Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Help me find a bike-sized bag (NOT a bike bag)
  • p7rich
    Free Member

Biking weekend away in a few weeks includes carting muddy bike in and out of a couple of Travelodges. I am looking for something that contains the bike (likely a bike-sized rectangle with open top edge) without having to faff dismantling, ideally something with a couple of shoulder straps.

Best thing a quick google throws up is this: http://www.wiggle.co.uk/ctc-plastic-bike-bag/

…but i can’t quite work out which edge opening is on and not sure it’s big enough for MTB.

Any better suggestions?

mikewsmith
    Free Member

used to use an old duvet cover to wrap mine in.

BoardinBob

http://www.duffbag.com/blog/2011/05/13/duffbag-monster-bike-bag/

Front wheel has to come off but apart from that it’ll swallow the rest of the bike in one

boblo
    Free Member

That plastic bag opens on the short edge. My old 23″ tourer fitted in it fully assembled no probs. with an MTB you could easily drop the seat if needs be.

You could also buy some polythene and do a made to measure if you have an MTB made for a giant.

FOG

Mrs FOG always moans about mud in the car so I bought one of those big bags from B&Q which builders use for sand etc. It’s a bit clumsy but is effective and cheap. If you could be bothered you could cut it to a more useful size .

spacecadett
    Free Member

I use an old broken air bed cut so my bike slides inside.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

As long as you’re carefull with the mech then my bikes fit in a bike bag with the wheels off and the bar’s/stem poking out.

BoardinBob

You’ll definitely get a full bike in the CTC bag but it’s an absolute faff. I bought a couple for putting the bike in the back of the car but it was a PITA getting them in and out. Duffbag Monster with the front wheel off is a hundred times quicker, cleaner, neater and easier.

KonaTC

I picked up a heavy duty nylon body bag from an Army Navy store a few years back, it measures 4’ by 8’ with a central zip; its fully waterproof and easily tales a bike. I usually take the front wheel off so it lies flat in the car and it only cost £10

p7rich
    Free Member

Thanks for all the leads. Looks like a toss-up between the Duffbag and CTC plastic jobbie. £65 vs a tenner. The builders sand bag sounds ideal, though probably a bit cumbersome??

I like the creative solutions but don’t have anything knocking about that suits.

Edric64
    Free Member

Anyone got away with a duffbag on a bus ?

_tom_
    Free Member

You dont need a bag to keep it in a travelodge room, just wheel it in.. we did take a tarp for the floor though so the carpets stayed clean.

bland

It’ll prob still be cleaner than the average travel lodge room, I seriously wouldn’t bother, just take a brush to brush the thick off

p7rich
    Free Member

Sorted. £12.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Help me find a bike-sized bag (NOT a bike bag)’ is closed to new replies.