Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Help me find a job! (Niche Product Designer content)
  • crapknees
    Free Member

I’ve had enough of the current job l’m in, and was wondering if anyone out there has had a similar experience, or may be able to offer any suggestions?

I’ve worked as a product designer (consultancy, 5yrs) and packaging designer (plastic manufacturer, 2.5yrs) since graduating with a mickey mouse degree. I admit l got lucky first time round (the consultancy was looking for a specific skill set – l could sketch well!), and learnt pretty much everything l should have been taught in uni in my job instead. I then found my current job, moved, have enjoyed it for a while, and get paid well but now l want a change (for various reasons, probably too many to list). Problem is, there are next to no jobs of equivalent salary and description unless l move, which with a new family is not possible. I would like to move into a more Design Engineer-type role, however l do not feel my current qualification (BSc Sports Equipment Design, anyone?) is of any use, and my engineering know-how is limited to knowledge of injection and blow moulding (with a smattering of other manufacturing and fabrication techniques)

My main USP is that l am trained in ProEngineer and now CATIA, which l believe is a fairly rare occurence. The various applications l have posted off have got nowhere due to my lack of experience and qualifications in engineering. So, where should l be looking / What should l be looking to do to get my foot in the door?

Anyone?

MrNutt
    Free Member

set up your own consultancy and offer your current employer a very competitive rate? then go about looking for new contracts.

maccruiskeen

which with a new family is not possible

how new? If your kids are in the final throws of studying for their exams then a move would be disruptive, but if they’re not at school yet, or are they are at school and they’re young, then you can move and they won’t massively suffer for it. Even if you don’t especially want to move- if the work you like is coming up elsewhere apply for it anyway – see if you’re prepared to turn the offer of job down if its made to you.

mangoridebike

if by a new family you mean v young kids I would argue this is a good time to move.

there is rarely a better time to build new relationships in a new area then when able to bond with other parents at playgroups, school gates, play dates etc.

having moved several times before and after kids arrived we definitely found a it easier to meet new people when there were kids in tow. they’re a great icebreaker.

no useful advice on the job front though 🙁

wwaswas

Do you live where there are lots of jobs in the industry you work in?

IF you do then staying put sounds ok but as above, moving when you have younger children is probably easier than when they’ve started school etc.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘Help me find a job! (Niche Product Designer content)’ is closed to new replies.