Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Help me find some fitness after a long virus
  • ahsat

My 2015

April: week long biking holiday. Feeling rather fit.
    Mid-May: disc prolapse. Kept riding, but very short and slow.
    Late August: 2.5 weeks in the Alps. Not great up hill, but re discovering some fitness.
    Late September: started to get a cold.
    And now, nearly 2 months later, I am 8 days into 13 days of sick leave, trying to shift this virus (or as my sick note says, ‘severe viral debilitation’!).

Looking forward to being well next week (!). Its been a tricky year in terms of health and fitness. I need some help getting back on track. Maybe not a full blown training program but some pointers that I can work on over the winter.

I work 50+ hour weeks (Mon-Fri), but try to fit in some activity 2 or 3 times at the week and again at the weekend. I dont really like cycle commuting in winter – I really dont enjoy riding in the dark.

I have at my disposal:
    CX bike, road bike and turbo trainer (plus a couple of sufferfests), mountain bikes
    Kettle bells and gym rings (I have done some body weight training in the past)
    Kayaks (though just learning this – Tues evening will be at the local pool)
    Happy to swim and go to the climbing wall, and regularly walk.

I need to keep active to keep my back in shape, so have been doing my physio throughout being ill, but I know I am now so unfit, I don’t know where to start (when I can). I can’t even look at Strava at the moment, it is too depressing.

Some pointers may just be enough inspiration.

Many thanks
    (and sorry for the length of the message!)

Sandwich

I work 50+ hour weeks (Mon-Fri),

There’s your trouble, right there. Recovery needs rest and 50 hours of any work activity will not aid that.

I would look to get the work hours back to a reasonable 40 and go from there. (It’s probably not what you want to hear).

ahsat

There’s your trouble, right there. Recovery needs rest and 50 hours of any work activity will not aid that.

I would look to get the work hours back to a reasonable 40 and go from there. (It’s probably not what you want to hear).
    I hear you. I know its not that ideal, but I am young academic without a permanent job. Its unfortunately the way it goes! 8.30-6.30 isnt so bad, but does squeeze the day.

wanmankylung
    Free Member

It’s behind the couch.

ahsat

It’s behind the couch.

The wobble board is behind the couch…I used that about an hour ago! 😛

legolam
    Free Member

I know you hate the turbo, but consider signing up for Trainerroad, even if it’s just for the first month to see how you get on (they refund your money if you don’t feel any benefit). They’ve really expanded their plans and it gives you something to work towards. Commuting and MTBing are grim round here at the moment, and I think even a short period of targeted indoor training might be enough to regain enough fitness.

PS you free this weekend? We could start your rehab with a gentle cafe ride?

ahsat

Do I need an ANT+ sensor to make trainer road worth it? At the moment I just sit on the turbo and make it up as I go along.

PS you free this weekend? We could start your rehab with a gentle cafe ride?

Brother is around this weekend without bike, hoping to walk or indoor climb at least.

legolam
    Free Member

Forgot to say, the good thing about Trainerroad is that you don’t have to think about what you’re going to do that evening. You have a plan, and for 8 weeks you just do what it says. Even at <3 hours per week, I saw huge fitness gains the first time I did it.

legolam
    Free Member

Yeah, TR works with an ANT+ cadence and speed sensor and dongle attached to your computer/laptop. You can borrow mine if you want to try it out – I don’t think I’ll be back on the turbo until after the New Year (no real target events for 2016 yet, plus I want to finish cycling to outer space by the end of the year…!)

ahsat

Thanks very much. I’ll look into it. Our turbo is ancient. Not sure if Trainer Road support it.

trevorderuise
    Free Member

Check out this page of our website, which will help you figure out exactly what you may need for your specific setup: Equipment Checker

I think I just responded to you on the other thread regarding your trainer, but the equipment checker page is still very useful 😉

Professional Mtb Racer & Community Manager at TrainerRoad – Cycling’s Most Effective Training Tool

ahsat

Thanks Trevor – yes you did just reply to my other thread. I have emailed the guys and have sorted out on Amazon what I need if my turbo will work.

spawnofyorkshire

I’ve now had two years in a row of

severe viral debilitation

; Glandular Fever in 2014 (1 month off work, 4 months to recover) and some unknown viral thing this year which put me on my back for over a week and took a month to recover.
    The main thing I’d say is do not rush to get back to fitness; take your time and build back slowly.
    The mistake i made was to think i needed to push through tiredness when i started back training and that often put me back in bed to recover and prevented me from cycling/running/climbing again for a few days

And make sure your diet is good, especially with the type of job you have

ahsat

The main thing I’d say is do not rush to get back to fitness; take your time and build back slowly.

Thanks spawn. A good word of advice. Know I’ll try and crack on asap, but will take this on board and go steady.

And make sure your diet is good, especially with the type of job you have

Thanks. Think this is one thing I am ok at. I cook fresh food every day and often take in home made lunches for example mackerel salads and soup. Snacks are almonds, nakd bars etc. Lost over a stone in 2014-15 by cutting out the rubbish from my diet and I seem to be sustaining it (well apart from a bit more cake whilst I have been ill!).

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Help me find some fitness after a long virus’ is closed to new replies.