then?

jameso

The Praxis Works BB also has replacable std size bearings at £30 rrp, will pop one of those in the other bike soon.

Hope seem to have a good rep, or get a King and just clean the bearings rather than replace them. I’m impressed with the King so far, after getting 3-5 months a time from shimanos. It’s done at least 2 shimano’s worth of miles just between clean-outs and still feels smooth. Daft money for a BB but it may be worth it, time will tell. tbh the fact it lasted the whole of my trip last summer without packing up was worth the outlay over a shimano anyway.

chvck
    Free Member

If you keep an eye out you may be able to get a Hope ceramic one s/h for the price of a steel one new. I picked one up s/h a few years back and it’s still smooth despite being fully submerged in water quite a few times.

vorlich
    Free Member

I was just about to tell you to buy a Hope ceramic, rather than steel. But I see they’ve increased in price by about £25 since I got mine a year ago. 😯

robdob
    Free Member

I just bought a Hope BB as it was gold and that’s what I wanted to match the rest of my bike.
    Very nice quality.

Nowt wrong with wanting matching bits!

I don’t even ride once a week!

plus-one

No reason not to try the nuke proof one .. Just haven’t heard how they last ? I have no issues with shimano bb’s ..

I love hope stuff and yes bb is cracking looking durable etc.. My problem is the bearing sits directly onto axle and can seriously corrode/seize causing me headaches to remove …

robdob
    Free Member

Maybe some anti seize would work well then? Doesn’t every home mechanic have a tub of copper grease in their workshop? (BTW which never seems to get any emptier!).

plus-one

Yes copper grease applied but due to snug fit/constant rotational movement it’s quickly lost 🙁

matther01
    Free Member

Spend a little more and get an uberbike bb.

bigblackshed

Copper slip is high temperature anti-seize compound. It is no better than a water resistant grease.

Put it on the backs of brake pads by all means, the high temperature properties will then come in to their own.

Northwind

How about a Gusset EXT24? Available in black, longer lived than Shimano, servicable if you can be bothered, and easy to replace bearing too. Good stuff and not too expensive.

http://www.ukbikestore.co.uk/product/386/bbguxt2/gusset-ext24-bb.html

chiefgrooveguru

I have a Hope BB in what until last week was my only MTB – that’s about 1.5 proper rides a week on average, in all weathers, plus commuting on it about half the time – coming round to 4 years old and still running fine.

quantockspaul
    Free Member

Have to say my ceramic hope bearings are better than I ever imagined. After grinding out too many HTIIs, that then seize up after every ride unless they’re stripped down and regreased and dealing with s**t chain alignment from worn bearings – ceramic is fit and forget for year after year. Worth every penny.

Scapegoat

Gusset. (Matron)

Scapegoat

Oh, and I’ve got a gunmetal Hope SS on my white Mojo. Will I die?

mikewsmith
    Free Member

z1ppy – Member
    LOL, cause the Hope one will last 10 time longer right?
    That and it take all of 5 minutes to change a HT II cup.. which is why I love em.

I’ll drop my bike round then…
    Buy new BB, Wait for delivery, Put bike in stand, get tools out, drop chain, Undo bolts, remove Crankset, remove BB Cups, Clean shell, apply some grease/anti seize fit BB, refit cranks, tension everything correctly. Add in some more if you have a BB mounted chain guide. 5 minutes is damm good going!

Hope is up to 4 years on mine and a the rate Shimano/RaceFace/Sram ones are going I reckon I’m well into profit.

duner
    Free Member

I used to use the cheapest shimano ones but after wearing them out every few months got an XTR which had been sweet for over a year now, and cheaper than hope.

Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)

The topic ‘help me justify the cost? (BB content)’ is closed to new replies.