• This topic has 35 replies, 25 voices, and was last updated 6 years ago by gaze.
Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)
  • Help me find a slack, fun, 29er hardtail frame…
  • timbo678
    Free Member

Hi, I have a pinnacle ramin with pretty much everything upgraded on it, but I don’t enjoy riding it and spend 99% of the time on my 5010, but I want to have it ready for winter thrashing and make it more fun loving and comfortable.

So am after a hardtail which is slack as possible (less than 67 degrees if possible), is non-boost so I can swap everything over and will encourage stupidity if possible.

Oh and I am 6’5 so needs to be as long as possible!

The stif morf would have been perfect but it is 650b, as are the slack Oranges, the Ragley bigwig looked to be a winner, till I saw those nasty boost words at the bottom!

I would love it to be British and steel, but they aren’t deal breakers at all, esp the steel bit.

frood
    Free Member

Standard recommend what you have post of a last fast forward. It’s a 29er. Mine’s the large which has a 450mm reach and 64° head angle so long and slack. XL is a 475mm reach. You’ll need to redish the rear wheel on its 135mm hub (took 30 mins to do mine) but otherwise standard fittings

tmb467
    Free Member

There was a Chromag rootdown in the classifieds a few days ago – meets most of the critieria, and you can stick an Angleset in for added slackness if you think the geo isn’t slack enough

Edit. Ignore that. You’re too big

bluebird
    Free Member

Stanton Sherpa?

dvatcmark
    Free Member

I’m very happy with my nukeproof scout 290

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

watching with interest. I was looking for a carbon frame actually , if you could find that for me …!

chakaping
    Free Member

Someone was flogging an XL Last FF frame on here a coupe of days ago.

fingerbang
    Free Member

I too am very happy with my scout 290. Iirc the reach on the XL is 455m which seems short in paper but isn’t in reality I find.

I have XL long arms and sizing is spot on with a 50mm stem.

Have a try on mine if you’re in North West but I spose hardtails aren’t big bucks

Ecky-Thump
    Free Member

He withdrew the ad for the FF Chakaping.
    The FF and the Rootdown BA would be my choices here too.

timbo678
    Free Member

Thanks all, running hope hubs so axle differences not an issue (apart from Boost).

Edit. Ignore that. You’re too big

…if only she said that, will check out the sherpa, root down and FF

renton
    Free Member

Whyte 529/629 depending on preferred colour choice and sell all the bits.

Mine …..

Sodajim

NS Eccentric Cromo 2017 or Ragley Bigwig?

Bigmantrials

I love my Shan GT, I am around 6ft4 and it seems to fit well, happy for you to try it if you’re local to the midlands.

My other choice would be the NS Eccentric, slightly longer reach and taller seat tube than the Shan, I had one on pre-order but delivery was pushed back so I cancelled.

tallmart10

Interesting. I am 6′ 4″ too. Presume you bought an xl shan GT frame, BigMantrials? Any idea what the built-up weight is?

prawny

BigWig and a new back wheel?

Bigmantrials

@ Tallmart10 – It is an XL but no idea on the weight, it feels less than the full sus I had before, but not considerably, I would guess at 28-29lbs, its going to be getting heavier soon when i swap out the revelations for a Yari or 2018 Revelation.

Not to fussed about the weight though, the way it rides makes you soon forget!

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

Mmmmm.

Fast forward.

thomthumb
    Free Member

new transition hardtail look interesting.

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

@renton what’s the weight like for that Whyte? A lot of the steel hardbacks I see weigh a tonne and I appreciate that for some is not the most important factor …. but 29-30lbs is chunky! It’s what puts me off the bigwig. Fast forward looks rad but 600 euros for a steel hardtail is too much for me

cokie

Sorry, rubbish photo

I started with the Whyte 529 full build and sold off everything. Only left with the frame, headset and stem. Worked out as £250.

My full build sits at 27lbs as pictures (minus full water bottle).
    Spec: Hope XC Hoops, Pike, Wide bars, 1×11 Xt/X01, X1 cranks.
    The only thing missing is the dropper which would add about 200g over the standard post.

Love the bike. Very stable and comfortable. It’s not the stiffest frame and I’ve ridden steel frames that are far stiffer. It’s pretty fun to throw around, but it’s more difficult to manual than the geo suggests, probably down to the long reach. Back end kicks out nicely and predictably when coaxed. What really surprised me is how good it is at XC riding. It was an impulse purchase for a fun all round HT to compliment my T130. Couldn’t be happier, but it feels more like an all rounder compared to my Zealous Division mk2 and Stooge, which really where playthings/big BMXs and didn’t cover ground as well.

honourablegeorge

Scienceofficer – Member

Mmmmm.

Fast forward.

How are you getting on with it?

My frame is in a box here beside me, just arrived back from Last with new paint.

timbo678
    Free Member

Shan GT is boost as well (per website), I like the sherpa having the option to change, but hands down the Last FF is winning at the moment, it is a thing of beauty.

The whyte’s look good but don’t give me that tingle if you know what I mean.

I am down south I am afraid, but thanks for the demo offers.

mindmap3
    Free Member

I’ve a few friends with Sherpas and they love them. They’re certainly fun to ride and are pretty.

The 853 tubeset is really lovely to ride as well.

tallmart10

Thanks, I’ll add it to my list of possibles.

NormalMan

howsyourdad1 – Member
    …. but 29-30lbs is chunky!

Much of that will depend on build spec though I’d have thought.

My KM Ops weighs around the 29lb to 30lb mark (super comfy though) whereas my Solaris is much lighter (26.4 lb on LBS scales). But the builds are pretty different in terms of gears/wheels and tyres etc.

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

How are you getting on with it?

It’s early days. Predictably, its unshakeable in a straight line or big carvy turns, right up to the point where you smash your rear wheel…

It’s a bit ponderous in the twisties at the moment. Still fiddling with stem length and bar height. The front end is such a radical departure from anything I’ve had before, I have no feel for where I should be starting. Heading towards 35mm stem with more spacers currently, and I’ll probably slide the saddle forwards a bit too.

Technical climbing it’s a beast.

honourablegeorge

Cool. Was loving mine, am on a 35mm stem. Picked up a set of cheapo 27mm Easton rims in the CRC sale, so might even try it as a 29er.

scottfitz
    Free Member

howsyourdad1 – Member

watching with interest. I was looking for a carbon frame actually , if you could find that for me …!

https://www.transitionbikes.com/Bikes_Vanquish.cfm?Token={ts_2017-05-11_04:11:29}-21893eb80245abd0-4800E962-B42D-CBA2-7C06829ACAB67F0C
    Slack, long, low, 29er & carbon

cokie

Canfield Bros EPO

honourablegeorge

scottfitz – Member

Slack, long, low, 29er & carbon

Looks lovely, but wouldn’t consider it slack.

BillOddie

In the true STW spirit of recommneding what you own…

Chromag Rootdown, but not sure how you would go about getting one now…

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

yes there was a thread on here about the transition. not really slack and super expensive. Thanks though!

mboy
    Free Member

I know of a Mk1 Stanton Sherpa frame brand new and unused in 21″… Great bikes, riding a 17″ (im a lot shorter than you) as a stop gap at the moment and it’s a great bike!

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

Sorry if it’s upside down but I had a go on this today. fantastic fun and I MUST have one 66.8 headangle, not superslack but twas rad.

singlespeedstu

Another vote for the FF.
    Such a fun bike.
    [url=https://flic.kr/p/Sryfex]Eli approves.[/url] by multispeedstu, on Flickr

gaze
    Free Member

[/url]imagehosting[/img]

My FF , it has become my go to bike , it’s ace .

Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)

The topic ‘Help me find a slack, fun, 29er hardtail frame…’ is closed to new replies.