Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Help me justify CX – three very good wife-tangible reasons…
  • Kryton57

I know I know its dull but…

I found a very good deal in the BF sales, but Mrs K says a) do I NEED one and b) I’ve no space and it is most definitely not coming indoors.

So give me a simple list justification. I’m focusing on training XC racing with the odd but TT thrown in for intervals, will I really use a CX why not use an MTB…?

Go….

a)
    b)
    c)

jam-bo

a:) cheaper than an iMac
    b:) cheaper than a RS4
    c:) can eat more pudding.

SirHC

As a compromise: Second wheelset for the mtb?

thestabiliser
    Free Member

a)I promise I won’t spend ANY mpore time on singletrack (I’ll move to Grit CX)
    b)This absolutely, categorically, indisputably the last materialistic thing I’ll ever buy in my folorn search for retail fulfilment (apart from that stupid car)
    c) I’ll let you choose the matching sunglasses

eddie11
    Free Member

IRicher
    Sexier
    And 877.3% of cyclocrossers surveyed said it visibly reduced the signs of aging

cookeaa

a)you will ride it to work saving fuel costs and Wear and tear on the car

b)more frequent exercise from cycling during winter will improve your fitness and make you a better lover…

c)your overall mood will be greatly improved due to the endorphins released when riding your shiny new bike, making you a generally nicer person to be around…

So she’ll end up marginally wealthier, with a better sex life and married to a nicer person… Similar arguments could be applied to divorce, but that’s another thread…

pistonbroke
    Free Member

A)I’m the man of the house
    B)I can do what I want.
    C)where did I put my coat?

sefton
    Free Member

dont womanise
    not alcoholic
    never been to prison
    dont spunk all $$ gambling
    dont big bloke holidays

..all the stuff you aint supposed to do really. haha

jamiep
    Free Member

1. It’s fun.
    2. It’s better than sitting in the pub
    3. and getting fat and unhealthy

jonnyboi

a) CX racing is quick, you’ll be home more
    2) you can use it for gravel racing, you’ll be away more
    iii) perfect winter commuter, you might not make it home at all.

ahwiles
    Free Member

a) cheaper than Gym membership
    b) cheaper than a cigarette addiction
    c) cheaper than sky telly subscription

all completely pointless things which ‘normal’ people seem happy to pay for…

qwerty
    Free Member

New bike or patio, it’s her call.

irc

a) I want one.
    b) I can afford one
    c) Why isn’t she buying it as your X-mass pressy.

(Mrs IRC is getting Santa to bring me a set of touring wheels and is letting me go away for 6 weeks next year)

scaredypants

1) Is it just to ride when training for xc (and so not for cx racing) ?
    2) Do you like riding your xc bike ?
    3) Do you own a road bike ?

if 3x “Yes”, she’s correct – I’d suggest you’ll train most effectively on road for fitness and most effectively on your xc bike for skillz/familiarity

ferrals
    Free Member

1) Everyone got bored of the credible road racer thread so I need to start a credible cx racer thread instead

thestabiliser
    Free Member

1) Bit I waaaaaaaannnnt it!
    2) It’s not fair!
    3) I HATE you!

deejayen
    Free Member

a) I’ll fit mudguards and go for long winter rides – I’ll be gone for hours.

b) I’ve been getting fuzzy fingers on the MTB – drop bars are supposed to help.

c) It’s not a lot of money in the grand scheme of things – why, some people spend more than that on an RS4 decoke!

sefton
    Free Member

tell her its twice as much. after a few days…’you’re right, im willing to get a cheap one’

fasthaggis

1) I will be dead soon
    2) It’s cheaper than an RS4
    3) It will make me feel a complete man

ferrals
    Free Member

3) It will make me feel a complete man

You’ve not ridden a ‘cross bike over a rocky bridleway then – the reverse is true 😆

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

1. Find yr intended gravel bike at the most expensive quote /above rrp. In fact any bike that is a third more than what you actually wish to spend on a gravel bike. She won’t know the difference.

2. Halve that quote then ask her what she would like to receive to the same value.

3. Buy an ex-demo gravel bike (the one you originally wanted) and pass the savings on towards her gift which will now be worth approx half of your original quote.

I think.

Kryton57

Malvern Rider – Member
    Ask her what she wants to the same value.

I just bought her an iMac at twice the cost of my soon to be CX bike.

I’ve made a decision on the basis it’ll do the same as my winter Defy – Road & turbo – as it has guard mounts, with the added option for CX. Those were my 3 reasons.

M/L Alu Defy 105 for sale…

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

I just bought her an iMac at twice the cost of my soon to be CX bike.

Then surely you can not only afford a (carbon) MTFU CX dream bike – but you need ask no-one? 😉

ferrals
    Free Member

what did you get?

and of course you wont sell the defy, you’ll have a dedicated turbo bike

mrblobby
    Free Member

A CX race is bike is not a winter road or turbo bike!

Kryton57

It is with an Open pro/power tap wheel and 11/25 on the back 🙂

It’s not a dedicated race bike. It’s a race geo CX bike with guard mounts. I’m not of the mid to race CX for anything more than when’s there not an MTB race to stay sharp, or for our Club CX runs, both good training.

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘Help me justify CX – three very good wife-tangible reasons…’ is closed to new replies.