Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Help me find a stiff…stem
  • IA

Current stem on my XC bike twists a bit with my favoured 760 bars.

Recommend me something stiffer and not too pricey?

Been looking at the on-one stems and truvativ AKA, both because they’re reasonably light, yet rated for heavier-than-XC use so might be a bit less twisty.

Needs to come in 80mm flavour.

Anyone used the above?

PJM1974
    Free Member

I run a Nukeproof Zero on my AM bike, which at 50mm is short for your needs but is bloody stiff. There are always offers on CRC which are worth checking out.

rob-jackson
    Free Member

superstar zephir

ruggerbugger
    Free Member

I have a Raceface Atlas AM 80mm with 780mm bars. I’m a lump & tat stem hasn’t flexed!!!

rocketman
    Free Member

Needs to come in 80mm flavour

imho any stem that long is going to twist with 760 bars

It was 50mm before I found anything that would stay put – a Thomson X4 – but I also have a RF Atlas stem which is similarly solid.

One thing worth considering is that the more expensive stems put a lot of metal in contact with the steerer – they are a tight fit and the bolts barely need tightening – but I think it helps with the steering and feel through the bars

umop3pisdn
    Free Member

Heavier stem = stiffer stem

Rockdodger
    Free Member

Renthal Strata for me and my son,rock solid

neninja
    Free Member

If you can find one the Sunline V1 All Mountain stem comes in 80mm and is very stiff.

Run a 65mm one with a 740 bar and it’s rock solid.

IA

Good points from rocketman – hence looking for recommendations. I know I can expect some flex, I’m a big guy, but OTOH it’s just for the XC bike (shorter stem on the AM bike).

Just a bit disconcerting when you can feel things flex in corners/hauling up a climb!

Some good suggestions to look into though, thanks all! (and keep them coming!)

jairaj

What have you got at the moment?

We can’t recommend anything that might be better without knowing what the current benchmark is.

IA

Current thing is cheapy thing that came with the bike. Pretty sure any half decent AM stem will be better. In particular it seems to have a narrow clamping area which can’t be helping.

Just looking after real-world experience with some. The Truvativ and On-one items had caught my eye.

headpotdog
    Free Member

Easton Haven FTW

chiefgrooveguru

Renthal Strata is really stiff if you don’t mind going 10mm shorter.

slackalice
    Free Member

Thread hijack!!

IA, has your good lady decided what to do with her Inbred? If she is looking to change, please would you mail me 🙂

Cheers.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

There is absolutely no way you are flexing your stem. The ‘flex’ you are feeling is coming from your bars.

chiefgrooveguru

There is absolutely no way you are flexing your stem. The ‘flex’ you are feeling is coming from your bars.

Can you explain why it’s impossible to cause a stem to twist by 1 degree but possible for bars to flex such that the end displacement is 5mm? Because that tiny 1 degree torsion causes that much movement at the grips.

takisawa2

I swapped out a Sunnline stem because it was too stiff. My Niner runs fully rigid & I set out to induce some extra flex by using a non OS carbon bar. Ended up using a Thomson Elite. Probably not an issue on a bike with FS, but on a fully rigid front it felt better.

muddyfunster
    Free Member

Nobeerinthefridge

Stand at one end of your bars, get a friend to stand at the opposite side. As you lift up, get your friend to push down on the bars. Watch the stem flex. Then consider eating your words. With lighter stems this can easily be done on your simply by sitting on the top tube and twisting the bars if you’ve got reasonable upper body strength.

Even with a 55mm easton haven or renthal strata the effect is obvious if you look at the bike head on.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Help me find a stiff…stem’ is closed to new replies.