Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Help me get daughter's iTouch online – please!
  • MrSparkle

Ok, no.2 daughter has got an iTouch for Christmas and we just can't get the darn thing to go online.
    So, we go on Settings for Wifi and click on our home network. It asks for the password – we have tried the WEP key and the password we use for most interned related stuff. It then comes up with 'unable to join network'.
    WTF? Any ideas, anybody?

GrahamS

Assuming you definitely have the WEP password correct then that should be all you need to do.

Is your home network maybe set to only allow certain devices? (probably called something like "Access Control" in your router settings)

allthepies
    Free Member

It's the hex WEP key e.g 4a3e5f10234c……

Plus ensure you've got the SSID name correct e.g. MyWireless or SKY32421 or whatever it's set to.

It's a piece of p*ss to setup BTW 8)

CountZero

What router have you got? My BT Homehub had a strange issue when I first got it in that it wouldn't link to my Mac properly, because you had to put a $ in front of the WEP key. They've changed it now so you use the serial no instead.

MrSparkle

Yes, it should be a piece of the proverbial. However, we have put the correct WEP key in and the iTouch has found the home network but it won't connect to it.

allthepies
    Free Member

Right, has your wireless router been locked down to only accept "known" MAC addresses and/or only dish out a minimal number of DHCP IP addresses ?

MrSparkle

Wondered that. How do I find out?

GrahamS

Usually means going to a certain web page, try http://192.168.0.1 or http://192.168.1.1
    then look for something like "Access Control"

clubber
    Free Member

Or "wireless security"

MrSparkle

Not having much luck so far…
    It's through the Livebox. Gone on the Wifi settings page and it gives me:
    Livebox name (SSID) :

Mode :

Channel :

Current channel: 6

Security Key :

Security :

Encryption:

Enable Easy Pairing:

Now, does Current channel mean an actual channel or is that the number of channels? If so we might have used 'em all.

keyses2

You could try pressing the pairing button on the Livebox whilst trying to connect, its what i had to do to connect my phone and psp to the network for the first time. Think its button 1 and it gives you 10mins to make a new pairing.

tomzo
    Free Member

Sounds like you need to enter the MAC address of the ipod touch onto the allowed devices/MAC addressed on the router homepage.

On the ipod, Tap Settings > General > About then scroll down to Wi-Fi Address. this is the MAC address of the ipod touch.

then go to your router homepage and look for a page called "wireless secutiry filter" or something similar. You Should see a table which should already have a few similar addresss already in!

snowslave

I'm having exactly the same problem, looking to see if tomzo's advice works….

snowslave

Fixed for me.

The answer is to make sure you key in the WEP key making sure you take care to use the correct case settings – i.e. use a capital where it's a capital on the WEP key. This never seems to have been an issue previously.

MrSparkle

Sorted finally! Thank ****. Cheers all.

Scottlacey
    Free Member

I have similar problems with the livebox, how did you do it in the end was it by pushing the pairing button??

thehustler
    Free Member

I did this yesterday on your sky modem is your sky ID and the password, the pass word is 'case sensitive' once i sussed this it was a doddle

Sandwich

Remember technology and lots of Christmas cheer don't really mix 😀

Shakey
    Free Member

Orange Liveboxs are notoriously fussy about new devices. I had a client who had one and the only way to add new devices was to switch the security off, connect the new device, switch the security back on and connect the new device again.

Alternatively just buy a Netgear router!

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Help me get daughter's iTouch online – please!’ is closed to new replies.