Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Help me find a replacement Softshell
  • andysredmini
    Free Member

I currently have a prototype Northface Softshell bought for £5 from the northface outlet shop years ago. Its a thin but robust material and is very wind proof and doesn’t get sweaty, it doesn’t really offer any warmth and absolutely no water resistance (not sure it had any coatings when new). Its been used loads all year round in all weather and still looks as good as it did the day I bought it but unfortunately the zip is knackered so I’m looking for a replacement.
    I have seen a few pics of gore ones I like but cant tell what the material will be like from the descriptions and the few on display locally are too thick.
    The closest I think I may have found is the GORE FUSION CROSS 2.0 WINDSTOPPER ACTIVE SHELL CYCLING JACKET

I’m going to look at getting the zip replaced or fixed but still fancy a new one.

Regarding the zip, any idea what could be causing the problem? It first started a while ago when I got stuck in the the jacket when the zip wouldn’t undo. I managed eventually but it was very stiff. I put a bit of lube on the zip which helped but now when it closes it doesn’t sit flat it makes a v shape. it still works OK but I don’t know for how much longer.

Thanks

Andy

andysredmini
    Free Member

Bump

Goldigger
    Free Member

I’ve just bought a Rab sawtooth hoodie softshell to replace my north face one that’s 7/8 years old.
    Lovely jacket but not cheap at £120.

I have no idea what my north face one is as the labels are all faded, but I’ve worn that everywhere and its only got a few wear marks on the cuffs.

The north face CERESIO is pretty much the same as my old north face.
    Wind proof and water resistant, can be found online for around £70.

andysredmini
    Free Member

That rab looks like the sort of material and they do it without a hood.
    I might try and find a local stockist.
    Thanks

Goldigger
    Free Member

This mountain hardware chockstone looks pretty good. Available without a hood too, same stretchy material..
    https://www.verticalgear.co.uk/mountain-hardwear-super-chockstone-jacket-review/
    [video]https://youtu.be/3rFzbtXVYg8[/video]

squoglybob
    Free Member

Have a look at Paramo stuff, I just bought a thin windproof water resistant smock in “Enduro Blue” for £55 from the store in Covent Garden.
    Initially bought it for walking, light showers etc but thought about biking in it, it’s got a scalloped back a hood and a chest pocket. It’s waterproofed by the NIKWAX stuff, it’s light packs down small and is really windproof.
    The last jacket I bought was the Howies one similar price but it didn’t make it past its maiden voyage as it ripped like a crisp packet on the first bramble I went near.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Help me find a replacement Softshell’ is closed to new replies.