Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • Help me find the holy grail of a self-catering family / biking holiday please
  • wilko1999
    Free Member

We’re looking to book something for late April/early June for our family of four. Thats me and Mrs Wilko, our 3.5 yr old daughter, 1.5 year old son and two dogs. This is what we have in mind:

– Self-catering cottage in or near good countryside
    – Nice walks and leisurely family bike rides
    – Stuff to tire the kids out nearby – eg swimming pool, adventure playgrounds, softplay etc
    – Not too far from some civilisation ie supermarket, village shops, foody pubs
    – Mountain biking somewhere near – natural riding or trail centres. I don’t mind driving an hour to the trails, or riding from near where we’re staying even better
    – I love Scotland/Cumbria but its too far a drive unfortunately, so can’t really venture higher up than about Sheffield. Anything below is fair game.

Its a big ask and pretty specific, but any suggestions much appreciated!

Thanks in advance

jekkyl

If not cumbria then South Wales I would suggest. Your pick of several trail centres or natural stuff. Lovely beaches and plenty to do in some parts and they use some sort of strange language where every word is 3 times as long as it needs to be. 🙂

willjones
    Free Member

Similar ambitions here, and have settled on Isle of Wight (family live there too, so that does skew things a little), but there’s a ton of stuff to do with the kids.

rocketman
    Free Member

Somewhere in Pembrokeshire:

Self-catering cottage in or near good countryside

loads of these

Nice walks and leisurely family bike rides

loads of countryside. Spectacular coastline. Reservoirs to ride round

Stuff to tire the kids out nearby – eg swimming pool, adventure playgrounds, softplay etc

Tenby/St.Davids/Fishguard

Not too far from some civilisation ie supermarket, village shops, foody pubs

As above. Not exactly New York/Paris/Rome but adequate

Mountain biking somewhere near – natural riding or trail centres.

Preseli Hills or S.Wales trail centre

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

I’m going to say Arthog nr Barmouth.

Why?

The lovely Mawddach Trail all the way to Dolgellau, easy level family cycling in stunning location

Lots of seaside interest, great pub (George III at Penmaenpool)plus a few good ones in Barmouth via a walk across the railway bridge over the estuary from Arthog

Still quiet enough to feel like you have spots to yourself

Supermarket at Dolgellau

The Blue Lake, via an adventure exploring the old quarry, tunnel, etc looks like giants have been building up there.

Cader Idris

Miniature train for parents and toddlers at Fairbourne.

Coming up short with swimming pool unless you swim in the ocean. There is Barmouth Bay Holiday Park with a pool.

We booked a nice cabin there recently and it was top notch, have been to Arthog many times, but mainly grown-up walkyclimbybikey stuff so kids might be better served in Barmouth. You can bikeover the railway bridge too, my favourite morning jaunt is the 6 miles on the level trail to Robertses cafe in Dolgellau. Grab a few groceries from supermarket, then a leisurely ride back, catch lunch in Penmaenpool go visit the RSPB, take binoculars.

MoreCashThanDash

Near Twywn (sp?). Specifically Cynfal Farm cottages. On a farm with real lambs, has it’s own halt on the miniature steam railway, easy access to beaches, Mucknfluff, trail centres, more steam railways, and our kids loved the CAT.

Been twice now. Lovely spot. Even in the rain.

Malvern Rider
    Free Member
    rOcKeTdOg

Forest of Dean, family & more advanced trails, near Wye valley for canoeing etc, stunning countryside, castles, Abbeys & big city’s if you really need them

wrightyson
    Free Member

I was also gonna say forest of Dean after staying in Painswick in the cotswolds 2 summers ago.
    And the lido at Cheltenham is a lovely day out if it’s warm enough.

wilko1999
    Free Member

South Wales/west coast looking promising, like the ideas of around Barmouth/Twywn. Never ridden at Coed Y Brenin either so that’s a bonus.

Love FoD, but its too close to home, I ride off-piste there all the time – I’m from Gloucester

Considering Dorset now too, near Poole. Purbecks for riding

Any other suggestions? Thanks so far!

wilko1999
    Free Member

Shameless bump for any evening folk who may have some ideas 🙂

midlifecrashes

How about Sherrill Farm Holiday Cottages. Tamar Valley north of Plymouth, nr Tavistock. Swimming pool on site, easy travel to Dartmoor or Haldon. Pick the wind direction and head north or south for a beach.

wilko1999
    Free Member

That looks good midlife, ideal. Love Dartmoor for riding too

ampthill

Pembrokeshire is brilliant for everything except mountain biking so I’d rule it out

I’d say Devon. North coast and ride on Exmoor or South Coast and ride on Dartmoor

I like the Woolacombe/Croyde area although that’s a bit further from Exmoor

We have used this company quite a few times for cottages

link

cloudnine
    Free Member

Pembrokeshire is brilliant for everything except mountain biking so I’d rule it out

You just have to know where to look… Theres some rather good cheeky coast path riding, lots of bridle paths linked with quiet lanes for CX. Theres also some rather good but short DH type trails in some woods..

[video]http://vimeo.com/42690598[/video]

I have offered on numerous occasions to take people on holiday rides but nobody has taken up the offer..

Garry_Lager

Another vote for Dartmoor – stayed at a yurt camp there which was near Bovey Tracey I think (good to do once, but think I’d either camp or get a cottage in future). Trail centre right there for taking the kids round in the trailer, Dartmoor for hairy-arsed mountain biking and walking, loads of beaches to choose from for the kids, plenty of towns etc. Seemed easy to get to, as well.

wilko1999
    Free Member

C9 those DH trails look good fun, if we’re ever over that way I’ll give you a shout they look right up my street! We went to Pembrokeshire last year though and it was awful weather. Rather than head out over the Preselis I drove back to Brechfa as the trail centre stuff runs alright after loads of rain.

Looking like south side of Devon at the moment, if nothing else other than I’m dying to get back riding on Dartmoor!

tonyg2003

Pembrokeshire for me too.

Lots of dog friendly beaches (kids too), BlueWater for the kids and Oakwood even for small ones. Lots of cottages out of season. Really good mountain biking is a trip back along the M4 or the Preseli Hills.

ampthill

Cloudnine

Happy to be corrected

wrecker
    Free Member

I’ve done pembrokeshire a few times now, and it’s not where I’d choose. Those DH tracks in the video are “secret” and illegal/cheeky.
    Bluestone is great, and the freshwater beaches are some of my favorites but, the riding isn’t brilliant. I had a mooch around Canestan forest; barely worth it. I will say that some of the nicest people in the world seem to live there though! Everyone is so….nice!

I’d look more towards CYB. Day trips to betws y coed, waterfalls, beaches, dramatic scenery. I like it up there.

huggis
    Free Member

another vote for Wales – we went there a few times when our sprogs where younger and enjoyed a great variety of cycling etc…

cloudnine
    Free Member

The dh tracks aren’t illegal and were built with landowners permission… They are pretty secret though.
    Parts of the coast path are really fun to ride and the scenery still blows me away every time I ride certain cheeky routes. There are some new trails being built not far from pembroke which have potential.

kneebiscuit
    Free Member

Another vote for Wales. We stayed in a cottage off this website. Absolutely loved it and the owners were great about storing bikes in their sheds.

bentandbroken

How about the New Forest. Sandyballs.co.uk is the obvious recommendation for accommodation, but there are other choices as well

MoreCashThanDash

New Forest for a cycling holiday? BURN HIM!

bentandbroken

He mentioned staying near Poole to ride in the Pubecks and Sandy Balls is only a shortish drive from there and ticks all the other boxes nicely. I have heard there is some cycling in the New Forest itself, but obviously there are no mountains so it can’t be real cycling 😉

dazz
    Free Member

Malvern Rider – Member

The Blue Lake, via an adventure exploring the old quarry, tunnel, etc looks like giants have been building up there

Anymore info on this, I’ve never heard of it & go that way quite a lot, it looks like something I need to do 🙂

mark90
    Free Member

Known as the blue pool or blue lake. Popular ‘tombstoning’ location.

http://www.aroundcader.co.uk/walks/blue%20pool_how.html

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)

The topic ‘Help me find the holy grail of a self-catering family / biking holiday please’ is closed to new replies.