Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)
  • Help me find a fork. 26", qr, 80mm travel and for a nipper.
  • rockhopper70

Apologies if this should be a wanted but it’s also advice sought so ill risk it.

Suntour xcr on my sons hardrock is rock hard.

Without going daft budget, any suggestions or even links.
    The usual, cheap, light, quality, pick two etc is in mind but I’d say light and something that moves under him.m

wiggles
    Free Member

I’d look for some Sid’s or 32’s second hand they will be relatively cheap and light

MoreCashThanDash

I found Rosebikes quite good when I was after some retro type forks last year.

twonks

Are you bothered about age or second hand?

If not I have a pair of 1999 ish RST XMO air forks that are very light and as they have an Englund cartridge in either leg can be set up for virtually any weight.

Lighter and better performing than SIDs of the day.

Yellow and disk and V brake compatible.

In a bid to help keep your lad riding I’ll let them go for the cost of delivery – about £10 or so, unless your near the midlands in which case pop round and there free 😀

Sorry, should have added they are either 70 something or 80mm travel (I forget exactly which), 1 1/8″ ahead steerer and QR

rockhopper70

Twonks, that’s very generous but like his father, he is a colour coded tart and yellow won’t go down very well with him.
    Red, black, grey or white would be OK.

relliott6879
    Free Member

A free fork plus the minimal cost of having the lowers powdercoated is still a bloody cheap deal, no?

Junkyard
    Free Member

i have some old red SIDS that you can have for £25 about 3lbs in weight or cheaper if you can collect

When i was doing what you are doing SIDS were the only ones with a reasonable A-C as all other forks were much longer and therefore affected the geometry

One of the germans sites did some for about £150 new and there is a suntour something or other for about £100 on the bay but its about 2 kg in weight IIRC

Rich_s

twonks – YGM

rockhopper70

Junkyard, could you send some pics please and probably confirm that A-C dimension as I’d overlooked that side of things.

rockhopper70

Please….

jambalaya
    Free Member

I’ve 80mm marzocchi bombers from about 2006/7 on my loaner bike – they seem to be pretty decent

PJay
    Free Member

I’ve got a pair of old Rockshox Dukes, 80mm travel forks in black; Motion Control and air sprung. They haven’t been touched in years so I can’t comment on their working condition (I think I may once have done an oil change). They have v-brake bosses (alongside the caliper mount) and a steel steerer, so aren’t light. There was a Poplock lever that’s now lost but it is possible to pop out the return spring so the lockout can be applied via the dial.

poah
    Free Member

you can fit an 80mm airshaft to a 100mm reba/sid if you can find one cheap enough

you can also get lower spring weights for the suntour.

a lower leg service with lots of new grease will help stiction

rockhopper70

Pjay, how much would you want for those ?

rockhopper70

Bump revival please, not sorted out yet.

PJay
    Free Member

Sorry, I missed your post. I’d have thought that Junkyard’s Sids would be the best bet at that price as they’d be a better fork. You’re welcome to the Dukes if they’re any good but they are a tad weighty with the steel steerer and minus the Poplock lever. If you can collect that would be great or cover postage (guessing about £10-£15).

They haven’t been used for years so I’ve no idea what condition the internals might be (do seals deteriorate with age?).

Just out of interest I did a quick search on Ebay which throws up some affordable options (some new) – http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/Forks/177815/i.html?_from=R40&_nkw=80mm

Yak

German sites for rockshox gold 30s in 80mm. Quite light – c 1.6kg iirc and airsprung with decent damping.

Edit – they were cheap, not quite so now.

i_like_food

I had a similar situation for my son’s bike (there was a recent thread on kids 24″bikes).

I got a pair of 26″ 100mm Reba’s from the classifieds here and got an 80mm airshaft from TF tuned. Serviced them myself (first time I’d taken forks apart, a good learning experience) and all is good.

The only issue is small bump sensitivity, even with low pressures they are still too stiff over repeated small bumps.

Good luck, email me if do something similar and have questions about the servicing and fitting the airshaft.

Junkyard
    Free Member

I Missed this as well in an act of shonkiness

mail me and i will do pics of the sid tonight

keithb

I have a Manitou Skareb sat in the shed if it’s of use?

80mm travel, air spring, post mount disc only and 180mm straight 1&1/8th steerer.

Good general nick, really light and plush but a bit too flimsy for my bulk! Much better action that the Duke I currently have fitted.

In Nottingham if it’s of any use?

lister

Keithb, I’d be interested in the skareb if you still have it?

stevemorg2

marzocchi Marathon – nice and light, air sprung and white?

rockhopper70

Keithb, could you send me some pics of the skareb please, I’m in Halifax so it’d probably be a posting if your able to.

Steve, likewise, can you send some pics.

Both, thanks for the replies, I’ll look to junkyard’s sids first off but if they fall through I might be returning to you.

Edit. Keithb, I have a trip to Chesterfield next week for work so maybe I can divert if they are suitable. How much would you be looking at for them?

rockhopper70

It appear that Chesterfield is way way more north than Nottingham, so quite a detour….if you could consider a price posted?

rockhopper70

Anyone else?
    I’ve not heard further from any of the above possibles so still at square one.

stevemorg2

Didn’t you get the pics I sent?

rockhopper70

No, nothing here.
    Claytonmmdc 70 AT btinternet DOT com?

rockhopper70

Keith, did you receive my email?
    Steve, still nothing?

I’m wondering if there is a problem with my email account…

stevemorg2

have sent it twice – will try again later – am just off out

holmes81
    Free Member

Not wanting hijack the thread nor tread on Rockhoppers toes, I’m also looking for some 80mm forks, so if Rockhopper has passed hopefully we can come to some arrangement.

Thanks.

nuke

Id be looking for 2012 or earlier Rebas (or Sid)…find some 100mm ones or 120mm then just reduce the travel with all travel spacers down to whatever you like

rockhopper70

Holmes, I expect to be sorted with the Skarebs mentioned above today so I’ll update this once I know then you can hijack all you like!

Steve, no email turned up so I can’t think what’s happened here.

holmes81
    Free Member

Many thanks.

rockhopper70

Holmes, I’m sorted with the Skarebs now so take over!

Thanks for the help here posters and apologies on behalf of the email servers.

MadBillMcMad

My lad’s bike also had shitty suntour fork.

I put on a kona project 2 rigid.

Light and reliable.
    It was much better for his level of riding

dave_h
    Free Member

I struggled to get a set of 80mm forks for my middle child so settled on some 100mm Marz MX Pros and the slightly slacker head angle doesn’t seem to create him any problems. He can even stretch them out to 120mm if the going gets rough!

I’d go newer rather than older – my experience with Child No. 1 is that newer designs cope with the lower air pressures for little ones better than older, particularly on the rebound.

holmes81
    Free Member

Twonks, ygm (if the forks are still on offer)

Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)

The topic ‘Help me find a fork. 26", qr, 80mm travel and for a nipper.’ is closed to new replies.