Viewing 18 posts - 41 through 58 (of 58 total)
  • Help me! Genesis Core 20 vs Boardman Comp vs ???
  • fr0sty125
    Free Member

Mantra has the better spec drivetrain 2×10 depression with clutch mech. Genesis has the 3×9 I would pick the one that feels the best though.

jayx2a
    Free Member

Core 30 has the 2×10, the Mantra Trial is 3×10, both have clutch mech so guess it comes down to what feels right.

Will ride them both next week and make the decision!

jayx2a
    Free Member

Now also looking at the Boardman Team. The thought of Halfords scares me, but the spec for the price is superb.

fr0sty125
    Free Member

jayx2a – Member
    Now also looking at the Boardman Team. The thought of Halfords scares me, but the spec for the price is superb.

Going to be honest I don’t see what is very good about the Boardman Spec apart from the x7 rear mech the fork is probably worse than the Suntour. Definitely not worth the sacrifice in the frame.

jayx2a
    Free Member

I like honest! It really helps me choose. If I’m being honest with myself I really should only spend £800.

The mantra trail was my first choice until reading about 2×10 and then doing google searches that mostly say 3×10 is pointless and 2×10 is better. Then reviews of the Mantra online say its such a fun ride, which I can’t agree/disagree as rode one on tarmac only.

Then that sways me to the genesis core 30 with its 2×10 and very similar spec, but I’m not sure I like it as much as the Saracen. But the Genesis has the air version of the fork which I presume is better.

In other words… I’m a bloody nightmare!

peakyblinder
    Free Member

You sure its a spring fork on the saracen? If it is it would tip me towards the Genesis. If it isn’t I’d get the Saracen. Gears, shmears – remove some later if you don’t need them.

Both look handy bikes. I got the Bizango as a 2nd bike – I’ve used little else since I bought it!

jayx2a
    Free Member

Spec or Saracen is here:

http://www.saracen.co.uk/bikes/trail/mantra-trail

And review

http://www.bikeradar.com/mtb/gear/category/bikes/mountain-bikes/hardtail/product/review-saracen-mantra-trail-14-48766/

No mention of it being air, but doesn’t say anything bad about the fork.

Genesis has Suntour Raidon Air XC-LO-R-27.5, 120mm Travel

The Genesis sways me with fork and 2×10. Everything else says Mantra!

peakyblinder
    Free Member

Look the same forks on both to me. I have the 15mm 29er version on the Bizango and they are more than decent, relatively light, adjustable for weight and the rebound adjustment does work. They are dead easy to service yourself too.

Sounds to me like you should go Mantra and then if you decide you can do without a chainring or two, just lose them later.

jayx2a
    Free Member

Bizango was my 29er of choice, but prefer the 650b but having the 15mm is nice touch.

Think you sold me on the mantra!

peakyblinder
    Free Member

Do it now – your missing riding time!

drovercycles
    Free Member

Yep, it’s the same fork on both. Not a bad fork at this level at all.

You won’t be disappointed in either of these bikes OP. If you can get a test ride on both then great, but there isn’t masses in it. We have/had both Mantras and Cores in our hire fleet and they’re a very good starting point – at the level you’re looking (£200-£250 more than our hire fleet bikes) then they’re very competent MTBs.

jayx2a
    Free Member

Thank you @drovercycles they have both at my local shop so have been on both, but going to have one final look and ride after the bank holiday!

jayx2a
    Free Member

I’m trying to decide if this colour looks nice, or horrible! I couldn’t find anyone with a bike on show to have a look at:

http://www.saracen.co.uk/bikes/trail/mantra-elite

fr0sty125
    Free Member

Is your budget going that high?

jayx2a
    Free Member

I’m considering a 1k budget… only because this will be it for a while and no upgrades for a bit so just thinking that little bit extra will make a big difference in the long run.

Was going to look at the Giant Talon 27.5 0 but not heard too many positives online about the Fox Fork

fr0sty125
    Free Member

Thing is with something like the Talon you are moving away from fun progressive geometry like the Mantra and Core and more towards traditional XC geo. At £1100 you might be able to pick up a Whyte 901…

jayx2a
    Free Member

I looked at the 901 and sadly I can’t find one for 1k and can’t go any higher. There is another whyte 650b for 1k. Can’t remember model but it was bright green!

The mantra elite may still be an option… The colour might be better in flesh!

If not I will fall back to the core 30 or trial.

fr0sty125
    Free Member

http://shop.birdmtb.com/zero/zero-7.html

Something to consider if you are near Swinley.

Viewing 18 posts - 41 through 58 (of 58 total)

The topic ‘Help me! Genesis Core 20 vs Boardman Comp vs ???’ is closed to new replies.