Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Help me get riding!
  • bomberman
    Free Member

Hi boys and girls,

Bomberman here, AKA Oneyedwilly. You may remember me from the “owning a burglar with bombers” post back in the day before STW got hacked. I think that was around 2007… 😯

It’s been a while since i posted up here, i’ve got myself a great job which i love doing but it involves a lot of driving to various places all over the UK which inevitably means a lot of overnight stays, so basically my job takes over a large proportion of my life.

As a result i’ve found it hard to find time to get out on the bike. I did live in Sheffield for a while which was great because i could explore the awesome Peak District from my doortstep and i had a communal garage with a hose so i could clean the bike down after and there was somewhere to store it. so although my fitness wasn’t getting better i was at least able to get out every other week.

Now though, i’ve moved to Ripponden. Calderdale is where i grew up and the trails round here are fantastic but the property i’m renting isn’t bike – friendly. First off it’s an over-dwelling so access to the only door (it’s a back to back) is via a narrow balcony-style walkway. secondly there’s nowhere in the house to put a bike. I have four floors with a downstairs kitchen and all the stairways are quite narrow so getting a bike up and down is a pain. I would have to leave the bike in the lounge which isn’t really practical. The other problem is that i have nowhere to wash the bike. I can’t wash it on the balcony because there’s a house underneath me so it’s have to be done on the street behind somehow.

Has anyone got any suggestions? Washing and storing the bike are my main issues. how am i gonna wash this thing, and when it’s clean where do i put it?!

<prepares for flaming>

ton

asguard bike shed outside somewhere? bolted to the floor.

RobHilton
    Free Member

Singlespeed = less need to clean, keep it in your car?

johnj2000
    Free Member

One of those portable jet wash things and remove wheels then hide in car boot?

midlifecrashes

You wash it with the jetwash at a garage on the way home from a ride, choose one about two miles from home and it’ll be nearly dry when you get to your door. Just don’t aim it right at the bearings from close up.

bomberman
    Free Member

That’s quite an interesting one, there’s a garage on the road from me so could be an option. Can’t keep anything in my car though as it gets filled with works kit. Does anyone here use a portable jet wash? Anyone just use two buckets and clean it on the street?

devash
    Free Member

I can clean my muddy bike with two or three buckets (two hot with soapy water and a cold water rinse) just using a stiff brush, sponge, Park Tool chain cleaner and toothbrush for the hard to reach places but it depends on what kind of mud you ride through. There’s no claggy clay mud round here, only sandy stuff which generally just brushes off so nice and easy.

It sounds like your main problem is storage. I wouldn’t fancy keeping anything outside in these austere times.

bomberman
    Free Member

Yeah I don’t think keeping it outside is an option at all, besides the fact that it’d block the pathway I’m away for several days at a time during the week so chances are someone would have it away while I’m gone!

dobiejessmo
    Free Member

Sounds like you are knackered.Inless you pay someone to keep it at a LBS or a local neighbour will rent you some garage space/shed.

chakaping
    Free Member

You need a van.

ashleydwsmith
    Free Member

Can’t you fix one of those wall bike rack thingies on the wall! There’s some nice ones out there!

johnj2000
    Free Member

As above for storage wall storage linky

bomberman
    Free Member

Nice idea but $400!??

Doesn’t look very strong.

bomberman
    Free Member

My last move was based on how bike friendly the place was, this move was based on how cheap the place is, I guess this is the compromise.

F*** it, bike will have to live in the lounge.

Anyone recommend a portable jet wash?

rickt
    Free Member

I would suggest you wash it at the petrol station just outside SB or even that little one between triangle and ripp? ( you could even ask if they have any storage?)

Or get 3 large garden thick bin liners… Wheels off .. Bagged and bag over frame.

Don’t forget blazing saddles in hebden has a bike wash too.

bomberman
    Free Member

Thanks man. I’m going to check that garage out next time I fill up

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Help me get riding!’ is closed to new replies.