Viewing 34 posts - 121 through 154 (of 154 total)
  • Help me find the perfect sub £1000 retro motorbike – pics please
  • docstar
    Free Member

That was my 1990 GT550, I owned it for a year and only sold it as I got a 2004 cbf 600 for a steal. I would have kept it for a project bike but as it was 4 cylinder I reckoned it would be a nightmare to take off road.

docstar
    Free Member

I paid £500 for that bike by the way, it had no mot, needed a front tyre and a siezed front caliper but £100 is all it cost to put it on the road.

slimjim78
    Free Member

I’m looking at a GT750 on ePay, low mileage and fairly local

epicyclo

Good engines, rubbery handling.

Plenty enthusiast owners. Nice to ride but don’t push the limits.

zippykona

David Silver seem to stock everything for Honda.

RustySpanner

Please, don’t buy a Superdream.

They were pretty cheaply built for a Honda and rotted really badly.

Overly complex for the size and heavy for their weight.
    The 400’s are ok until you have to do anything, then they’re a fiddly pain in the arse.

Yamaha XS250 & 400’s are even worse.
    That bad they’re almost British.
    Oddly, the XS650’s are really good, and, er, almost so good they’re British.

If you see pretty much any air cooled Kawasaki four stroke twin just run away.
    Luckily, most of them will not be able to catch you.

zippykona

My dad had a 440 custom Kwak twin and the engine was great. Handled like crap though.

binners

Instead of looking at all these old dogs, that are potential money-pits, and are mostly poor handling, dog slow heaps of shit, why don’t you just buy a 600 Bandit?

£1500 will buy you a really clean, low mileage example. They’re great bikes, bomb proof and cheap as chips to run.

RustySpanner

He’s right you know. 🙂

Early Yam 600 Fazers are really nice too.
    Modern looks and tyres, suspension and brakes that should be worth a refresh.

slimjim78
    Free Member

My first bike was a Bandit 650. Have also owned a 1200. Very ‘nice’ – just don’t make my heart flutter when I look at them.
    Have also owned a mint 600 Fazer (she was goooolden). Again, nice reliable comfy ride – but slightly dull.
    Just to be clear, this purchase is equally as much about posing as it is riding. I’m going full on open face helmet, goggles, tan leather jacket, brown steel toe caps – tattoos and beard, etc.
    I’m going to look pretty fly for a white guy.

I’m decided, it’s got to be an 80’s mid weight looker, or possibly a 90’s throwback (Zephyr etc).

I promise not to buy a superdream . Scouts honour

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/142046897527 Brummmmm!!!

binners

Aha. In that case, if it was me, I’d stretch the budget and go full on daft!!!!!! 😀

slimjim78
    Free Member

Always wanted one when I was a yoot. Is actually tempting

CountZero

There was an XT500 in town this afternoon, completely stock, ‘R’-reg, a few chips in the paint, original drum brakes, got chatting to the owner, who said it had been off the road for ten years. Did a bit of work, got it MOT’d, and he said it’s just so much fun to ride, just needs care kicking it into life; a sore/broken ankle or punted over the bars is a possibility with a 500 single, but it started first kick while I was there, and sounded lovely as he rode off.
    Sorry, no photo, I got so involved talking I forgot.

epicyclo

slimjim78 – Member
    …Just to be clear, this purchase is equally as much about posing as it is riding. I’m going full on open face helmet, goggles, tan leather jacket, brown steel toe caps – tattoos and beard, etc.
    I’m going to look pretty fly for a white guy…

Then what you need is a Harley or an old British bike. So blow the budget and get a Hollis. 🙂

slimjim78
    Free Member

This seems a good easy project – just needs some polishing for a sound bike. Low mileage, seems about £800 cheaper than the competition… Should I snap it up?

It’s no barn stormer but I could get some good use out of it and move it on next year for a profit if it’s too dull?…

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/282079869958

5thElefant
    Free Member

That looks sensible to me. Go for it. 🙂

mildred

Those Hollis use cane creek double barrel shocks for the rear.

slimjim78
    Free Member

Went and took a look at this old girl : http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/252454484036

It starts first time, seems to idle nicely and the seller is apparently going to put 12 months MOT on this week.
    Have done a bit of research and found several statements proclaiming the GS850 to have one of the ‘most reliable engines ever produced’. Which is nice.
    Chrome work is excellent, there’s an odd coloured side panel and sourcing an original may be tricky. It has just about the right amount of faded former glory that I like on old machinery – so i’m very tempted..

Crazy idle speed when on choke though, I thought the guy was determined to kill the engine but upon reading a bit more it turns out to be a Suzuki trait at the time. Cold blooded engines apparently.

Going back to take a closer inspection tomorrow as its currently wedged in between about a dozen other imports in his yard.

Someone please tell me that these bikes should be avoided at all costs, or, that its the best bike ever made.

RustySpanner

It’s lovely, but can you get any bodywork or chassis bits for it?
    I’ve never seen one in the flesh over here.

I rode a standard-ish, ratty GS850G shaftie a bit and really rated it.
    Big, squashy, comfy thing.
    Very reliable.
    Heavy, long, poor brakes and suspension.
    Lovely engine, softly tuned.

I would.
    🙂

epicyclo

slimjim78 – Member
    …done a bit of research and found several statements proclaiming the GS850 to have one of the ‘most reliable engines ever produced’.

Those GS motors were very popular for drag racing. Bulletproof even on Nitro. Just keep the oil clean cool and well filtered.

slimjim78
    Free Member

Bullet bitten. Or should that be ‘brick’?

I’ve ended up with a BMW K75(T). Picking it up in a few days, can’t wait to get some fair weather miles on it.

Any K series love in the house?

Pigface
    Free Member

Bricks are great, mate dispatched on a 1000 brick it did mega miles.

fasthaggis

Hope it’s going to be closer to this^^

Than this^^ 😉

slimjim78
    Free Member

ha, the funny thing is that its almost identical to the 2nd pic

dave661350

The 75 is a very sweet bike, a better more balanced engine than the 1000. Enjoy it

slimjim78
    Free Member

BRRRUMMMM BRRUUUUUUMMMMMMMM!!!!

Turned up today. Mildly disappointed as it’s nowhere near as mint as I’d been lead to believe so have typically paid way too much for it. Hey ho, mechanics are sound and goes lovely, may make a great brat or cafe job out of it next year instead.

Weeds currently being attended.

Merak

Looks good to me for £500

br
    Free Member

If it goes and has a decent MOT then you can’t ask for much else of a 20y/o bike for £500.

It’ll still be 5h1t though, unless you’re actually looking for something old/heavy/slow/aged etc.

You’ll be now after a dayglo Sam Browne and an IAM sticker 🙂

slimjim78
    Free Member

Ha, it’s 30 years old, slow(ish), heavy, handles nice though, great riding position – cost me a fair wedge more than £500 sobs thoug :-/

Merak

slimjim78
    Free Member

I’ve made worse decisions

fasthaggis

If it ticks all your boxes and is reliable,then it will be fine.
    Get on some of the beemer forums and see what other folk do with them.
    Great places for advice and ideas.

slimjim78
    Free Member

So the Brick leaks a bit. Parked it up ready to recommission next season.
    In the meantime I saw this locally and couldnt resist. Had to source an OEM exhaust system and have a section welded (balance pipe), finally got it sorted last week and its a blast to ride!

82 XJ650 (Maxim). US Import, has had the daft lay back handlebars replaced for Euro style.
    I love it. Cost nearly half the price of the K75, and for that reason I reckon the beemer will be moving on next spring.

Viewing 34 posts - 121 through 154 (of 154 total)

The topic ‘Help me find the perfect sub £1000 retro motorbike – pics please’ is closed to new replies.