Viewing 4 posts - 81 through 84 (of 84 total)
  • Help me get rid of my CD's. Digitizing help please…
  • sadexpunk

gravity slave, followed all that, even updated chrome again first but the same things happening. i clicked to open the play music extension, clicked the 3 lines, upload music, ‘select music from computer’, but when i select a folder its greyed out. for example it will be all greyed out and unable to select all the way through ‘music/mp3s/the fall/peel sessions 1984/’ but then when i actually select a track it will come live and allow me to click it and i presume, then upload that track.
    this is no good to me tho as i want to upload 300Gb worth of music, i cant be uploading just the tracks, i want the folder structure intact so the albums stay together.

thanks

ghostlymachine
    Free Member

Might be like the plex “issues” i had.

You’ve got too much file structure.

If it was just “peel sessions 1984” as the folder then the album it’ll work. Google play music should then use the metadata to organise it all. (Artist etc)

I gave up trying to maintain my file structure (which wasn’t amazingly valuable, just a way to store it on the PC), then updated all the metadata and let plex do it for me.

Do you have the metadata on each file?

ghostlymachine
    Free Member

If you use something like media monkey you can apparently just put in all your music files, no file structure needed. It then sorts it all out for you.

Haven’t tried this though, bit too high risk 😉

sadexpunk

You’ve got too much file structure.

If it was just “peel sessions 1984” as the folder then the album it’ll work. Google play music should then use the metadata to organise it all. (Artist etc)
    cant be that tho, cos i went down thefile structure and just chose 1 album, with songs inside, and still wouldnt select that either. just would not allow anything other than ‘a file’.

just tried the windows alternative on my sh1tty ‘about to die’ laptop and installed music manager. plugged in the HD, opened MM up, it asked me what i wanted to do, ‘upload’, pointed it at the HD and its now working! one nil to windows over google 🙂
    not sure how its gonna pan out tho as it said theres 5000 songs or so to upload, i dont know how theyre gonna manifest themselves, hopefully in folders/albums 😀

another potential hiccup too is that it said its gonna check the google servers for songs the same and use those instead to save space/time?
    thats hopefully gonna be ok for playback purposes, but i still wont have ‘all my music somewhere safe’ as a back up.

Do you have the metadata on each file?

not sure. used windows media player for the mp3s, inputting some ‘not recognised’ myself. these are bootleg type cds bought at gigs or old ‘various punk’ type cds.
    used eac for flac and same again. eac didnt recognise as many as WMP so again inputted some myself. im guessing anything done myself wont be metadata’d.

used something called ‘freemake video converter’ to convert dvds to m4. not sure these’ll upload to google play which i dont really expect, so this is why i still need some option to save the whole shaboodle somewhere else (google drive?)

thanks

Viewing 4 posts - 81 through 84 (of 84 total)

The topic ‘Help me get rid of my CD's. Digitizing help please…’ is closed to new replies.