Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Help me get the right tyres for my lwb van / camper conversion
  • alexxx
    Free Member

It doesnt appear to be as simple as just getting a direct replacement to whats on there after a bit of reading up.

The back has a lot of weight in it and nearly all of the weight is on the rear axles (motorbike in the van and pushbikes).

I found this page that said I should go a size up. so Instead of 215 / 70 / 15s go for 225 / 70 / 15s
    http://www.motorcaravanning.com/vehicles/tyres.htm

Will that work for the wheel size I have – is there anything I’d need to consider when doing this?

And whilst I’m at it, should I just get the same size for the fronts too or stick with 215?

After a lot of reading getting none camping tyres and “HANKOOK VANTRA LT RA18” seem to be the ones to get.

Thanks!

madhouse

Is it not load weight you should be looking at?

Eg a tyre has the following markings 205(width)/55(profile) R16(rim size) 91(load rating per axle – in this case 615kg)V(speed rating).

alexxx
    Free Member

Yep but you only get a 110 load rating in the larger width tyre which is why I guess they went 225.

“1900Kg rear axle should have 110 rated tyres under the 90% rule. We fitted slightly larger replacement tyres to our motorhome to achieve this safety margin – 225 section in place of the specified 215s.”

trail_rat
    Free Member

first up have you been over a weigh bridge with that much weight in the back and a conversion ?

– maybe i already asked that previous

as for your tires – theres only 0.6″ difference over the OD there.

from having smaller wheels up front previously – the nose down angle of the van makes bumps quite jarring – i would change all 4 if you can .

Ive just upsized for load rating reasons on my van – cant get All terrains in 65 profile so went up to 75. Im crossing all my digits and hoping they go on and dont catch get fitted tomorrow. ….. other folk have done it – spooky on here has used this size on his iveco…..

alexxx
    Free Member

Yeah I did get weighed at 3.2 tons on the way back in summer. The rear springs were on the bump stops apparently so thats another job to do before next summer.

The front suspension goes down quite fast on speed bumps too so I think I’ll up rate it all.

Fingers crossed for you! All terrains are hella noisey though – why not just go for m&s tyres with a spare set of snow chains or are you mainly using it off road?

Its so annoying looking there are 2 almost identical tyres which are £10 each different and I can’t work out why.

https://www.tyreleader.co.uk/car-tyres/hankook/vantra-lt-ra18/225-70-r15-112s-759062
    https://www.tyreleader.co.uk/car-tyres/hankook/vantra-lt-ra18/225-70-r15-112-110s-742172

One says 112s and the other says 112/110s

The 112s one is £10/tyre cheaper. I know some commercial tyres apparently show the markings separately like 112/110s but they are both under the commercial section of the site?!

Bloody mindfield

trail_rat
    Free Member

cheap all terrains are noisy.

i have bfg mud terrains on my land rover and they are quieter than the kingpins pieces of plastic crap that came with it .

so i bought bfg all terrains for the van. It had all terrains on when i bought it but only 15 inch and only on one axle…..

i fitted bigger brakes as the ones on it were shite (and notoriously so) which meant i had to fit bigger wheels which have van tires on and its dangerous in current weather – and barely gets off my drive where it has to cross some grass…. forestry carparks are not its friend if theres an incline just a combination of weight , length and RWD

I also didn’t want to buy more chains – the chains off my landy fit the tires ive just bought for the iveco. and if i decide i dont like them on the van the tires will port over to the spare land rover wheels nicely 😀

buggered if i know the difference but look at the wet/eco/noise rating – the cheaper one fares better in all three. …. wierd.

alanf
    Free Member

Is the split rating something to do with twin rear wheels?
    I’m sure I have heard that somewhere but could be wrong.

trail_rat
    Free Member

alan is bang on the money

Load index is a numerical code which shows the maximum load a single tyre can carry at the speed shown by it Speed Rating Symbol.
    There is often an optional reference which shows the load a twinned pair of tyres can carry at the speed shown by it Speed Rating Symbol.

so id reckon if you stuck 112 on a 110 twin wheel rated tire the two tires would rub with the deformation and wear the inner sidewalls out.

alexxx
    Free Member

Spot on then – I’ll get the cheaper ones since I don’t have any twin axle fanciness.

All terrains would be tempting for similar reasons (could go on the landy if no good) but shelling out £500 on new wheels and tyres isnt happening this month so I’ll see how these cheapies go

wwpaddler
    Free Member

Your cheap tyres are good at the wet/eco/noise rating because all those EU mandated tests are done at 20-25°C. Tyres that are good at snow, mud, cold conditions won’t be good at 20-25°C and tyres that are good in the 20-25°C test won’t be good in cold, snow and mud.

trail_rat
    Free Member

the bfgs are on ….. theres no discernable noise issue.

MPG we will find out tomorrow//sunday on the way to and from puffer.

effectiveness should be tested then too .

alexxx
    Free Member

Any feedback Terry? Hope you had a good puffer weekend!

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Help me get the right tyres for my lwb van / camper conversion’ is closed to new replies.