Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Help me identify this 90s Klein, and what's it worth?
  • krixmeister

Cleaning out my parent’s shed, looking to sell on my Dad’s early/mid 1990s Klein. He stripped the decals off of it when he got it, but other than the hideous seat and stem, and the v-brakes (which were added later) it’s pretty much as original.

Trying to figure out which Klein frame it is – I think it may be a Pinnacle, but not sure. Square chainstays (square along whole profile), pressed-in BB and usual Klein internal cable routing. Any ideas on which model this is? Any ideas on what it might get on eBay? Any ideas on a better forum than eBay for selling it?

dawson

I’d suggest Retrobike may be best place to start

ninfan
    Free Member

Pinnacle? 89/90 by groupset I think

raisinhat
    Free Member

Retro bike has the full klein catalogues archived, so that would be the place to look. Agree with those saying pinnacle though.

Sundayjumper

Agreed on Pinnacle.

Hard to tell from the pic but the rear mech looks like M732, which was 1989. The parallelogram bit changed from being black to very dark gunmetal metallic in 1990.

(I have a green Pinnacle waiting to be built up)

Sundayjumper

Oh, and if it originally had the Klein 1-piece bar/stem you’ll want to find it again, they’re quite valuable ! Please don’t say he threw it away…

Tallpaul

There’s a nice classic bike under some of the modifications. If the fork is an original Spinner (should be stamped on the dropouts) and you’ve got an MC1 (Klein bar/stem combo, but not 100% sure if these were spec’d with them), then the ‘fuselage’ i.e. frame/fork/bar/stem combo is probably worth £300 or so? It looks like some of the components are original too, if these are in good condition you might be able to add another £100 from those.

I guess if you could get it back to near original spec and it cleans up well with no serious damage anywhere then it could sell for £500?? That feels very optimistic though.

You’d need much better photos than these and be willing to ship to Europe to get top dollar. As mentioned, get some better pics and get over to Retrobike.

krixmeister

Thanks for all the tips. I don’t think it ever came with the one piece bar/stem (how I lusted after those in the day!), but in any case there isn’t one laying around the shed.

pahoehoe
    Free Member

Get over to retrobike – very friendly forum, a little bit geeky, but you will get more information than you every thought possible from there.

otsdr
    Free Member

then the ‘fuselage’ i.e. frame/fork/bar/stem combo is probably worth £300 or so?

Surely the cockpit isn’t part of the fuselage…

amedias
    Free Member

not as much as you might think…

Sadly it’s sitting slap bang in the middle of the “It’s a Klein, but not really a sought after one” trench, which means it’s only really interesting to people who really want a retro Klein, but don’t have the money for 90s Adroits and Attitudes. It’s also missing the interesting paint jobs of the later and higher models which like or not do add to the value.

A plain coloured not-Adroit/Attitude isn;t that sought after, and it’s also not go the practicalities or tyre clearances of a Pulse or post-Trek models.

I’ve got a 1984 Mountain Klein nocking about with mostly original Shimano and Suntour kit on it, so from even further back, rarer (especially in the UK) and I doubt it’d get more than £300 complete.

Having said that it appears to be a decent, well kept example with a lot of nicer old bits on it, if the seatclamp area is crack free, the chainstay not chewed from chainsuck and the paintjob polishes up nicely it’ll be a great retro-rider for someone 😀

amedias
    Free Member

BTW, I don’t think it’s a Pinnacle as I can’t recall the Pinnacle ever having fully square chainstays(?), It’s very reminiscent of the early Mountain Kleins, but the cable routing looks a bit later, the dropouts are very 8)’s MK/90’s Pinnacle (Rascals were always rear facing dropouts as I remember), so being that it has many MK features and canti rather than U-brakes I’m thinking it maybe one of the last of the Mountain Kleins?

A trawl through the catalogues might help but I’d say late 80s/early 90s, I wouldn’t bother looking past about 90/91 as the serials changed format there abouts, and really not after 92 as serials were on the BB from then onwards I think 🙂

krixmeister

Hi all – again, huge thanks for all the input. FWIW – here’s a couple more photos. Definitely Spinner forks, and here’s the serial number if that’s of any use.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Help me identify this 90s Klein, and what's it worth?’ is closed to new replies.