Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Help me ID these Hope hubs
  • podman
    Free Member

I bought a bike off of ebay last week, which was sold as coming with Pro 2 hubs. It arrived yesterday, and the hubs clearly aren't pro2's' I'm trying to work out what they are, so that I can come to a resolution with the seller (who seemed to genuinely think that they were pro 2's).

I've got a bulb on the front of my old bike, and an XC on the rear, and these hubs don't seem to match up to either of them. The rear has 3 pawls like my XC, but disc mount is different (to mine at least).

There's nothing written/ etched onto the hubs themselves, only the faded stickers, which don't look like they're original anyway.

Pictures:

Cheers

Danny

singlespeedstu

They look like early XC's to me.

clubber
    Free Member

Hope XC as above – the first Hope 6 bolt ones. Pretty old now – probably 2000ish. IIRC Monos have shorter disc holes which aren't solid right to the flange.

Decent hubs but worth a lot less than Pro2s

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    Blazin-saddles
    Free Member

Hope XC's or Sport depending on wether they have a ti or steel freehub. a little heavier than Pro2s but still good hubs none the less, bearings will probably last longer than pro2s actually. I wouldn't have said there was a cost difference. you can't change the front caps to take 20mm if that was the intention.

MisterT

don't agree about them being as good as Pro2's – the big difference is in the freehub mechanism. the old ones are good but not great.

taxi25
    Free Member

I'd try and negotiate a bit of cash back.The bike was clearly not as described.

podman
    Free Member

Thanks for the quick replies!

Indeed the intention was to convert to 20mm on the front and bolt-up on the rear, which as far as I know isn't possible on these hubs.

I think the freehub body is steel, I can't check now, but when I had the gear and spacers off (the freehub had fallen off of the hub on the way here), I didn't notice much indentation.

I've got an XC on the back of my Patriot, it's a great hub! I wouldn't have been annoyed had I not paid extra specifically to get the pro 2's, and wanted the conversion options!

Hopefully can come to an acceptable resolution with the seller, apart from the hubs the bike's in pretty good condition, but for every single bolt being hugely over-torqued!

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Help me ID these Hope hubs’ is closed to new replies.