Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Help me identify these cranks please.
  • NorthCountryBoy
    Free Member

Hi trying to build a decent budget bike for my lad and want to use a suitable length crank set.
    On the isla bike pictured there using 152mm cranks with a single 28 tooth ring mounted without a spider. Im thinking its possibly a BMX set up but i dont know anything about BMX cranks. Anyone recognize it?

Rorschach
    Free Member

middleburn uno
    Edit…nope.

scaredypants

no idea

have you tried googling “152mm crank” ?

how about this ?

nwill1
    Free Member

I think the smaller bikes have components specifically designed by Isla bike (just brought a 16″ for my daughter) to fit, it may well be that the crank is specifically designed by and produced for Isla bike!?

NorthCountryBoy
    Free Member

Hi scaredy i saw the on at EBC and its well priced but wanted to go for the single ring for low weight and simplicity. The one in the picture looks like the chain rings are riveted on so not easy to get a 28 tooth ring on.

Nwill. He has have a 24″ isla now. I think hey just hand pick parts that are most suitable for kids sizing, I doubt they have had cranks forged to their specifications.

orangeboy
    Free Member

152 is faily common on kids/ small wheel bikes but who’s that is not a clue
    Why do you want to know

iain1775
    Free Member

Only listed as Islabikes 152 – http://www.islabikes.co.uk/bike_pages/pdfs/product_specs/Creig26.pdf

In past on other models Islabikes have used Prowheel cranks
    http://pro-wheel.com/main/portfolio_entries/08single/

BearBack
    Free Member

Isla bike say its their own crank.. I’ve not found a shorter crank that will take anything less than 36t yet.. I was going to see if I coudl buy one direct from Islabkes, but 152mm is still too long for what I’m looking for. At 152, you could shorten a 40 quid SRAM S600 – http://bikesmithdesign.com/Short_Cranks/s600.html

NorthCountryBoy
    Free Member

WAnt to buy a similar set up for bike for my lad

NorthCountryBoy
    Free Member

Bear back I have started to shorten a set of 170mm cranks that I had laying around. Drilled and taped to 152mm but still need to buy a BB and chain ring. Just thought it might be cheaper to buy what I need new and save messing about.

boxelder

Try Pro wheel, as above

Leku
    Free Member

Give Isla a call / email. Just had some 140mm cranks turn up this morning from them. £25. I may have given the impression they were for an Islabike but do have two of them in the shed anyway..

BearBack
    Free Member

Leku, 140mm cranks as per the Benin with that massive chain ring or something like the chainset above that will let you get a smaller ring?

Leku
    Free Member

it’s 32 tooth chainring but not removable.

This was the cheapest 104 chainset I could find..

NorthCountryBoy
    Free Member

Cheers for the info, called isla and managed to get them to sell me a 152mm crank set with 28 tooth ring complete same as used on bike in OP. 🙂

BearBack
    Free Member

Any idea on the weight of the isla bike cranks NCB?
    Are they solid arms? i.e shortenable?

NorthCountryBoy
    Free Member

Hi they arrived today, so pretty fast delivery. The crank arms look like there forged from a standard blank so yes they could be shortened a bit maybe 10 or 15mm max. The chain ring is alloy but broached onto the crank arm so not easily changed. I will put them on the scales tomorrow.
    They are square taper by the way.

tymbian
    Free Member

Bmx race cranks is what your after..i think ther start at 135mm

Try the classifieds on Bmxtalk.

BearBack
    Free Member

closest thing is Sinz mini cranks, but 5×110 limits front ring to 34T minimum.
    Spline drive 3 pice cranks will be heavy though in comparison i think and BB would be an issue as far as I can tell..

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Help me identify these cranks please.’ is closed to new replies.