Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 58 total)
  • Help me! Genesis Core 20 vs Boardman Comp vs ???
  • jayx2a
    Free Member

Looking for a 650b, ironically with a budget of £650.

This is mainly used for light trails over the south downs and through the forest. No downhill jumping hardcore stuff!

My initial search has bought up the Genesis Core 20 and the Boardman Comp form Halfords (which might me a worry!).

http://www.ukbikesdepot.com/m15b185s864p15207/GENESIS_Core_20_Mountain_Bike_2015/RS_GB/51602

http://www.halfords.com/cycling/bikes/mountain-bikes/boardman-mountain-bike-comp-ht-650b-2014

I know neither has a class leading fork, components etc but I am willing to upgrade parts as and when I need too.

So opinions on the above bikes would be great along with any other £650 opinions! Thanks in advance!

tthew

I was looking at the Boardman in Halfords this afternoon, looked quite decent to me. Think the forks and gear-set is one stage better than the Genesis, albeit one is SRAM and the other Shimano.

There’s the On-One Parkwood too, but its a touch over your budget.

edit – Sorry, the Parkwood is a 29er. As you were.

fr0sty125
    Free Member

If I was going for a fun bike then it would be the Parkwood despite being a 29er and £50 more.

Why 650b?

jayx2a
    Free Member

Maybe I should sit on a 29er too. I just might be able to up the budget to £800 Max if I can sweet talk wifey!

Charge cooker 2 also comes in budget…

http://mobile.wheelies.co.uk/charge-cooker-2-2015-mountain-bike/p73965/?gclid=CO-Z9ODEzsQCFQEIwwodFWUArQ

drovercycles
    Free Member

We’re using Genesis Core 10s in the hire fleet this year and have been very impressed. Quality of finish is very high and they look/feel like a nicer bike than the price-tag suggests.

At this level any fork is going to be somewhat lacking, but it’s an easy upgrade down the line.

If you can up the budget to £800 the Core 30 has a better fork and Deore 10-speed with clutch mech. Or have a look at the Saracen Mantra Trail for the same money.

johnnystorm

British cycling membership gets you 10% off in Halfords so if you go that way that’ll help. I’d be stretching the budget and getting a Parkwood though. 😉

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Test ride.
    Then decide.

fr0sty125
    Free Member

What bikes have you ridden and what did you not like or did like about them?

What size were they and how big are you.

Cube would be a good option good kit and lots of stockist so you could get a feel of what is good.

wiggles
    Free Member

Cube attention SL for £700 http://www.leisurelakesbikes.com/p/17523/cube-attention-sl-650b-hardtail-mountain-bike-2015

£50 more than the genesis but half a kilo lighter and better bits

jayx2a
    Free Member

I have a Calibre Two Two, but its all a bit cramped and I bought in to it blind without trying it out. Not ridden for many years so this was my first mistake!

I’m looking for a fun bike that can be sourced and tried locally. The Boardman and genesis both can but so can the Mantra Trial that was mentioned earlier so might go have a look at that after work.

The other shop local to me does Cube so will pop in there too.

Thanks for the input.

jayx2a
    Free Member

Ok, so looking in some 29ers, the Diamondback Apex which can be had for £500 online:

http://www.bikes2udirect.com/B6107.html?mv_pc=gp1&gclid=CIK01u7lz8QCFUbKtAodWTQA7g

Seems pretty solid set up for the money and I have found a shop within a decent distance to go have a look at one.

tthew

Don’t go and test one at an LBS then buy on-line. That’s a low trick.

amack23
    Free Member

That diamondbacks well specced for the price, has a coil fork though. The boardman team 650b can be had for £560 at Halfords using B15BK08 for 10% off, another 10% for British cycling members and then pay in vouchers saving a further 10%. The voodoo bizango works out at £440 if you fancy a 29er

jayx2a
    Free Member

Ah cheers for that, very helpful. Will go look at the options over the weekend (but not test ride unless I intend to buy, if thats the case).

fr0sty125
    Free Member

Ok if you want a fun bike then the Saracen Kili 29er or the Saracen Mantra 650b would be good options. The Genesis Core would be good a option as well you wont get as much spec as a cube but the frames will be better for what you want.

The 650b will be more chuckable the 29ers will maintain speed and lines better IMO.

I guess you are no where near Sheffield to go and try a Parkwood?

jayx2a
    Free Member

Bloody miles and miless away!!

I might go look at the Mantra after work as the guys who service my bike are Saracen dealer and think they have the pro in stock so can see what its like for size and get the Trail if its the right bike.

I like the look of the Kili, but the pro seems to have a worse fork than the Mantra.

Lastly, the Genesis, and although the spec is not great, I have been hearing good things about the frames.

amack23
    Free Member

If you’re upping your budget to £800 I’d have this over the parkwood. Covers your criteria and then some.

http://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/CBOO456CEVOX5/on-one-456-evo-carbon-sram-x5-mountain-bike

drovercycles
    Free Member

If you’re upping your budget to £800 I’d have this over the parkwood. Covers your criteria and then some.

I’m looking for a fun bike that can be sourced and tried locally.

jayx2a
    Free Member

Yeah really dont want to make that mistake again! Was looking at Giant (thre is a small giant store like 20 miles away), but seems only one really in my range is the 2015 Talon 2 27.5 but struggling to find any sort of reviews on it.

fr0sty125
    Free Member

The spec may not be the best with Saracen’s or the Core but the frames will be more enjoyable.

Bother Saracen’s seem to have same specs.

iainc

spec wise the Cube Acid 27.5 is spot on and within budget. Also looks like you have a nearby dealer so can test ride.

I bought my son one at Christmas – Deore groupset and a decent air fork, quite light also.

jayx2a
    Free Member

The thing I like about the Core is that it will leave me cash to spend on some extras (New shoes, clothes etc) and the frame is the same as the top spec model.

I think after reading through posts, reviews etc I will go check out the Mantra Pro (or the Trial – wife dependant lol) and the Core 20 with the view to upgrading the forks at some point.

As mentioned, it’s not for anything super heavy right now so either should fit the bill.

tenacious_doug
    Free Member

That diamondbacks well specced for the price, has a coil fork though. The boardman team 650b can be had for £560 at Halfords using B15BK08 for 10% off, another 10% for British cycling members and then pay in vouchers saving a further 10%. The voodoo bizango works out at £440 if you fancy a 29er

Voodoo is very tempting as a second bike at that price. What do you mean by discount for paying with vouchers?

drovercycles
    Free Member

I think after reading through posts, reviews etc I will go check out the Mantra Pro

Just to throw a wilcard into the mix OP, if you’re looking at 19″ bikes we have a few of our 2014 ex-hire Mantra Pros left. We could supply and fit a new, higher-spec fork, and some of them have brand new wheelsets – and you’d still be within budget.

BBs, headsets, chains, cassettes etc all replaced as they wear so other than a bit of wear and tear to the frame (and there’s not much) they’re in good nick. Mail in profile if interested!

tenacious_doug
    Free Member

What price you doing them for Drover?

amack23
    Free Member
    tenacious_doug
    Free Member

Cheers, long winded but good deals, surprised they’ve not closed the loophole. Probably too late to do this and get the current 10% off all bikes though as that closes tomorrow

Any idea if Halfords will apply these codes on bike to work purchases?

amack23
    Free Member

It’s possible, it’ll depend on the staff. I asked at one store and guy said not possible. Ordered everything up at another store online using 10% code. Went to collect and used British cycling discount when I handed over my loc, no problem.

jayx2a
    Free Member

So just popped in to my local shop on route home and they stock both Saracen and Genesis.

The Core 20 was ok but didn’t really sell itself even when on board.

They had the standard Mantra in 17″ and it felt really good. Was expecting it to feel small but the cockpit was rather roomy for a medium.

I think I’m going to go for the Trail but going to look at a cube first.

jayx2a
    Free Member

I’m going to try the 19″ in the Mantra too, just to make sure I’m getting the right size.

drovercycles
    Free Member

What price you doing them for Drover?

£395 inc delivery, most of the remaining ones have a brand new set of wheels & tyres fitted too (from this year’s fleet of Core 10s, funnily enough).

Could sort out a keen price on a fork upgrade too, if required.

jayx2a
    Free Member

That’s a pretty decent price! I think the 19″ might be too big for me. Will try one out and see.

jayx2a
    Free Member

I think I need to sit on the 19″ as most size guides point in that direction for someone of my height (5ft 11, inside leg 32″)

fr0sty125
    Free Member

You probably need to try both for size probably the core looks like it has a decent reach and stack on them you are probably closer to the 19 than the 17.5. Though they come with quite a long stem 70mm if when you try it feels slightly stretched you could drop down to a 50mm or 40mm stem which would probably be better anyway short stem and wide bars are great for handling.

jayx2a
    Free Member

Yeah, will go try both. The Mantra has a longer top tube length, but cant find the stem length.

fr0sty125
    Free Member

jayx2a – Member
    Yeah, will go try both. The Mantra has a longer top tube length, but cant find the stem length.

I wouldn’t worry about top tube length, I firmly believe Reach and Stack are more important as they are the ones relevant to when you are standing on the pedals not seated.

17.5 inch core has a reach of 422
    19 inch core has a reach of 447

17 inch mantra has a reach of 419
    19 inch mantra has a reach of 442

Reach is calculated excluding stem length by the way,

jayx2a
    Free Member

Ahh thanks. Not a huge deal in it bwtween the Core and Mantra, so will go try them all!

jayx2a
    Free Member

I’m trying to find out the reach of my Calibre Two Two, but can’t find the stats anywhere!

fr0sty125
    Free Member

The biggest difference between the Mantra and the Core Is the BB drop the Core Is 40mm compared to the Mantra 30mm. In my opinion that will make the Core a bit more planted and fun but you will have to consider rock strikes a bit more.

jayx2a
    Free Member

Quick rides on Cube and Trek today have confirmed that the choice is either Core 30 or Mantra Trail.

Both very similar in spec bar the 2×10 vs 3×10 set up.

This is going to be a tough one! Going to give both a go again and make the decision.

Shop can order a new one in for me whatever I choose so crunch time. I know £800 is not the biggest amount of cash on a bike, but I need to get this right!

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 58 total)

The topic ‘Help me! Genesis Core 20 vs Boardman Comp vs ???’ is closed to new replies.