Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 43 total)
  • Help me gain weight!
  • perthmtb
    Free Member

Yes I know, not a common problem, but since I started regular MTBing six months ago I’ve lost so much weight that friends who haven’t seen me for a while get that concerned look on their faces, and ask if I’m sick. I’ve also had to buy a few belts to keep my trousers up.

And, I’m about to step the training up another notch in preparation for a four day MTB event in October. I’m sure I could eat more, but I want to eat the right stuff to build up muscle and stamina. So – what kind of foods should I load up on to keep up body weight while training hard?

stevewhyte
    Free Member

Pi55 off.

😀

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

marzipan is good for gaining weight.

wwaswas

Most people find a ‘natural’ weight if they’re riding regularly.

your best bet is to monitor body fat percentage – anything less than 5 then be worried. Mine seems to vary between 8 and 10 most of the time.

If you continue to lose weight then a medical appointment to rule out any other causes might be appropriate.

z1ppy

the box of cadburys fingers toffee crunch I’ve just demolished would probably help you…

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

You’ll just bottom out at a certain weight and remain like that if you’re riding alot. You’ll probably be able to eat and drink whatever you like and you’ll remain at that weight. I guess if you want to build muscle, then cycling wont help. You probably want to be in the gym lifting weights and eating protein!

Jeffus
    Free Member

depends if you where 150Kg before and now down to 80Kg what is your be for and after weight and how tall and what build .

perthmtb
    Free Member

Ok, predictable responses 😀

wwaswas – I did get worried that I really was sick, so went to the doctor and got all the usual tests (don’t want to repeat that prostate one in a hurry 😯 ) but have been pronounced fit!

Guess I’ve just been overweight since I discovered beer at the age of eighteen, and now I’m returning to my natural physique of a stick insect.

Don’t really want to waste all the exercise I’m doing tho’, so would like to lay on a bit of muscle to see me through the flabbly years – so, thanks, but I think marzipan and toffee crunch would just give me a short term sugar high – I’m looking for something that’ll give me longer term muscle development…

wwaswas

something that’ll give me longer term muscle development

weight training not riding then…

perthmtb
    Free Member

Hi Jeffus – 6’4″, was 105kg, but got down to 88kg.

Disappointed to hear cycling won’t help me develop that six pack – are all cyclists scawny stick insects then 🙁

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Disappointed to hear cycling won’t help me develop that six pack

You’re obviously not thin enough then!

t_i_m
    Free Member

just keep eating larger portions of your normal diet. Always have a desert, whether you want one or not (can be fruit). Then have a protein shake to keep you topped up shortly after the meal.

If you’re doing more weights, up the protein.
    If you’re doing more cardio, up the calories (but dont eat too much rubbish).

The big meal, desert then shake should have the effect of making you feel a little too full for a couple of weeks and make you stomach bigger, which will increase you appetite. The key is to eat until you’ve had enough, then eat some more.

The other option is to snack a lot. Again, avoid too much rubbish.

It can be bizarrely hard to put wieght on but he above worked for me. Although someone will prob come along to tell me that this is an irresponsible way of doing it.

lynchmob
    Free Member

buy a tub of protein & mix with a pint of milk. that will help build your muscle up so you dont look like 1 of these scrawny xc wippets that like goin up hills

Jeffus
    Free Member

perthmtb I’m 5′ 9″ and 88Kg so your doing fine 😀 I used to do judo and trained virtually every day for 20 years my weight stayed at 79Kg , I ate approx 4000 cals a day , then when I stopped training I went up to 102Kg , then i started riding and I’m at 88-87 Kg but still fat round my middle.
    Six pack will come just eat sensible and ride , I’m 50 years young so that’s my excuse for no more 6 pack more a keg 😀 but I’m aiming for 80Kg by next summer, changing my job and more free time will come.
    Cross training is the key, weights , circuits , swimming and biking and don’t forget the rest days to repair yourself, and light days to keep your mind happy. Food is a good point get your self to a gym and they should be able to give you a plan to follow based on your goals and changing levels of fitness, I’m no expert so would not begin to tell you about nutrition , cheers main thing enjoy your life 😀

Rusty-Shackleford
    Free Member

Weight Gain 4000

Follow your dreams

bjj.andy.w
    Free Member

“good fats”As in oily fish, nuts, avocado, eggs ect are a good way of getting more calories into you. Carbs and protein have four calories per gram of food. Fat has nine calories.

njee20
    Free Member

Muscle mass will make climbing harder, you’re carrying dead weight.

Do weight training if you want to bulk up, but don’t think it’ll help your cycling. If you want to be a good cyclist then do lots of riding, your body will adapt to suit that activity.

BoardinBob

I give a strong personal recommendation for Leffe, Doritos & Kettle Chips 😳

miketually
    Free Member

If you want to be a good cyclist then do lots of riding, your body will adapt to suit that activity.

As Jo Burt once said (wrote), if I needed muscles like a scaffolder, I’d have them.

I thought I was skinny at 5’11” and 75 kg but since knocking the chocolate at work on the head and cutting back on beer I’m hovering around 70kg. That’s without riding too much either, and I’m planning on starting running over the winter so there may not be much of me left by Christmas.

cakefacesmallblock

I’ve gone from riding occasionally, say once a month 10 /15 mile rides, but surfing and windsurfing every other weekend, to riding regularly for the last 9 months at least twice weekly for 15 / 20 miles offroad each session.
    When I got back on the bike regularly I was 74kgs. I’m still bang on 74kgs, my carb and protein intake has hugely increased,at the same time I think about fat and eat a bit less, although still enjoying a few beers once a week, I’ve lost all my puppy fat ( I’m 51 yrs old) and have lost 2″ off my waist and can get into 30″ trousers again.

Jeffus
    Free Member

[30″ trousers again.] 😀 in my dreams my legs are 26″ each , sighs 😥

Milkie
    Free Member

I’ve managed to put on weight, infact I’ve found cycling helped me increase my weight. I was a weight weenie, unhealthy 49 kilo’s (5’8″) now 63 kilos, that’s 30% weight increase, which took about a year. I found eating little n often helped me put the weight on, that and cycling gave me a big appetite, on average eating between 3000-4000 calories a day.

If you want to get toned, then I suggest the Insanity Workout, again you’ll be eating like a horse, I found I needed to remind myself to eat, otherwise I lost weight.

I found it was more about a lifestyle change, increased my cycling and sports, increased the frequency of eating (currently have breakfast possibly another at 10ish, lunch, another lunch at 3, tea at 6 then cereal around 10ish).

Tried Weight Gain, which works, until you stop using it! A good substitute is Milk, I drink lots!

Basically one thing is not going to change your weight, comibination of all these and you’ll be on your way. Also don’t weigh yourself all the time, I found as soon as I stopped caring about how much I’ve put on, the weight sorta flew on, until I hit my current weight.

Shandy
    Free Member

MyProtein Total Protein in milk every morning at breakfast, and Total Protein or Recovery XS after riding. That should see you hold more muscle, even if cycling is your only training. If your body doesn’t hold muscle well, then you need protein to try and build/hold muscle. Unless you are literally starving yourself carbs will only add fat.

ac282

Why worry. When old friends come up to me and say I look thin I take it as a sign that I am getting into form.

phil.w
    Free Member

MyProtein Total Protein in milk every morning at breakfast, and Total Protein or Recovery XS after riding. That should see you hold more muscle, even if cycling is your only training.

You’d need to be spending a hell of a lot of time on the bike to need all that!

SteveBbrain
    Free Member

I always know I’m getting fit when everyone tells me how poorly I look 😯

ourmaninthenorth

I’ve got some spare. Give me your address and I’ll do a Merchant* and send you some.

*of Venice. Not Bank. Filthy bast—s.

pistonbroke
    Free Member

You can’t be skinny enough IMO PERHAPS NOT 😕

racefaceec90

i recommend this for your 5 a day 😉

porter_jamie

i can sell you my diet for 300 pounds.

Houns

Hardly ride at all (and when you do ride it’s to a pub or two), develop a taste for beer (that you’ve always hated), eat cake and more cake.

You’ll soon put on 2 stone (mainly around your waist) and your body fat will go from 12% to approx 28% 🙁

Shandy
    Free Member

You’d need to be spending a hell of a lot of time on the bike to need all that!

That very much depends what you mean by “need”. If you’re naturally predisposed to dropping both fat and muscle the easiest way to continue dropping fat and hold onto some muscle is to eat a lot of protein. Its only advisable if you are like the OP and naturally pre-disposed to shedding large amounts of body-weight through training.

ctrl
    Free Member

You need to aim for 6-7 meals a day. They don’t have to be big meals.

Eat less (in portion size) but mroe often.

I have similar problem to OP. Can’t seem to put weight on.

Should maybe think about going to the gym. You won’t need cardio there (as you ride a bike) but hit the weights. Up your protien and calories. You need to be eating more calories than you burn.

Pasta, Tuna, Brown rice, Chicken, Chicken & more Chicken, Red meats, and I don’t know how this will sit with you but vegetables; Broccoli, carrots etc.

Drink plenty of water. Look in to ‘macros’ for weight gain online.

geoffj

I can recommend the 32oz steak in Cafe Breizh

julianwilson
    Free Member

Rusty Shackleford – Member

Weight Gain 4000

Follow your dreams

😀 Beeeeeeefcaaaake! 😀

MrGreedy

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RJ_8xhvTUMw[/video]

(This is in lieu of any real expertise, as I’ve spent most of the last decade going in the other direction after my beer & kebab student days – cycling has definitely worked well for this)

transporter13
    Free Member

you can have some of mine if you want…i’ve got plenty 🙂

beinbhan

Geoffj

I think he is in Oz

geoffj

Geoffj

I think he is in Oz

😳

sambino
    Free Member

Cross training with weights or some sort of strength work will help keep weight on, as long as you’re eating enough, and will help avoid injuries associated with over specializing your physique.

I’ve recently started running and doing British Military Fitness classes both of which have really improved my riding through cardio and muscle endurance. But I am struggling to keep weight on so I’ve started one heavy weights session per week and eating everything in sight.

James Wilson’s blog has loads of strength training ideas to help riding and prevent imbalances caused by riding. If you can’t eat enough normal food myprotein is a great place to by supplements.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 43 total)

The topic ‘Help me gain weight!’ is closed to new replies.